aaa Incomprehensible bug! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Incomprehensible bug!

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/15             15-Jun-01  @  03:16 PM   -   Incomprehensible bug!

Timo.Kiviniemi

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Huh,

Yesterday I was working with my new project and something really annyoing happened. It was small bug but really annoying. I had midiloop, 16 bars long, which I had copied so it lasts 48 bars. However the velocity values were higher in the beginning of the loop than in the end and to make things loop smoothly I tried to use the draw-thing to quieten down those couple of bars in the beginning of the loop.

But what does Sonar. When I draw a velocity it mystically copies and pastes that 16 bar clip to 16 bars before the point I was editing!! Everytime I tried to draw velocities Sonar doubled those 16 bars!! Huh!

Small bug but in this level program, there definetly shouldn't be those. Those bug are reason for warez and stuff. Do you wanna spent 5 grand to some proggie, which won't work (or works badly) until you have changed every part in your computer.

Allthough you can do everything with your computer. I'm beginning to use my computer even less. It won't take long until I go and buy a hardware sequencer...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             15-Jun-01  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

sitar

Link?:  Link

Hmmm. I was drawing velocities yesterday and 3 days ago. Mine didn't do that. Mine weren't groove clips. Were yours groove clips? My only gripe was that I couldn't draw a straight line to save my life. Should look in the manual to see if there is a way to do that. Neither the shift, control, or alt keys kept the pencil on an even line.

Message 3/15             15-Jun-01  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

Timo.Kiviniemi

It did it again. Stupid Sonar.
Huh, I haven't even noticed that you can make groove midi clips. Maybe I should read that manual but it's so thick that I haven't got the courage to start reading it.

But still. The manual says Groove Clips are wav.files. I've noticed that some of the midi clips have those rounded edges so I'll guess those are groove clips then (and you can lenghten them) but how do I make Midi Groove Clip to regular midi clip?

Message 4/15             15-Jun-01  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

Brett B

check your drag-n-drop otions. if you copied them as linked clips it will apply changes from one to the other.

Message 5/15             16-Jun-01  @  12:50 AM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

k

RTFM for gods sake... make a big spliff, go to bed, & spend hours reading the book.... put in markers for the points you want to re-refer too... enjoy!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/15             16-Jun-01  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

Timo.Kiviniemi

I simply couldn't find anything what consider removing those round edges from midi clips. Neither I couldn't find anything about why some clips have those.

And it does it every time.
I'm not copying or pasting anything. I simply want to change velocity values of some notes and always Sonar copy/pastes some measures before note I want to make changes to. I can't understand why it makes it. I can get rid of it by using Bounce to Clips command with and make one longer loop but that's just too stupid.

Why do I have to make longer clip for to change a velocity value of some notes (If I alter values in event list it don't do that copying thing) and then split those clips again?

Ok, this is not a big problem but it annoyed me so much that I just had to start whining about it.

I can make every program crash if I want to - however usually those programs crahes when I don't want them to.

I'm such a whiner.

The mysterious CPU usage is still there. I got some help from Cakewalk couldn't manage to get rid of it.

Message 7/15             16-Jun-01  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

gb

About cpu usage... Did you read my reply to your post on that issue ?

Message 8/15             16-Jun-01  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

sitar

Sorry dude. Groove clips are .wav files. In any case the problem doesn't come up for me. There must be something that you need to select or deselect for that not to happen.

Message 9/15             17-Jun-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

k

let's just get one thing clarified here Timo: these clips on which you try to adjust velocity - are they AUDIO clips?... or midi parts?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/15             17-Jun-01  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

sitar

I think they're midi clips K. That was my mistake.

Message 11/15             19-Jun-01  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

Timo.Kiviniemi

I've read all the posts in here about the CPU usage but it's still there. But I've managed to get along with it.

Yup, Groove Clips are audio clips but haven't you noticed that when copying and pasting midiclips Sonar makes those rounded edges for them too. And you can grab to one end of that clip and strecth longer like you can do with audioclips. Those round edges can be removed by applying Bounce to Clips but unless you don't do it sometimes altering content in those clips causes that problem I was referring above.

Bounce to Clips that's the keyword but I still don't know why copying and pasting makes some MIDI-clips to be those round-edge clips rather than normal ones.

Message 12/15             19-Jun-01  @  10:00 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

gb

What I was saying about cpu usage is that according to the cpu meter comes with windows to measure it, my cpu usage is at around 10% when I do nothing and at around 50% if I wiggle the mouse while nothing is going on and that to me this indicates that the "cpu meter" isn't really that accurate...

So of course you'll manage to get along with it.

Message 13/15             20-Jun-01  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

Timo.Kiviniemi

I was referring to Sonars CPU meter and the problem was that when I have few effects and around 10 audio tracks my CPU usage is about 10-20% depending of what kind of effects I use but when there's a section in my song, where all audio ends and only midi tracks are playing the CPU usage jumps to 60-70 and allthough I would have effects that my machine can run when there's lot of audio I get dropouts and snap, crackles and pops when the CPU usage should be on it's minimum. The guy at Cakewalk shouldn't know what's the problem but I've had a really bad luck with computers and audio software - and hardware allthough synths and computers have been my hobby for about 6-7 years now.

Maybe I'll someday have enough money so I can walk into a musicstore and buy some Area 51 system or something similiar, which would work and if not repairing would be their job - not mine.

Message 14/15             20-Jun-01  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

gb

Oh, I see.

If you're running a PIII-550 the computer should certainly be fast enough. That leaves us (mostly) with software. Which would mean Sonar or the drivers you use.

If you already have the latest drivers and tried changing whatever settings may apply, then maybe you should try running Windows 2000 ? I use ME myself and it works fine on my hardware, but from what others say about 2000 it must be very fast and reliable.

Message 15/15             21-Jun-01  @  01:21 AM   -   RE: Incomprehensible bug!

k

the rounded edges means they are copies of the original surely?... if you then process the Bounce to Clips then it writes that clip as a NON copy in it's own right, thus it becomes normal shape... innit?

Viewing all 15 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)