aaa Why no DSP cards for DX - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Why no DSP cards for DX

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 25-May-01  @  07:14 PM   -   Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

I understand that Sonar is the first professional grade direct x platform, but I would think companies like TC and creamware would would want to cash in on the success of this new platform, and it's potential. Also the new uad-1 is a nice looking plug-in based dsp card will run as vst and MAS.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/26             31-May-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

TC e-mailed me back and said it was not possible as the software to control the card is only written for the VST native environment. All i was saying, is it is worth spending a $1000 for somthing like the Univerersal Audio's UAD-1 pwered plug-ins. The chip they put on it is massive, and if it will allow me to get the kind of outboard gear quality into my mixining environment it is worth it. As for a $20k rig. The system starts at $7900 and comes with alot. The price goes up for things like $12k pro-controlers and $3000 for a 888 and aditional farm cards. Because UAD-1 uses one chip the resource allocation on it is open and not restricted like mutichip cards can be. This enables them to right huge reverb algorythms. It's the same price is outbaord gear, it works like outboard gear, but it integrates into your virtual mixer. It's ingenious. When they figure out how to allocate cpu on a muti-cpu pc so one is dedicated to plug-ins, this design will be obsolete, but this is what we have right now. Thinking cost effectivly. You get a bunch of studio quality hardware like plug-ins and the hardware for less then the Waves Native Gold Bundle.

Message 12/26             02-Jun-01  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Formant

Link?: Link

i got the waves gold bundle for $780 or something like that... (native)

its not too expensive compared to TDM

jamey

Message 13/26             03-Jun-01  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

well i love sonar, but i am simply ready for protools. i always wondered how bt sounds were so strange and expresive, as well as the seperation of track audibly. I thought if he was using logic, well i can do it with cubase. well he uses protools with logic as the interface and credits his sound production to the tdm virus, koblo, and tdm sound blender plug-in and mac vst sfx machine. i am so ready for protools. I am getting a mac g4 and going to track down a used mix 24 system. i found one on ebay for $4500, but i am ready for that kind of dependability and quality. He and sasha just finished an album using no hardware. just vst and protools synths and plug-ins. I know we can do good sounding mixes on this platform(sonar). i have some good tracks done now, but I want great tracks and a killer album, and nothing else will do. i think this track i am in now might be my last with out protools. I am going to lease the hardware if i have to. i should have enough for an album by christmas. It's a lot of dosh to spend, but you will never be left wanting more if you run native and dsp based algorythms. Best of both worlds. My sequences rock and my arrangments are great. but i can never make my mixes and fx sound as good as the people i emulate unless i use the same tools. It may take me a while but i will be on protools soon. No more substitutes. If i would have just bought protools instead of all the gear i have, i would be in business. they have some good career opertunities i am looking into as well.

Message 14/26             04-Jun-01  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

k

you should talk to digidesign direct for s/h, they do leasing , scheme's and i think they do second user trade-in packages, which'd be supported by them as the bonus.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/26             05-Jun-01  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

yes i asked them about leasing and second hand. they told me they don't sell the used stuff directly, but i could find it on their user pages, and leasing is through authorized dealers. I have a good one in Dallas here. i called the dept. head today. i am waiting for a phone call. I think i am going to sell my setup as turn key and buy a mac G4. i might have a few weeks to a month down, but i am busy and have litle time for music right now anyway. i would use my PII, as the next version of protools is going to support win2000, but the VST plug-ins I like are all Mac. Like sfx machine. You know of a PC VST version of anything that does that kind of layering of fx fro processing? Everthing else i want is TDM, so mac or pc is irrelavent. And logic 5.0 looks nice. With direct connect and the ESB i could run both TDM and VST simaltaneously. All those soft synths would plug right into the TDM mix environment. I could get away with using the adat bridge for i/o with my o1v, or i could sell it and buy a used 888 . I only have a few instruments left, and the sofsyhts in the new logic are sweet. I may just keep my mks-80 and use the TDM virus and VST synths for everything. Then there is sample cellII. I get excited to think of having all that power in my little studio. At any rate e-bay has plenty of digidesign gear changing hands. If i am patient and hunt down everthing , i can do it reasonably. I am off to downlaod the second patch. talk to you later .

Message 16/26             06-Jun-01  @  09:06 AM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

i was thinking. do you need the protools software to run Logic on the mix24 card? Why not just buy a mix24card for $2000 and Logic. It appears that the core system consists of a card and protools 5.1 for $8000, but additional cards are only $2000 more. On e-bay there are plenty of copies of 5.1 going around with authoriztions left on them. So it seems you pay $5000 for the software, and $2000 for the hardware. That's a little insane. I emailed Logic, again to see if you need the protools software to run logic on the TDM hardware.

Message 17/26             06-Jun-01  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Brett B

i meant to say you pay $6000 for the software and $2000 for the mixcards

Message 18/26             06-Jun-01  @  01:33 PM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Formant

not to be rude or anything brett (you seem like a cool guy) but i don't think buying new gear will give you better tunes or make you a better producer.

protools wont:

give you better separation or sound on your mixes

help you arrange tracks better

make audio editing/midi any easier

help you eq your mix correctly

etc etc

the only thing protools will allow you to do is maybe not have to mess with gear setups and bugs.... you can just get to work. maybe in the end that will help you get to some of the above goals etc.

a lot of people jump from platform to sequencer to sequencer etc just to find that they write the same quality tracks they did previously.

so anyway, it seems like you are set so have a blast at it but don't think buying more/better gear is a magic wand for getting you to the next "level"

what will probably get you to the next level is hanging out in the studio with people who produce better than you do so you can learn from them. i am sure thats how the bedrock/bt/etc crew learned the minute details that make thier tunes sound sooooo good.

good luck man!

jamey

Message 19/26             06-Jun-01  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

Formant

hey brett btw, i want to hear what you are doing trackwise....

here are some links to stuff i am working on:

http://www.devoutartists.com/mp3/formantnewone.mp3

http://www.devoutartists.com/mp3/formant.mp3

http://www.devoutartists.com/mp3/anything.mp3

those are all smallish mp3 files at full quality.

my setup is o1v, jv1010, reaktor, nord micro modular, sonar, waves plugs, and a kawai k5000 as a controller.

jamey

Message 20/26             06-Jun-01  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: Why no DSP cards for DX

99devils

I agree with Formant, and $8k is WAY too much to spend on a project recording setup, IMHO.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 26 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)