aaa Win XP? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Win XP?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             25-May-01  @  04:24 AM   -   Win XP?

l0ckx

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

WHen is windows xp going to come out and do you think it will be an advantage over 98 ??

peace,
mike

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             25-May-01  @  02:00 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

Will

Its based around Win2000 which itself was based on WinNT and is so much more stable than 95, 98, ME. So it will crash (a lot) less. But its aimed at multimedia crowd as well so it should be a good platform for audio MIDI, and games. Its got facilities for System restore, and driver restore. Automatic update. Rather than vomiting 95 back up agin, its been totally reprogrammed. You can switch network connections in realtime with out having to restart, so I suppose that would be like being on multiple networks at the same time. Its also got native built in cd-rw support so you can just drag and drop files on it.

Message 3/16             25-May-01  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

pali

the latest is october 25th ish this year...

Of course it will be better! We won't already know all the 'issues' with it! seriously its supposed to be based on win2k, which i've been using for the last 4 months or so, as long as you've got WDM win2k specific drivers its an improvement. By the time xp comes out everything should be pretty much WDM. so in theory it should be good. however i've heard about some of the other new inclusions:

namely the os generates a code from your specific hardware and sends it to microsoft which then activates your os. however if you get a new pc then you can't use the os again! crap or what.

Also there are two versions, consumer and professional. Two notable differences is the consumer is single processor and single display only. whilst dual preocessor and monitors is only for the pro version all those people benfiting from matrox dual displays with there DAW are going to have no choice and some serious expense....

cheers

pali

Message 4/16             25-May-01  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

Jasper

great, sounds like a collosal privacy issue waiting to blow.. a bit like the intel processor fiasco.

why do you reckon they need to know what the details of your hardware are? so that advertisers can be in a better position to flood your mailbox and address with spam courtesy of microsoft?

Message 5/16             26-May-01  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

l0ckx

Jas .... its so you can't bootleg and copy the software.....

microsoft sucks......I konw this is insane, but why can't the world just trade food and commodities......to survive.....not for money :P

peace,
mike

Message 6/16             28-May-01  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

l0ckx

i think i heard on the radio may 31? maybe not :P

peace,
mike

Message 7/16             29-May-01  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

Link?: Link

I don't know that the only way to register will be via the online code. Believe it or not, not all people have internet access.

-Craig

Message 8/16             02-Jun-01  @  04:10 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

sitar

Link?:  Link

I'm using win98 and am quite happy with it except that the WDM drivers for my soundcard, due out any day, are only for win2k. I thought I had heard there are some issues with 2k which make creating music a bummer. I've heard that it's best to stick with 98 for now. However this was about 2 or 3 months ago. And soon XP will be out which we can't say anything about in terms of bugs. So you guys seem to be running music on win2k with no serious problems? Should I upgrade? I use Sonar btw.

Message 9/16             04-Jun-01  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

It depends on your hardware, and whether drivers are available for all of it. There's not driver for my MOTU MicroExpress so I'm stuck with 98 for now  

-Craig

Message 10/16             05-Jun-01  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

k

but where do people get this NT crashes less & is more stable than 98 from?.. not in my experience NT crashes alot more.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 11/16             05-Jun-01  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

I've been doing database development on Win2k for months now without a single crash, running everything from Oracle 8i and Cold Fusion to Quake III.

In general, NT was much more stable than 98 and Win2000 is far far far far more reliable than either. In my own personal experience. K, if you have NT crashing more than 98 you have a problem with your NT box. Maybe a crappy driver or semi-unsupported hardware. If your hardware is on the HCL you should be OK. Hardware detection and plug and play in 2k is miles beyond what's in 98, and NT isn't p'n'p at all.

Note: I do not use Win2k for audio, so all this may mean absolutely nothing.

Message 12/16             17-Sep-01  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

k

anyone using XP now then?.. wondered how you got on with it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/16             17-Sep-01  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

Mage

I've a got a friend who got a beta copy of winxp and he says it's great. And, as far as the hw code goes, for people without internet access there is supposed to be an 800 being set up to take care of them. But, I also happen to know that this new form of Microsoft domination and intrusion into the privacy of its customers has already been cracked, and, HELL FUCKIN' YEAH!!! I'll be damned if I'm gonna tell Microsoft when I'm gonna add a new hdd to my system. Although, I've also heard that the hw code thing only applies to major components, i.e hdd, mb, etc...

Message 14/16             21-Sep-01  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Win XP?

mickey

Only good experience so far. You've got to turn off all the eyecandy and stuff, but once that is done, it really is a great OS for audio/video production. No crashes so far!

Message 15/16             25-Sep-01  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

I had a horrible experience with Beta 2   Kept losing track of my drives (thinking I had no hard drives).. Then it'd complain about the swap file not being there 'cause it lost the drive it was sitting on  

Now that it's been released for real I'm going to have a go at it once we get it in at work..

-Craig

Message 16/16             27-Sep-01  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Win XP?

Shead

Anyone heard of hardware hash. XP sounds like it might be more stable, but it has a new nasty copy protection. It creates a profile of your hardware and won't load on another system with different hardware. This will make upgrading you computer a pain in the ass. Supposing your video card craps out and you have to replace it. Do you have to reload windows or what. What if you want to load the software on another computer that you bought to replace an older system. I don't advocate piracy but I never met a copy protection scheme I liked. They are never user freindly.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)