aaa disk performance - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: disk performance

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 11-Feb-02  @  12:52 PM   -   disk performance

bster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

whilst running 4 stereo and 2 mono tracks in cubase VST 5.1 the performance panel shows the 'disk' is maxing out resulting in stuttering tracks.
my pc is 1.5 pentium4, 60 gig hard drive (partitioned) and 512 SDRAM, should this system be capable of more.
also my virtual memory is set at max and min 600 (600 what?)should i increase this or specify that windows manages virtual memory, will it make a difference?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/15             19-Feb-02  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: disk performance

onemind

Link?: Link

ok- the 2 messages I posted just above this one may have come across kinda confussing... just go to the one above...hehehe

Message 12/15             19-Feb-02  @  01:53 PM     Edit: 19-Feb-02  |  01:58 PM   -   RE: disk performance

k

Link?:  Link

that is WELL out of date tho remember, and for one thing i wouldnt recommend ANY of the cards on that page 'Dans hardware' for example which are mostly old & useless apart from a few listed such as the rme.

also for example it says stuff like:

"Unless you have a Pentium Pro you should have no less then 512k L2 cache or your VST performance will suffer heavily."

well that's rubbish cos it suggests a pentium pro is 'better' or prefeable due to it's larger second level cache - besides being 4 years out of date, actualy a pentium pro performs WORSE than a non-pro chip of the same speed cos PRO chips did NOT have the MMX extentions - i've tested this with two identical boxes and the non mmx 'pro' chip delivers zip compared to the same chip with mmx, despite the pro chip was running a fast u/w scsi drive and the non-pro was running an old ata33 eide drive system -

also it says pentium is the one and do NOT use amd etc - but that was written back in the old k6 days... He's recommending a Pentium 166MHz !! - mmx wasn't even invented then etc etc...

Also, the page 'Adjusting your timing for a accuracy of less then 1ms' - is also redundant now... as is the ram page. - but some of the page: 'Windows 95/98 performance tips' is relevent

so just watch out that what you read/do is relevent today.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/15             19-Feb-02  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: disk performance

onemind

Link?: Link

Good lookin. I just saw that it talked about thing such as DMA and other various settings one could make...--> 'Windows 95/98 performance tips'

Message 14/15             19-Feb-02  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: disk performance

k

you know we have a pc faq/tips here in pcware section?.. it's filling up bit by bit and there is articles too on vcache/vmemory etc

Message 15/15             24-Feb-02  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: disk performance

bster

been off-line for couple of weeks so i thought i'd pop in to say thanks.

b'ster

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)