aaa Win XP? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Win XP?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 25-May-01  @  04:24 AM   -   Win XP?

l0ckx

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

WHen is windows xp going to come out and do you think it will be an advantage over 98 ??

peace,
mike

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             05-Jun-01  @  06:42 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

Link?: Link

I've been doing database development on Win2k for months now without a single crash, running everything from Oracle 8i and Cold Fusion to Quake III.

In general, NT was much more stable than 98 and Win2000 is far far far far more reliable than either. In my own personal experience. K, if you have NT crashing more than 98 you have a problem with your NT box. Maybe a crappy driver or semi-unsupported hardware. If your hardware is on the HCL you should be OK. Hardware detection and plug and play in 2k is miles beyond what's in 98, and NT isn't p'n'p at all.

Note: I do not use Win2k for audio, so all this may mean absolutely nothing.

Message 12/16             17-Sep-01  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

k

anyone using XP now then?.. wondered how you got on with it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/16             17-Sep-01  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

Mage

I've a got a friend who got a beta copy of winxp and he says it's great. And, as far as the hw code goes, for people without internet access there is supposed to be an 800 being set up to take care of them. But, I also happen to know that this new form of Microsoft domination and intrusion into the privacy of its customers has already been cracked, and, HELL FUCKIN' YEAH!!! I'll be damned if I'm gonna tell Microsoft when I'm gonna add a new hdd to my system. Although, I've also heard that the hw code thing only applies to major components, i.e hdd, mb, etc...

Message 14/16             21-Sep-01  @  11:29 AM   -   RE: Win XP?

mickey

Only good experience so far. You've got to turn off all the eyecandy and stuff, but once that is done, it really is a great OS for audio/video production. No crashes so far!

Message 15/16             25-Sep-01  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: Win XP?

99devils

I had a horrible experience with Beta 2   Kept losing track of my drives (thinking I had no hard drives).. Then it'd complain about the swap file not being there 'cause it lost the drive it was sitting on  

Now that it's been released for real I'm going to have a go at it once we get it in at work..

-Craig

Message 16/16             27-Sep-01  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Win XP?

Shead

Anyone heard of hardware hash. XP sounds like it might be more stable, but it has a new nasty copy protection. It creates a profile of your hardware and won't load on another system with different hardware. This will make upgrading you computer a pain in the ass. Supposing your video card craps out and you have to replace it. Do you have to reload windows or what. What if you want to load the software on another computer that you bought to replace an older system. I don't advocate piracy but I never met a copy protection scheme I liked. They are never user freindly.

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)