aaa usb midi interfaces? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: usb midi interfaces?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 01-Jul-00  @  02:44 PM   -   usb midi interfaces?

phunkytek

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I recently had to buy a 1 in 1 out midiman pc card interface because my opcode studio 64x would not work with the editing software for my Nord Modular. At Guitar Center they offered me a USB interface but I knew nothing of the quality or if my system supported it. I checked my computer and it is USB ready, and I was wondering if the performance of USB exceeds serial interfaces. Is the timing better, and does clock and smpte lock up well? I plan to sell the 64x and buy a new multi-port. Can you chain USB togther?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/35             10-Jul-00  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

infuzion

MidiMan has a USB 4x4 out now, & soon will have a USB/Serial 8x8 that includes SMPTE & stand-alone patchbay.

Message 12/35             10-Jul-00  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

99devils

Yeah, but the patchbays on these things are only port-to-port. I need to route channels, since I've got 1 RM1X and 3 or 4 sound sources... Or at least I need one that I can program to filter out 15 of 16 channels worth of data going to the CS1X.

-Craig

Message 13/35             19-Jul-00  @  03:51 AM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

influx

Link?:  Link

craig..totally off topic here..but you said something about the virus in multi mode..and using patches that make no sound? Why not just turn the particular channels off?

I HATE that thing in multimode tho. Im a duff and cant figure out why the singles that I use sound different than when in single mode...fuck

as for the midi deal. USB is sposed to be way tighter, but I dont know SHIT so..sorry

Message 14/35             19-Jul-00  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

99devils

The Virus isn't the problem, it's the CS1X. And you can't (easily) turn the other channels off on it. I love the Virus multi-mode :-) It's very easy. I could turn them off, but I'm lazy ;-) If you save a patch with osc volume set to 0 or output set to zero in slot A1 then your multis are automatically set up :-) Polyphony could be affected, but I haven't run into any problems yet.

I don't have a problem with patches sounding different, though... Are you using the chorus and delay? How about Unison? Those are the only things that should be affected in multimode.

-Craig

Message 15/35             19-Jul-00  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

99devils

I just realized that the above only applies to a Virus A (which I think you have?) If you have a KB or B, then things could/would be different...

-Craig

Message 16/35             19-Jul-00  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

influx

nope. its the A.

what happens is this:

I got a patch runnin with filter 1 bein high pass, about 30 percent envelope medium decay, then filter 2 is a lopass about 50%, bout 30% rez on both...

LFO1 to filter gain to make it move a bit, LFO2 to cutoff for filt 1 and 2, full.

NOW...in the sequence, in single mode..this sound is SWEET and all over the place...but when I put it in multi its just dry hipass lopass..no LFOs NOTHING.

also, in multimode..when doing knob tweaking..for some reason the filter will be affected for other midi channels than the one the patch Im using is on.

Am I trippin?

Message 17/35             19-Jul-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

99devils

I don't know what to tell you dude, but it ain't happening on my Virus... I'll do some tests on mine to make sure, but I think I'd have heard it by now ;-) In fact, I'm almost positive this isn't happening... In Retribution I've got LFOs modulating pans on one patch and filter on another, and in multi mode the pans still pan, and the filter still moves...

I _know_ for a fact that twiddling cutoff on one channel does not affect other patches in the multi, at least not from the panel. I know I've recorded cutoff twiddling on independent channels and it plays back fine from the sequencer. Ditto the panel.

Dunno, dude... I'll check mine out but I ain't having none of that... Doesn't Horizens have a KB? Does he have the same problems? Have you tried a reset (back up first!!!)?

-Craig

Message 18/35             19-Jul-00  @  08:30 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

influx

NO. H's works fine. I think mines fucked up.

havent done a reset. Will do tonight.

theres no reason it should be doin this shit.

Thing is..Ive been away from my gear for long enough that it feels foreign again. tahts a SHITTY feeling

Message 19/35             24-Jul-00  @  12:06 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

99devils

Yeah, I know... I just boxed all my stuff up for my move. Sucks that it's a 2-parter... I have to spend next week with the folks...

Anyway, if you're still having problems with that kind of thing, do a reset and if that doesn't work re-load the OS.

Other than that...

-Craig

Message 20/35             06-Aug-00  @  12:26 PM   -   RE: usb midi interfaces?

rouge

In theory USB has a superior transfer rate. In reality, its still a young protocol. I've got a Midiman Sport USB 2x2 AND a Opcode Studio 64X (4x4 serial). The serial midi interface is MUCH better. If you're doing long fast drum rolls (triplets and stuff) on the Midiman (USB) then it collapses. however, the Opcode handles it no probs.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 35 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)