aaa Korg Oasys - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Korg Oasys

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/17             31-Jul-01  @  08:52 AM   -   Korg Oasys

Synthhead

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Howdy...
Does anyone own or use this card. Any comments +or-. Does the addition of the Triton PCM samples increase the cards polyphony? Doesn't sample playback take alot less dsp power than modeling? The price has dropped substantially yet few people seem to have bought one. Why?
Card looks good on paper but I have heard very little here or anywhere else about it. Can you run software synths though it in conjunction with the onboard synths without annoying latency. Any comments welcome.

Shead

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             31-Jul-01  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

Link?:  Link

you may want to e-mail korg on that. the issue may very well be native latency issues. Like many early DSP cards developed 3 and years ago, latency wasn't addressed. It is meant to be the fx, and synth engine, and not the computer. Also with oasis, you can only run 1 card. So you get 12 channels. Not a lot, so native tracks and fx is a must. so latency would be the deciding factor. Look inot the creamware pulsar. they clain functional latencies as low as 2ms, but I've read it's more like 6 from user.They have tons of modeled,fm, sampler, and pcm synths available for it.

Message 3/17             31-Jul-01  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Shead

did they ever get the bugs out of pulsar. I heard alot of people saying it was an immense resource hog and had slow redraws on screen and other problems. Can you produce a whole song with it. Does it work with Reality and other softsynths.

Message 4/17             03-Aug-01  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

According to creamwares site, pulsar requires the expansion dsp card to be a realtime synth assuming then that you can only sequence through it because of latency .

The Oasys is under $500 at GC now. I all for getting it. I needed Adat I/o and i like the Triton and Z1 sounds. I'll be picking ne up soon. Hell another few months and it may be even less. They must be planning a new version . The closeout ought to be a steal.

Message 5/17             03-Aug-01  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

k

Link?: Link

just type OASYS into the forum search - huge discussion in 9 parts it was so long - with tons of details.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/17             03-Aug-01  @  08:11 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

synthhead

I find it funny that there selling them for $499.00 since I remember a very long discussion from alot of people who said $2200.00 was a ridiculous price and a rep from the company named Dan defending the pricing structure in an unending manner. People were actually pissed that Korg would even ask that much for a sound card and Dan replying that that's what we had to sell them for. Moral of story the consumer has power. Where do you think all the huge multi-national corporations get there $$$$$$$. US. $499.00 actually seems a little low for the card. I bet there planning a new hardware revision. I don't see how they could make money at that price when they wanted to sell them at over $2000.00 To bad we couldn,t boycott the oil companies.

Message 7/17             03-Aug-01  @  08:58 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

It's a Guitar Center sale. They are probably getting rid of stock. They sold the DSP Factory card for $299 until they had non in stock. Then the price went back to $499. So it could be just a liquidation thing. Large retailers do that a lot. I am getting it. I feel like I just gave birth. I scrolled through all 8 of those sections looking for latency quotes. Alkio, stated he was getting 3ms with asio. Which should equate to symilar times with wavepipe MME. My Dsp factory runs about the same in ASIO as it does in Sonar. I hope anyway. I e-mailed DAn from korg, adn korg support to get a MME latency breakdown. If it runs under 10, I'll be happy.

Message 8/17             04-Aug-01  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

I can't find out what it will run like in Sonar. No one at cakewalk is using it, and no one at korg is using Sonar. All they say is it is considerably slower in MME than ASIO, and that no WDM drivers are planned. So yes, it is considerably slower in MME in an ASIO program, but hell my DS2416 is 750ms slow in Cubase with mme, but in Sonar it's the same as the ASIO in cubase at 28ms. So the only way i am going to find out is to buy the damn thing and test it. I really want the synths. I love Korg synths. They have a airy spacy sound and are very crisp. The modeled stuff sounds modeled but in a uniquely, good way. the electribe doesn't sound like a 303, but it sounds pretty cool. And the z1 was somthing I sought after for a while and never bought, as with the prophecy. This is why I am so torn between Sonar and Cubase. I love Sonar. It is the fastest environment for making tracks , and the quality surpasses everything I ever used, but it just doesn't support the hardware that the VSt programs do, and that sucks. I don't see it catching up in that area. It has never been a Cakewalk priority as with Logic, and Cubase.

Message 9/17             04-Aug-01  @  11:06 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Shead

If you buy one post a review. I can't find any reviews by real users that answer simple questions, such as real use polphony, latency with softsynths, audio quality ect. Web site says lots of new pcm syth programs. I would think the polyphony of these patches would be much higher since their only sample playback and require little dsp to run.

Message 10/17             04-Aug-01  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

Nothing on the polyphony of the new triton sounds, but I did read that it has an ASIO buffer range of 64-512. So soft synth latency would be from 1.5-12 ms out put , and 3-24 for realt time response. So the drivers are fast for VST apps. But i am in Sonar now. And MME is my question. No one seems to have tried the two together. I have been through all the threads, e-mailed korg and cakewalk, and searched Sonai State. Are there any Korg user news groups that i may be missing.

Message 11/17             05-Aug-01  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

norsez

Link?: Link

I bought one when it became cheaper. The polyphony is still little. Some PCM algos eats more DSP than some PM algos, e.g. Argon4+ Vs. B3. But I only sample these sounds for use in my music so the low polyphony is not a big problem for me. I heard you can get low latency ASIO with OASYS, but it just doesn't happen on my system. With the largest buffer and all the optimization suggested in OASYS FAQ, I still get cracklings when record on my PIII-550 MHz. Overall I am pretty happy with it though.

Message 12/17             05-Aug-01  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

crackling sounds like a hardware conflict or timing problem. Do you have another card installed? With low latency buffers around 64 you definatly need a powerful pc to utilize them. At 512, you should be ok. My DSP factory got 28ms latency at the 512 buffer and i was able to run 40 24 bit tracks with fx on a PII 400 without incident. I get 60 out of my PIII800 at the same settings. So you may have a bad ground on the card or a hardware conflict cuasing the interuption in sample acurate timing. Check the pci screw to see that it is seated properly to the case. Other than that, try removing other periferals to see if it solves the problem. IE motums with Audio drivers, and gameing devices etc.

Message 13/17             06-Aug-01  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

norsez

No it's a clean box. OASYS is the only card in the system. I already set the largest buffer (4 buffers 512 samples). I just think OASYS just doesn't work the same way on the same machine as I have seen many people with different unlikely problems on the OASYS list.

Message 14/17             07-Aug-01  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Shead

This is why people buy hardware. I've owned both and after owning 5 different keyboards and several tone modules and two drum machines they with a couple of rare exceptions NEVER gave me ANY problems. Just plug and play.
Sounds like the perfect sound card is still years away.

Message 15/17             09-Aug-01  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Shead

Could this card co-exist with a soundblaster card? Could I run the digital out from my SB to the spdif in on the oasys? I want to run a softsynth through SB then back into oasys to avoid latency issues.

Message 16/17             09-Aug-01  @  05:42 AM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Shead

Could this card co-exist with a soundblaster card? Could I run the digital out from my SB to the spdif in on the oasys? I want to run a softsynth through SB then back into oasys to avoid latency issues.

Message 17/17             10-Aug-01  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Korg Oasys

Brett B

you could run another low latency card , and have the oasys out going to a mixer and back into a diferant card for the audio device. The oasys can be run as a stand alone fx, synth unit, while the other card handles all pc i/o. But note that the ASIO drivers for the oasys are faster than your SB live. And the oasys uses adat as well. You would probably be better off running the oasys without the sblive present. They have tested it with cards listed on thier site. I believe, protools, creamware, and a couple of others. I may buy one and throw it in a mini tower by itself just to use the fx and synths. $500 for such a versitle piece, and a I can build a cheap pc for next to nothing. since I am in Sonar and no WDM drivers are comming for oasys, then i will need to run it on 98, and my main audio pc on 2000.

Viewing all 17 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)