aaa NuBie On Reason - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: NuBie On Reason

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 07-Jul-01  @  08:29 PM   -   NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Yes, I am new to Reason. I have been making breakz for about 2 years, using Acid, SoundForge, and Vegas. I dabbled a bit in Cubase, but found it to be a bit hard to get over the initial learning curve, and with no midi controller found it to be a real pain. Well, I didn't really give it much practice to tell the truth. Then I got a copy of Reason. Damn, I had used Rebirth before, but never really got hooked on it. Now however, I can't stop using Reason.
I have a million questions, and instead of asking them all, I've narrowed it down to one. Is there any books out there for reason. I would just love to read about all the options available, etc.... Also, for the loop player. Could someone sorta explain to me how to set the different play points on it. Thanks. I'll be looking forward to more discussions in this forum.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/23             16-Jul-01  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

Link?: Link

you know you can export a midifile from rexplayer direct to the rexplayer midi track in Reason?.. check it out -there is a button on the rexplayer to do this.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/23             23-Jul-01  @  08:03 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

and then you can arrange the "loops" differently and stuff? well, the start points at least.

Message 13/23             23-Jul-01  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

yup thats the way to re-arrange the order.. in effect it's like having a drumgrid midi map with 'bits-of-loop' instead of drums to sequence.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 14/23             24-Jul-01  @  08:03 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

what a sweet app this Reason is! Right now I'm working on this 2-step techno breakz tribal piece, it's comming along awsome, I just have to sit down and figure out the song structure area at the bottom of the screen where you do all the channeling and stuff. Hope it doesn't take too long to learn, so far it's been quite simple, especially for me, someone who has never had the chance to own such equipment. What has anyone else been making with it so far?

Message 15/23             24-Jul-01  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

very good value, and very light on the pc cpu... an excellent alternative to buying multiple softsynths for use in VST. thats my immeadiate impressions after getting it...

Message 16/23             26-Jul-01  @  07:22 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

Alright, I'm fed up now.
I started learning how to record in the sequencer with a practice file. Then when I decided to go try it on my good one, I couldn't do any recording! I must be overlooking something obvious........? I don't know, it's a pain though.
Any suggestions,...is anyone else having troubles?

Message 17/23             26-Jul-01  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

............or I was thinking, maybee I should learn how to rout it into Cubase. Maybee that's an easier platform to do the recording process?

Message 18/23             26-Jul-01  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

k

when you say 'do recording' do you mean play thge instruments in realtime from a controller keyboard & record the midi at the same time ??

out of interest, whats the soundcard device?... is it fast enuff to play the gear in realtime?.... have you set the midi ports up etc?

Message 19/23             26-Jul-01  @  12:22 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

dave_outland

oh no......now your in for a good laugh. My current soundcard is the built in on the motherboard type! I know, but I'm poor right now.
Anyways, it works fine for now, and I seriously haven't had any major latency problems at all. Maybee because all I have running is the drums, synth, sampler, rexplayer and a few effect drives. What I meant about having problems was hitting record on the bottom, and then tweaking out parts on whatever instrument I have selected. I think you can only do one at a time anyways.

Message 20/23             26-Jul-01  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: NuBie On Reason

Moujik

Link?:  Link

I think if you have a multi-port midi interface you could tweak more than one thing at a time - if you look in the options, it allows you to set up several midi busses, which I guess you could route to separate devices.

I dont think a shite s/card is really much of a hinderance, since other than monitoring you dont really have to worry about the quality of your i/o - having said that, I've been totally blown away by the quality of my Audiophile + 1ghz athlon + reason combo...

I am beginning to see some limitations though - the "eq" on the mixer, the fx quality.... I guess these are things that would be resolved my rewiring with cubase, but I'm really getting into Sonar - probably switch to win2k, wdm drivers, reaktor, and just keep Reason running on a laptop for starting off ideas & remixes...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)