aaa velocity scaling using the transform command - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: velocity scaling using the transform command

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 02-Jan-01  @  01:33 PM   -   velocity scaling using the transform command

byte

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

i cant figure out how to scale velocities (exponential fade ins and outs etc) with the transform command (functions -> transform) in the matrix editor. does anyone feel like making me happy by sharing some info about this?

thanks in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/22             02-Feb-01  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

mrjackson5

I'm thinking you guys might have the wrong impression of what the relative crescendo is for. I originally thought it would, for example, fade all the note's velocity values from their current value to exactly another one.

but...

Imagine the value 0 being the notes current velocity, any positive value will add to it(127 = +127 velocity, BTW), any negative val will subtract. It is actually still a useful tool, just not what I was expecting.

I haven't found a way to perform what I originally thought it was in Logic, but I'm not fussed because I'm not using many velocity altered(ie tone brightness change, whatever) sounds, so I just use the hyperdraw the volume instead.

A couple of notes:
One thing that confused me was the selection of the notes in which the crescendo takes place. Make sure that the Position...Inside values are set to exactly the beginning and end of your set of notes. The amount it uses defaults to the last used length, not the length of the group of notes currently selected.

And jj, using the crescendo function, 127 is max velocity, so setting the final value to 300 means the fade in will simply reach max velocity earlier.

Message 12/22             04-Feb-01  @  06:08 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

i know what velocity scaling is, and how on earth do you quickly do this in logic.. thats the point... when you are working you dont want to 'imagine' abstract ideas.. you just want the fucking velocity to scale to your settings... simple, but not in logic.. big fuck up! - that hyperdrawing volume is a no no cos it'll hyper-edit ALL the drums on that channelwhich is not the same thing at all... no good.

Message 13/22             05-Feb-01  @  12:41 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

mrjackson5

Sorry, I can't see what's wrong with this way of doing it. Once you know how, it's quick as.

Message 14/22             06-Feb-01  @  04:22 AM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

so you are saying 'crescendo' is velocity scaling

if you create a snare pattern say of like fast 16th notes but with varied velocities per note, the 'crescendo' function allows you to draw up the over-all 'volume' of the snare roll 'part' (on the same midi channel as the rest of the kit), whilst still retaining the difference relative to each other in velocity....

thats what i call 'velocity scaling' - is that what you mean 'crescendo' does mrjackson5 ??... and if yes, is that in hyperedit (dont have logic on this week.

Message 15/22             06-Feb-01  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

mj5

The Relative Crescendo is used for this, as I explained in the first reply. Yeah, unfortunately I haven't found a way to do it with Hyperedit or Hyperdraw.

Message 16/22             07-Feb-01  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

k

doh!!! -

Message 17/22             09-Feb-01  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

Jasper

right... so tell you what. give us the settings that work for a relative cresendo from 0% to 100% ok? cos I really can't be arsed to fiddle with this totally pants part of logic.

Message 18/22             09-Feb-01  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

mj5

No need to sound so rude, I've got nothing to do with Emagic myself. So if you want me to do something for you, ask nicely next time.

If you did just try fiddling for a minute or two you'd figure it out. Or that it might not actually be the tool you're after(like I mentioned).

Message 19/22             13-Feb-01  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

Jasper

no rudeness intended sorry, more joking like.

anyway I tried fiddling for something around 1 and half hours. I only get 2 or 3 hours a night as it is..

also, plenty of people ask - 'how do I get this techno sound etc, how do I get that style of beat' and I tell em cos I know how frustrating this all is, especially to people who only have limited time to work in.

Message 20/22             13-Feb-01  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: velocity scaling using the transform command

sitar

Link?:  Link

I'd like to know too 'cause I'll be going back to Logic to do some more work on some tunes I've got in it. I've been working in Cake for a few months now.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)