aaa What card would you buy for... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: What card would you buy for...

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 04-May-01  @  11:43 AM   -   What card would you buy for...

Joel

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

During the past 2 years ive been using SB Live card with APS Drivers wich is "OK" for starters, but iīm getting fed up and need a Profesional twist.
Iīm into House music and similar styles and my idea is to work completly under my computer wich is well prepared EXEPT the sound card.i have PIII Coppermine 866 Mhz, 512 MB, Asus MotherBoard two 17" monitors and lots of nš1 software progīs to blast the CPU to hell. What i would like is a card that takes the load off the CPU (DSPīs) and Sampler, Sinths ect...
I know there exist the Pulsar, Pulsar XTC, Yamaha SW1000XG, and other cards dedicated to what iīm asking BUT after reading out some comments made on these and other specific cards i just canīt make my mind.

Please any comments to save money and to gain more confidence on any of these cards or other cards not mentioned will be carefully taken into consideration.

What would you buy and why?

Many thankīs

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/16             08-May-01  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

omen_omen

Sorry i meant Creamware, not Creamwave

Message 12/16             08-May-01  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

99devils

Link?: Link

Joel, your machine should have enough guts to handle your sequencing, mixing, FX, and virtual instruments. The sound card you need will basically depend on how many ins and outs you need, latency figures, and the like.. The rest is gravy (things like internal DSP for mixing, FX, instruments).

Now, first things first. If you want to get higher quality sound out of your box, then you need at minimum something like the Midiman Audiophile card, which is just stereo in and out. That'll do it for you. Anything else, like I said, is gravy. You don't need a Creamware Pulsar.

Secondly, you must must must must learn how to use your software, especially Logic. Logic is where you're likely to do most of your mixing and whatnot. You really must get a handle on it. Acid makes a good tool for arranging loops into songs. If you would prefer to create your vst instrument sequences in logic and mix them down to wav files that you can then Acid-ize and use in Acid, that's fine. Whatever environment you decide to mix in you need to know hands down. The other option is to use Acid to prepare your loops, and then import those into Logic. I'd give you some Logic pointers but I'm a Cakewalk user.

Now, another thing - your sound card isn't going to affect the quality of the sound that winds up on a CD, if you mix inside the PC and burn the wav to CD directly, without audio leaving the computer. The card will only come into play while monitoring through speakers.

Does this help?

-Craig

Message 13/16             08-May-01  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Joel

It sure helps to know. All information is well taken into consideration before buying equipment especially if itīs expensive (you must choose correctly).

About the audio thing is i canīt manage to move around the cut waves in logic to be placed in any desired position in the arange screen no matter what quantise i have switched. If i cut a quarter of a BAR and want to place this piece on 3š Quarter of another BAR it allways sticks in its original area of the inserted bar. It just wonīt let me paste it anywere else exept the first quarter of bar. WHY (ive tried quantising... does anyone know the answer.)

Message 14/16             09-May-01  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

99devils

Kilo probably does. Try posting your question in the Logic forum.

-Craig

Message 15/16             01-Jun-01  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

Milan

Link?:  Link

try holding alt or shift or ctrl while draging.

Message 16/16             02-Jun-01  @  01:59 PM   -   RE: What card would you buy for...

k

thats the one... hold down the alt, shift & ctrl keys... experiment with each one and see what they do

Joel - like said above, your pc is more than adequate to handle producing a full-on house mix... if u use logic you will have logic's sampler... ok so you can use that for samples... loop go on audio tracks... then you got logic and vst synths... Logic 4.7 is VERY stable and plays vst synths great... so what you need bro' is a decent low latency efficient soundcard to enable you to play the synths & samples in realtime and as a sidenote it'll make your pc a bit more efficient... so... look at hoontech, midiman, Marian Marc, really as you have NO outboard you really only need stereo in/out and midi in/out, ut many good efficient cheap cards have more i/o's, so dont worry about that they can mebbe come in useful in the future... you dont need to spend more than 230-280 quid or 300 bucks in yank currency.... if U use logic try midiman audiophile and run it with EASI drivers...

the new logic5 comes soon and should blow the rest away.. but it WILL be expensive and like vst5 wont be available as an upgrade free... but current logic 4.7 is excellent and if you know it stick with it.... lemme tell you logic 4.7 runs vstfx & vsti's perfect, so if you DONT upgrade to it yet, do so.... then grab all the wicked vstfx that are free (there is 100 free ones in the dancetech FILES/SAMPLES section, just do a search for vst) and there are many many others....

You can use a drumbox, again there is quite a few freeware vsti drumboxes.... a vsti drumbox such as the great Linplug RMF etc whatever... all in all with Logic fx & vsti fx & instruments, plus the Logic sampler & ES1 synth, plus the audio loops on audio-tracks, you should have all you need to do great house tracks... the ONLY issue with running VSTi's in Logic is inability to get multiple outputs from the s/w to the s/w-mixer like they do in actual VST... thats a bit of a pain....

to save cpu stress, try working without a reverb at first and add reverbs at the end when mixing or use a smaller 'less-stress' reverb whilst composing and wire in a fatter 'verb when you come to mix etc...

overall the key to make it all come alive is a good fast soundcard... and for gods sake get Logic 4.7 - it's way better/efficient than 4.6 - also remember the Reason sampler auto-plays loops if the loops you load have had a loop-point assigned previously in your editor. Theoretical;y Logic should rewire Reason to, not tried it yet tho so i cant say how well it works

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)