aaa automation problem - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: automation problem

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 06-Dec-01  @  04:20 PM   -   automation problem

tetsuo2

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I am working on a track and I can no longer record knob movements from audio instruments (exs24 or anything else). also, they wont respond to my drawn in cc messages, where they used to. and no I did not add any other plugins to the track... I am wondering if i deleted something by accident in the environment?

I am using logic 4.81 and mac os 9.2.2

oh and btw, automating works just fine on the autoload, so obviously something is amiss in just that song...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             09-Jan-02  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: automation problem

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

ok.... so, part_1... assign a track to an object... (s/w or hardware assigned input/thru)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/16             09-Jan-02  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: automation problem

k

[image file]

part_2 - hit record & record some fader move with the mouse, or hardware controller (OR MANUALY define the Controller to access hyperdraw)

record the moves which appear as vertical bars...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/16             09-Jan-02  @  06:29 PM     Edit: 09-Jan-02  |  06:30 PM   -   RE: automation problem

k

[image file]

after record, with the same part highlighted, hit the F3 key and the vector editing appears ready to tweak....

if you want to edit in piano roll , simply open that but remember to hit F3 AFTER opening to set the auto-define

You can whilst editing F3 assigned data quickly flip to F1 & F2 for pan & volume and back again to F3 for your auto-defined data.

hope that helps a bit..

Message 14/16             09-Jan-02  @  06:39 PM     Edit: 09-Jan-02  |  07:07 PM   -   RE: automation problem

k

by the way - use the magnifying glass tool for instant zoom in to a hyperdraw area from a minimised part (thin in depth with only the title showing)

simply draw with the mag' tool round the part-area & release for zoom in (works for multiple parts too & always zooms in to the draw-around area, NOT the cursor position) - also zoom seems to be affected by also holding down CONTROL key (CTRL) - use SHIFT and click with the same tool to zoom back out again to normal arrange zoom.

the smaller the area you drag around the larger the zoom in of course... but select a too-small selection & nothing happens, it seems to default to one bar size minimum.

anyways - with a reasonable hardware controller box or just your master keyboard etc or even with the pencil-tool, drawing in controller-moves and editing them should be fast & intuitive, although yes improvements could be made... but ahving vector style editing on the arrange page is better than VST's method with the little vertical bars which are rubbish it has to be said.

Message 15/16             09-Jan-02  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: automation problem

bedwyr

Link?: Link

wow! thanks k, i'll try that later to-nite. da iawn.

Message 16/16             10-Jan-02  @  03:50 PM   -   RE: automation problem

k

Link?:  No link

by the way, this technique of course works for your audio tracks faders etc.... use the A PLAYBACK (1-16) or B PLAYBACK (17-24) tracks.... select one of them... flip to your audio mixer environment layer - hit record and move the fader for the required channel.

go back to arrange page to see the part containing the mixer move... hit F3 and envelope appears ready to tweak... with multiple channels on the same merged part simply flip the F3 key to cycle round the various recorded channels fader moves.

This gives you SONAR-like envelope control on the arrange page for mixing parameters.

If you dont want to merge data copy the A PLAYBACK track as many times as you need it & re-title them for the required audio tracks you wish to automate, one for each channel if you like - you can keep them all in a FOLDER track for easy handling.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)