aaa help, i'm depressed - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: help, i'm depressed

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14             16-Jul-02  @  02:40 PM   -   help, i'm depressed

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

*sniff*

not haveing backed up, not having a surge protector, i pulled the wrong plug out and fried my hard drive. bios won't see it, so i've just had to buy a new one. nearly two years work, some bits are backed up (a few logic songs) but the vast majority aren't.

*sniff* *sniff*

so who are the people who retrieve data from hard drives then? how much does it cost?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             16-Jul-02  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

k

eh?... how can you fry your harddrive like that?.. not possible surely?.. just pulling out the plug is like just shutting down without a proper shutdown sequence surely (i've done by accident enuff times as a newbie back in the day, and no worries)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/14             16-Jul-02  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

k

have you tried to access the drive in DOS ??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/14             16-Jul-02  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

beds

yeah nothing in dos either. the wire in the plug was loose, it must have shorted it.

i've seen one quote £680 for 30gig. ouch.

Message 5/14             16-Jul-02  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

k

sounds like you blew a component on the drive, the platters are prolly ok tho - yes it costs fucking packets to get data back from dead drives - sorry mate - hence my insistant advice on DT to buy a SMALL audio drive and use backup carts & a backup drive too.

Message 6/14             16-Jul-02  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

beds

yeah, but i never listen to advise, it's just too easy  

anyone reckon i can get the component board froma second hand identical drive, and just swap for the one i got? look easy, some screws and a litle snap on connection to the platters.

"it looks easy" - R.I.P.

Message 7/14             16-Jul-02  @  05:12 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

k

well it could work... i dunno.. opening a drive up.. eeek !

Message 8/14             16-Jul-02  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

bedwyr

thing is i wouldn't have to open it, the platters are encased, the board is screwed onto the outside, and connects through a snap on 4 wire connector.

haven't looked under the board though, might be more connections there.

just got another quote £85 within a week, feel a bit better now.

Message 9/14             16-Jul-02  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

k

excellent - good luck mate - (and get some backup drive PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!)

Message 10/14             16-Jul-02  @  07:12 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

bedwyr

damn, 85+vat is only for a diagnosis, then more depending on what is wrong.

anyone had any experience of this? i don't want to fork out a 100 squids only for them to tell me it's gonna be another 500, unless i got it covered.

what do you reckon about all the cracked software? think they'd snitch?

Message 11/14             17-Jul-02  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

drumz

Link?:  No link

as I understand it you are allowed to have a cracked copy of software that you own... Correct?

How can you get in trouble if you don't like inserting your cd constantly? or what if you were to lose your cd?

That's your software. tell'em to mind their own damn business...

my 2 cents

Message 12/14             17-Jul-02  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

damballah

Link?: Link

I've had Maxtor's setup utility program see and duplicate all the data on a drive the computer couldn't access anymore.

Message 13/14             18-Jul-02  @  01:14 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

beds

hmm. mine was a imb deathstar, notorious for bad sectors, but not the worst for power surge damage.

here's some feedback i got

"Some drives can be prone to power surges; Fujitsu and Quantum drives spring to mind. Quite often the data on the drive remains intact; it's just the electrics that need sorting out.

I can give you an exact price if you can tell me what drive you have; if (for example) it's a Fujitsu, the price on a no fix no fee is £960."

i bet the scum does it out of a garage in swindon. 960? bloody hell, if i can do this for the price of a new (second hand even) drive and just swap the electronics, it's gonna cost me 50 max. still, if i fck it up ...

Message 14/14             18-Jul-02  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: help, i'm depressed

Si

Link?: Link

Don't know if this is of any use to you seeing as how you can't actually see the hard drive in Windows but it might have some useful information.....

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=380ebb542832095e864cd9f612e47c54&threadid=120811

A complete forum thread on how to sort your dodgy IBM hard disk out!

Si.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)