aaa laws of usb - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: laws of usb

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 03-Jan-02  @  07:47 AM   -   laws of usb

e.t.

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

ok lame title.
I am just at the starting point of this--searching for the next big/faster protocol. usb is it.

wel its already here, I am using it as such. Midi/audio/sampler(akai.sys)yes..

Everthing is working ok, Let me tell you it has taken loads of time to conquer it. I am finally relieved fuck!

The point of this is...I dont notice a bif differnece from my older set-up.

boo- technology is mysterious, and it is unforgiving.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             04-Jan-02  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

Link?: Link

2x2 is usb only

Message 12/23             04-Jan-02  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

At the mo' I'd pick 98Se every time... still creaks a bit but everything works and the USB Midisport 4x4 is solid as fuck! Nice price for that and my luvly new Control Freak blagged outta Turdkey too..

;)

Message 13/23             04-Jan-02  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Windows 200 and XP are rocks if your drivers are sorted. Plus if you're running Sonar you only get the advantages of kernel streaming with 2k or XP. There are plenty of good reasons to go with the newer OSes, but everything is an experiment, no?  

-Craig

Message 14/23             07-Jan-02  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

"..if your drivers are sorted.."

And there lies the rub... there's just not enough confidence methinks in drivers and compatibility for these new O/Ses when talking about the vast range of products out there...

Driver development takes $$$ I guess and at this stage for music products its still early days - perhaps this is why people are still a little skeptical about upgrading...

:|

Message 15/23             07-Jan-02  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

We're arguing the same thing.. It's a wide internet   Chances are you can find someone who's tried that OS with your soundcard. Find out their experiences.. But if you're just blindly experimenting by putting on the new OS, then be prepared to have to backpeddle.

-Craig

Message 16/23             08-Jan-02  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

sox

Link?:  Link

What about us geezers who buy laptops and they don't do Win98SE. I got the Dell 8100, it came with WinME. I put SE on it and then went to the Dell site to get 98 drivers and guess what....
Win98 not supported.
Another case of the enduser being shafted by Microsoft. They release a new OS and then tell all their suppliers to use it or they'll stop supplying them with an OS probably. Really f**ks me off.

sox

Message 17/23             08-Jan-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

There should be no reason why a machine is compatible with ME and not 98. You've probably done something wrong there.

-Craig

Message 18/23             09-Jan-02  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

sox

Yeah, I didn't spend 4 hours + on searching for Win98 drivers for the laptop and another 2-3 days (possibly more) installing and uninstalling to get them to work. (Never mind finding drivers to work the newer soundcard functions with VST)
I know this because I did just a Sony Vaio laptop for someone. Removing Win2000 and replacing with Win98SE. Another one with Win98 not supported by the manufacturer. I've been able to get everything to work so far 'cept the modem. They're using it for video and the programs he uses aren't Win2000 compatible.
Maybe someone could tell me why they don't write the drivers for Win98 and newer machines. Are everyones financial resources being used to write XP drivers only?

sox

Message 19/23             09-Jan-02  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Win ME and Win2000 aren't the same thing, but I assume you knew that.. ME and 98 have basically the same kernel, and you could use a 95 driver under 98SE as well.

-Craig

Message 20/23             09-Jan-02  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Inspiron 8100?

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)