aaa bitstream - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: bitstream

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/20             30-Dec-01  @  01:47 AM   -   bitstream

outland

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

howdy, I'm interested in the Bitstream by waveidea for controlling the redrum, and mixer in reason. Any comments on it? I would like to have a channel cut option, I'm not sure if it supports this?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             10-Jan-02  @  02:49 PM     Edit: 10-Jan-02  |  03:11 PM   -   RE: bitstream

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Just bought a Kenton Control Freak SE for about £125 UKP cheaper than the Bitstream Pro... (£225 ukp) and from what I'm hearing and from what I've found out I'm *really* glad I've got the Kenton..

I'm not trashing the bitstream, but on talking to people from both companies and people who bought them it seems like one solution (Control Freak) has been thought out a lot better than the other, even if on the surface it doesn't look quite as appealing...

The Bitstream has more controllers (8 30mm Sliders, 32 knobs and a few other buttons) against the ControlFreak SEs (16 60mm Sliders, 16 Buttons, 8Function buttons & Datawheel) which on the surface, looks a lot better specified but I hear the implimentation of them is really messy and as a result it isn't as configurable as the Control Freak e.g. The Bitstream is limited to sending CC numbers on specific knobs/sliders only.. knob 1 will only send out CC on 1, 31, 81 etc.etc...)

Bitstream has less memories than the Kenton (both "snapshot/scene" memories and program memories for "complete configurations"). The Kenton holds 256 Snapshot memories and 64 Program memories (so you could hold all necessary configs for VST, Reason, Pro52, Junglist, etc.etc.)

Also, the midi implimentation isn't as extensive -both allow NRPN, Sysex etc. but the bitstream is limited to less bytes per message etc.

They both come with PC based editors to make assigning controls easier, and I know that the Freak comes with premade templates for many synths, VSTIs, and apps (such as Cubase VST, Reason, Logic) and making your own is dead simple!!

I've also heard spurious things about the build quality of the bitstream.. though without actually using one I can't testify for or against that.. I do know that the Control Freak is pretty farkin' solid..

Its a shame Waveidea only sell the bitstream via their website, so its hard to go and actually get a play on one to see how it performs...

I can start to see why Control Surfaces like Emagics Logic Control and Steinberg's Houston are more expensive though, with the implimentation of motorised controls and stuff.. though whether they should be *that* expensive is open to question...

There are plenty of other features I'd like to see implimented in a good control surface, but for now the Control Freak gets my vote - can't really say a bad thing about it at the mo'...

Marc_D

Message 3/20             10-Jan-02  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: bitstream

Brett B

What ever happend to the Novation Controller/ I use my o1v mixer for all remote needs.

Message 4/20             15-Jan-02  @  03:30 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dave_outland

That Novation controller is a bit behind schedual from what I've read. Too bad, it looks kewl. Uhm, so anyways, you're saying that the Kenton stands up a bit better in the configuration dept. hey? Personally, the look of the Bitstream seems like it would be easier for me to make the connection between what's on the pc's screen and the physical unit itself. However I've never used a controller before, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
I don't know of any site's that sell the kenton online, if you do could you please let me know, thanks.

Message 5/20             15-Jan-02  @  06:39 AM   -   RE: bitstream

influx

Link?:  Link

I know someone that bought the radikal tech SAC-2k thing...

sure looks cool, but $1500? jeez

Message 6/20             15-Jan-02  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dARKSTATe

www.kenton.co.uk

www.turnkey.uk.com

The Bitstream does on the surface look simpler, but I didn't like the idea of always having to use the same controls for the same cc, without any option of re-configuring them.. also, the fact that it seemed to only have THREE program locations (for complete configurations) seemed really limited..

With the Kenton, they actually seem to listen to users and upgrade the firmware periodically with new stuff (like beefing the snapshot memory upto 256 scenes etc.)

There are other useful design features that show its been well thought out, like using the shift key for "auditioning" sliders/buttons etc. so you know what they are without changing the value etc. (The name of the control appears in the LCD)

The more expensive controller surfaces like the one influx mentioned are indeed VERY tasty, but the prices (for now) are prohibitive and take up of control surfaces is slow (people are still too used to slow and clunky clicking with their mice..)

Message 7/20             15-Jan-02  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: bitstream

outland

Just thinking about the setup. On the website, it says that you need a midi in/out soundcard to hook up the bitstream. I have a s/b live card, if I got one of those game port midi dongle things would that work?

Message 8/20             15-Jan-02  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: bitstream

Brett B

Why not use the waveidea midi-remaper to control various things in reason with any midi controler. you could make up differant presets in midi remapper for all of your reason needs and just use a keyboard with a couple of knobs to do eveything.

Message 9/20             16-Jan-02  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: bitstream

outland

ok? Sure, why not. Uhm, don't really know what the midi remaper does. Does it come with the controller anyways? Anyways, could someone please tell me if I can use my sb live to connect the bitstream or not? Thanks

Message 10/20             17-Jan-02  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dARKSTATe

Yes, you can use the joyport adapter thingy with midi in and out connectors....

My vote still goes on the Kenton though...  

M_D

Message 11/20             17-Jan-02  @  05:28 PM   -   RE: bitstream

Brett B

midi remapper is a program from waveidea that remaps controler data on specific ports and channels. So you can have one midi controler with preset controler numbers be used to control anything universally by making presets for each piece of gear or software. Also it can be used to remap controler data made for one synth to work identicaly with another. It runs open with any sequencing or softsynths program. There is more info on the waveiedea website.

Message 12/20             17-Jan-02  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: bitstream

moujik

Link?:  Link

But doesnt Reason have midi learn anyway? I havent used it for a while, but I'm pretty sure I was remapping my CS1X controllers which are hardwired to cutoff, res etc to some of Reasons more..ahem...esoteric features.

Agree with Marc tho - Kenton stuff looks best of the "budget" controllers; personally I got a Darkstar cos it seemed like buying a controller & getting a free synth.

Message 13/20             17-Jan-02  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: bitstream

outland

You could use the darkstar to controll reason?
Crazy, I own a Korg Ea-1, could I use it to control certain paremeters if I wanted. ie: knobs on the efx,synth, sampler, type stuff?
That would be totally kewl.

Message 14/20             18-Jan-02  @  07:06 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dave_outland

sorry for all the 'dumb' questions here.
But here's another. What would you use a jog wheel for on a controller? Preview diff patches?

Message 15/20             18-Jan-02  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: bitstream

horizens

File?:  [image]

[image file]

wait! i just got back from the NAMM show and
got to use the surface one and oxygen8 from
midiman. both were DOPE. especially the
surface one. this thing is going to sell like
hotcakes. it's connected with either USB or
midi. any of the 16 pots (endless rotary), 8
sliders or 8 buttons can trigger (play notes
and send CC messages) any of the modules
in reason as well as control any parameter of
the mixer. it's sturdy and should be reasonably
priced. CHECK IT OUT!!!

the oxygen8 was cool as well if you are
looking for a portable keyboard with knobs to
control reason or any other soft synth. built
well.

Message 16/20             18-Jan-02  @  09:19 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dARKSTATe

Heh!

I love my control freak se (16 Sliders) was tempted to compliment it with another Control Freak Live (16 Knobs) and just have a bollock load of control...

But now seeing the Surface one.. I might just splash out on that, depending on price.. (okay.. cost wise it means spending around £500 approx. total on both controllers.. and although the setup still wouldn't be "motorised" its a shit load of control for a LOT less than the more expensive solutions like Houston, Logic Control etc..)

MORE POWER!!! HURRR HURR HURRR!!!!

M_D

Message 17/20             18-Jan-02  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: bitstream

Brett B

Sorry, ea-1 sends sysex on the knobs not controler data. Don't know about the dark star. If it sends controler data when knobs are turned, yes it can control reason parameters. II still have'nt figured out how to record automation. I have been drawing my controlers.

Message 18/20             20-Jan-02  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: bitstream

dave_outland

again though, someone please tell me what you use a job wheel for?

Message 19/20             21-Jan-02  @  09:56 AM     Edit: 21-Jan-02  |  09:57 AM   -   RE: bitstream

dARKSTATe

Jog Wheel? I dunno, its just another rotary controller for data entry I guess.. Have it mapped to send data for program changes or something...

Been working out a bit more of the VSTI automation thing with the Freak.. very cool... Looks like we have a mix of some instruments sending receiving using Midi CC only... and some using SysEx... so far..

Pro52 - MidiCC
Model E, Neon, JX16 - SysEx

I'm gonna spend a little (boring) time getting these and other stuff mapped out and then post up the profiles here or at Kenton.co.uk or something....

Whatever you chose ultimately, you want a control surface that lets you send out controller data in all kinds of flavours (CC, SysEx, NRPNs etc.etc.)

Message 20/20             21-Jan-02  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: bitstream

Brett B

Midi remaper will send CC as sysex so you can use it convert cc that draw in the sequemcer to sysex for older gear like juino, mks-80 or an electribe ea-41. Most sequencers will record sysex, but don't allow graphical edint like controler data.

Viewing all 20 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)