aaa Orion Vs. Reason - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Orion Vs. Reason

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  11:44 AM   -   Orion Vs. Reason

kaplan2

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hello All!
This time I wanna talk about the diffrences between Reason And Orion.
I bought Orion three months ago, when it was a baby, and now Orion grew to be a top-notch "all in one" virtual studio.
IMHO Orion is better than Reason.
The Synths are better, and you can produce more intersting themes\lines\basses with them.
After playing four days with Reason I can say that the Sub-Tractor synth is nice, but the wasp in orion is better.
I didn't like the sampler, because it doesn't support *.wav and Akai programs.
The oroin sampler at least supports wav's.
The new {orion 2.0 pro} has so many new features, which give Orion power that is equal to Hardware.
I will be gald if you will Write your Opinions, and talk about these wonderful new programs.
Happy Composing,
Fatal Virus
-----------------
Let's make some noise!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/53             18-Jan-01  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

hmm.... well integration into vst is a real kudos cos think what else you can mix it with - like ALL YOUR OUTBOARD with a asio2 low latency rack input module such as midiman delta's or IOIO or hoontech dsp with the dac rack etc...!!!!! - if you aint recording the outboard, set vst to 48k and get 3-5 ms latency... mix to dat via the audio rack stereo out, s/pdif etc... total !!!

Message 12/53             18-Jan-01  @  02:54 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

or minidisk for budget etc.. if you want to burn to cd then you gotta record all the outboard tho which is more time consuming - with the dosh you'll save on outboard fx using vst's fx etc you can get a good dat and do it all via digital transfer which all those multi-in devices also feature... i reckon thats preferable to filling up drives with tracks of outboard recordings... anyways.. lethal combination

Message 13/53             19-Jan-01  @  11:07 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mitub

(this turned into a bit of a missive...)

Spent the last few days playing around with Reason at a friends house - I have to say I was pretty impressed, and I was fairly skeptical before. Just in case any of you are thinking of buying it, heres my noise.

The 500Mb of samples are impressive, the drum machine's better than any VSTi drum machine I've ever seen and the samplers pretty solid as well. The effects are nothing special but quite usable but above all it is really good fun (which is what it should be about anyway...)

There are a couple of big cons: first you can't seperate the sequencer window from the rest, you only get 10cm of sequencing space which is pathetic (although the sequencer is very novel and usable, a cross between Cubase and Reason). Also, they include Trebble and Bass in the Mixer but surely an EQ would have made more sense. As soon as you get a decent amount of stuff going everything starts to get a bit muffled.

Worth £300, hmm - at first I'd have said no (did say no quite loudly a little while ago) but it completely blows Fruityloops away which ships at £100 odd so maybe.

If they released the machines as VSTi instruments I'd buy them like a shot, as it is if you want to use it for anything other than fun you definatly need something else to go with it. Personally I'll wait until the next Cubase upgrade is out and if ReWire works I'll buy it.

Gotta get on with some work! I'll be sorry to leave this job, not many pay you to post on forums all day!! any employers out there beware adsl...

Message 14/53             20-Jan-01  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

huh?... rewire works ok right now surely? - does for me

Message 15/53             22-Jan-01  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mitub

Everything works fine, get Reasons rewire channels showing in Cubase etc. but reason doesn't seem to be syncing to Cubase, can't play or move the marker... Think I've been fucking around with the system files too much.

I notice you've been quite quiet about the whole Reason thing - what do you reckon to it? or do we need to wait until the review to find out? Personally I like it, gonna buy my own copy next month.

Message 16/53             22-Jan-01  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

jbaardsen

Does Reason has much better soundquality than Orion ?
I really liked the way the Reason-modules are shown as instruments in a Rewire2 host (Nuendo), so u can edit everything from there.

This is what ex-Propellerhead webmaster 'Blank' had to say about Reason vs Orion:

"Orion is an entry-level toy. It's right down there with Fruity Loops, Hammerhead, Rubber Duck. Talk about "looking dated"..?? It looks like a Windows 3.1 relic. I've gotten pretty used to comparing apples and oranges around here, but you're comparing apples and breadcrumbs. If Reason was a girl, Orion would be an inflatable doll. And whatever "Pro" refers to, I doubt that it's more than the deluxe doll with extra lubricant."

Message 17/53             23-Jan-01  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

GT

If dance music was all that I did, I have a full on go with Reason, its just so well done !

Message 18/53             23-Jan-01  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mitub

"Orion is an entry-level toy. It's right down there with Fruity Loops, Hammerhead, Rubber Duck. Talk about "looking dated"..?? It looks like a Windows 3.1 relic..."

Ouch!

What a git. And Reasons not a toy? (more expensive and sophisticated I'll grant you). Oh right, BK's going to be producing his next chart topping anthem in Reason!!?

I doubt it somehow.

Message 19/53             24-Jan-01  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mol8292

oh i am sure professional tracks can be produced with Reason, also with Orion, and loads of other tools...it's just how good you are using them...

about "Also, they include Trebble and Bass in the Mixer but surely an EQ would have made more sense. As soon as you get a decent amount of stuff going everything starts to get a bit muffled. "

that's called a 2-band EQ, and things getting muffled has nothing to do with Reason, but with creating a bad mix...you have to give sounds their own frequency-space to keep the mix clear and punchy...use a parametric EQ and the filters to do this with more detail than the 2band EQ in the mixer....

anyway: Reason runs a lot smoother on my system than Orion, and i like Reason's rack-interface better because i am used to the hardware-metaphor. Other people might like Orion better.
I know i don't like a tool that re-packages a drum-module with a new skin and some new samples and calls it a new drum-module....i create my own samples so why do i need that?

For each his/hers own, but orion is definately cheaper than reason....

Olaf

Message 20/53             26-Jan-01  @  07:49 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

Dave

I have to say I love Orion. Yes Reason has some fancy features but it took me 2 of those annoying demo session to understand how to sequence. Orion is easy to use which to me means I can concentrate on making some music.
I used Cakewalk for 3 years and made about 10,00 loops and 4 songs. Sounds Familiar?
I made 8 songs in the last 4 months with Orion.
The sound quality of the Reason is better out of the box but you can’t change any of the modules!
Orion can sound much better than Reason with a few good VSTi plugins. Pro52, Electron, Ultrafunk reverb, a good compressor, a couple of quality sample CD’s and things are starting to do just nicely.
Ops and a bit of production knowledge would go a miss!!
Some may call it a toy but its great fun to use on a plane to Japan! Couldn’t do that with my outboard gear.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)