aaa Best PC OS for Music - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Best PC OS for Music

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             17-Jul-01  @  12:14 AM   -   Best PC OS for Music

ecstatichigh

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK heres my situation. Next week i'm going to be getting a new PC which i will be using to record music with and sequence with using Cubase VST 5.

It will be Pentium III 1Ghz, 256MB RAM, 30 GB Harddrive. As a soundcard I will be using a Delta 44.

Now my question is that I have a choice between getting Windows 98 or Windows 2000 NT (thats NT not just regular windows 2000) on it. So which on is better for music or overall better for what i'm going to be doing with it???

Thanx in advance for any help.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             17-Jul-01  @  04:11 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

influx

Link?:  Link

DUDE!!!!

the same people read the same threads!!!! once will suffice, lad

Message 3/17             17-Jul-01  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

k

Link?: Link

NT ??...whats this NT version .. do you mean the diffrrence between 2000 & 2000 proffessional?.. cos surely win 2000 is win NT5 isn't it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/17             17-Jul-01  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

Jasper

Message 5/17             17-Jul-01  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

influx

Message 6/17             18-Jul-01  @  10:18 AM   -   quite possibly the worlds worst joke

Jasper

a man walks into a shop
he has a dollop of custard in one ear and a blob of jelly (gelatine wobbly stuff us peeps) in the other.

the shopkeeper says 'can I help you sir'

he replies 'speak up please, I'm a trifle deaf'

Message 7/17             18-Jul-01  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

99devils

Windows 2000 professional = Windows NT workstation
Windows 2000 Server = Windows NT Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server = NT Server with 8-way CPU support, clustering, and terminal services

Leave it to Microsoft to confuse the hell out of everyone.

-Craig

Message 8/17             19-Jul-01  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

influx

jasper...we call it jelly too

although I kinda like "gelatin wobbly stuff"

Message 9/17             19-Jul-01  @  08:04 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

opus

that was funny jasper! thanx

Message 10/17             22-Jul-01  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

technocats

Use windows 2000 professional. NT is a more stable program than any 98 (even from the new XP). Yes there will be some bugs to work out but thats expected with a newer OS. Remember it is a network client based OS so you might want to turn off its settings. Peace

Message 11/17             23-Jul-01  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

Brett B

what ever happened to BeOS being the multi-media savior? I think Radar runs on it.

So if I am using Windows 2000Professional, Does it take advantage of Dual CPU'S for use with Sonar?

Message 12/17             23-Jul-01  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

99devils

BeOS's "focus" was shifted from multimedia to internet. Many companies dropped their promised support.

Windows 2000 Professional supports dual CPUs. Depending on how the program is written, you may not get the most out of it (if it isn't fully multithreaded). At very least, though, you'd get the app on one CPU and plugins on another.

technocats@earthlink.net says:

NT is a more stable program than any 98 (even from the new XP).

NT is way more stable than 98, but good luck finding sound card drivers for it. Newer DirectX versions won't run on it, so throw out any applications that depend on that. NT is NOT a good music OS. As far as XP goes, XP is built on the Windows 2000 core. It will be more stable than NT if my experience with Windows 2000 is any indication. It will be much much better for music than NT. I was hoping to have more concrete information about XP for everyone by now, as I have access to the betas of the OS. But MOTU isn't coding Win2K drivers for my MIDI interface so I'm stuck with 98 until I can get a new one. Before you ask, no I cannot provide copies of the beta to you  

-Craig

Message 13/17             24-Jul-01  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

ellipsis9000

xp gives blowjobs to goats. i installed RC1 on a couple machines in the Palace, and system speed and reliability both went down, noticably. And i am not talking about on dinky machines. My dad's is a 1.2 ghz athy with a gig of ram and an ata100 HDD, mine is a 1.467 athy with 512 mb ddr ram and a raid 0 array of said hdd's. ing rollbacks. The only featurse about xp is that its interface is pretty. Win2k was the ONLY windows release to take less resources than the release before it, and is the most stable YTD. I plan on NOT getting XP, it is shit. Oh yea, and for you office users thinking of upgrading to office xp and winxp, to do so and achieve the SAME speed to complete tasks, you'll need roughly a 500 mhz proccessor INCREASE. blows goats, huh?

win2k is the donkey's balls when it comes to multimedia os's, as long as you are smart about it. the ONLY time my system crashes is when i am exiting counterstrike (speaking of which, i'd like to send a shout-out to static-x who i actually bumped into on a CS server the other day.) and that's cause HL is crapemetastic in terms of stability. And it takes over the screen and KB. so whatever. and yes k, i have cs installed on this machine *gasp* i also have premiere and orion installed. any wanna buy my hoontech? i dont need it anymore (no more hardware makes 8x8 inputs excessive)

aaron

Message 14/17             27-Jul-01  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

Brett B

does your hoontech have adat in?

Message 15/17             27-Jul-01  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

99devils

Well, XP crashes on every shutdown and doesn't like my DSP factory much, so I've been using 98. I'll reinstall when RC2 comes out.

I did really like the new GUI.

-Craig

Message 16/17             06-Aug-01  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

PointBeing

rc2 is out. xp takes like 30-40% more recources to run than the previous os (nt5, aka win2k) i dunno if it has adat in, i know it has sp/dif i/o..

Message 17/17             11-Aug-01  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Best PC OS for Music

Peppe

I use Windows 2000 with Cubase 5, a Delta-66 and a Midisport 8x8. With the new ASIO2-drivers from Midiman/M-Audio itīs stabil as a rock. I donīt regret a second that I upgraded. Been using it for a few months now. Never crashed once.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)