aaa Please Help! VIA chipset crackle - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             04-Jan-02  @  03:20 PM   -   Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

Stasis

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I need some advice. I am using an MAudio Audiophile 2496 with an Athlon XP 1600+ and Asus A7V266-E with VIA chipset. I am getting the now infamous VIA crackle problem, and have tried EVERYTHING ranging from updating my 4in1 drivers, disabling ACPI,updating Audiophile drivers, assigning it its own IRQ, the list goes on and on. I am finally deciding to give up on the Delta line of cards, and get a totally different type of card. Can anyone recommend a good 24bit 96khz sound card for use with an Athlon/VIA rig that will not give me any trouble? Please give me some advice, I am going insane and just want to make music. Thanks, Dan

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             04-Jan-02  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

did you thouroughly remove the drivers FIRST before re-installing them? - there is a special de-installer on the m-audio site.

Message 3/21             05-Jan-02  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

I did that too. I used that unistaller and installed the supposed FINAL release of the driver that fixes this very problem. After putting the card on its own IRQ and doing the above, it has seemed to greatly reduce the crackle, although the latency in Orion PRo must be set abnormally high, as well as the Audiophile latency. So after sacrificing my latency, I seem to have greatly reduced the crackle to only happening occasionally, so that I wonder if it is in my head, and I am just being paranoid about it. I know however that I should not have to have my latency set to this extreme with my system specs, and the occasional crackle that is there should not be. So thats where I am with it, and I would greatly appreciate more suggestions. Thanks, Dan

Message 4/21             05-Jan-02  @  03:15 AM     Edit: 05-Jan-02  |  03:31 AM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

Link?:  Link

what os is this? - when it boots what does it say the processor is? - video card? - & what driver U using in orion?.. asio?

The PCI Latency Timer can be adjusted in the BIOS to either increase system performance or else to solve problems with PCI cards... that might effect things?, it seems to be a problem across many cards it can fix... another user set his to 255 and fixed playback problems apparently so mebbe try messing with that first?

also there is a pci latency patch at: http://www.viahardware.com/

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/21             07-Jan-02  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Hmm.. have you installed the latest VIA 4in1 Drivers (V4.36 I think..) - as this is also a recommended course of action with Via based boards...

Also, you mention having to set the latency high in Orion but if you're using the ASIO drivers you shouldn't have access to latency settings in Orion, rather you'd have to change those settings in the ASIO control panel under windows (so what I'm asking is, are you sure you're running Orion with the ASIO drivers and not the crappy Multimedia drivers?)

Other things to consider.. even with the ASIO drivers running (correctly), there still is a limit to how low you can set the latency before even the best systems crap out and you get crackles...

And lastly... I've had NO problems with the STAUDIO DSP2000 Cport set-up and my VIA 266A based system at all - your Audiophile should also be fine on such a setup..

Marc_D

Message 6/21             08-Jan-02  @  03:49 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

Thanks for all the replies. The PCI latency timer idea is a new one, I'm going to try that next. In answer to Darkstate, yes I have installed the latest 4in1 driver, and since I can't get ASIO to work correctly in Orion Pro (I get an error and I am trying to get an answer on that directly from Sonic Syndicate) I am using the Directsound drivers. I have always gotten unbelievable latency with Directsound, up until I started using the Audiophile.
I know what I should be getting in terms of performance and latency out of this setup, and trust me, its no where near where it should be. I have my Audiophile latency in the MAudio panel set to 1024 or above, and my Orion latency up to 150. I can't get the Asio drivers to work, but regardless of that, I should be getting lower latency in both cases without recieving the stuttering,crackling,and popping that I get. Guess I'm going to stick with this setup for now, since it broke my wallet already. Hopefully this PCI latency timer thing works out. Thanks for all your help, let me know if you have any more ideas. Thanks, Dan

Message 7/21             09-Jan-02  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

Pure Phase

I am having exactly the same problem.
Intermitent hiss/noise/crackle/pops...

But I have an Creative Labs Audigy eX.
On a AMD Athlon 1400, KG-7 RAID, Win2k, GeForce2Pro, 120Gb RAID HD, Adaptec SCSI card, etc...

I have tried updating all my drivers, tweaking my BIOS, and everything. Looks like the common problem is the VIA chipset. I am starting to wish i bought a Intel P4!

I will try tweaking my PCI Latency again...but if anyone has any ideas please, please tell me!!!

Cheers

Message 8/21             09-Jan-02  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

i'm sure i've seen stuff about using a certain bios only with the raid drivers... could be wrong tho. Do any of U use the via forum?

Message 9/21             09-Jan-02  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

I will now. I haven't been on there for some odd reason because I thought this pertained mainly to poor Midiman drivers. I tried that patch for the PCI latency timer from the VIA site, and it did nothing. I feel I have tried everything now, but I can't get new hardware, too late for returns. I have to figure this out. Please keep posting ideas if you have them, there are alot of people searching for the solution to this problem. Thanks-

Message 10/21             10-Jan-02  @  09:17 AM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

dARKSTATe

Hmmm.. you're using the ASUS 266"A" based board from what you posted.. btw what O/S are you using? You never mentioned...

I've got an EPoX board based on the same chipset and no problems at all... okay, I'm using an STAudio DSP2000 but I know ppl that have the Audiophile with similar setups and they don't have the problems you're experiencing...

Pure Phase, you say you're getting a similar manifestation of problems but your rig config is somewhat different from Stasis (The SCSI, Soundcard O/S?) Is your motherboard a 266"A" based VIA board??

There's gotta be a solution.. :|

M_D

Message 11/21             10-Jan-02  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

Pure Phase

I seem to of greatly reduced the noise, or frequency of the noise (though i havent been able to fully test it), by running that PCI latency patch and disabling all the Shadowing features in my BIOS.

Have you tried this Stasis?

Message 12/21             10-Jan-02  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

I haven't tried setting the PCI latency timer up as far as 255, I'll try that now...I am running Win 2K, seems to be working fine in all other aspects. I have tried running the patch, and I don't have the option to disable shadowing.  

Message 13/21             10-Jan-02  @  04:18 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

Nope didn't change a thing. I am running out of ideas. I wonder if a different Os would make any diiference. Thinking of going back to 98...

Message 14/21             10-Jan-02  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

you have disabled the onboard audio yes?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/21             10-Jan-02  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

one user on the via forum had lots of 'E' problems:

"The thing that seemed to do the trick was leaving out one stick of ram and just using a stick in Slot 1 and one in Slot 3. Now stable as a rock."

can you beleive that?

Message 16/21             11-Jan-02  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

dARKSTATe

Really... those DDR VIA mobos don't usually like that, as in they can't access them as "banks" of ram if they're not connected continuously...

i.e. 0&1 2&3 4&5 etc...

Weird... ;)

Message 17/21             11-Jan-02  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

Yeah, I disabled onboard audio from the beginning. I have now reformatted and am trying 98SE. For now if I can't get this problem resolved, I am going to minimalize the crackle on the AP, and use a sblive for midi and some playback. Better latency. The problem I'm having now is that I can't get ANY playback from the AP in 98SE, I get this error: DirectXInit error.
I run dxdiag, look at the config, and the problem is that Direct X 8.0a that I installed is saying that the MAAP.vxd is untested, something along those lines. This means that my Audiophile driver is not being recognized correctly in Direct X, and the same thing is happening with my nVidia TNT2 card. I need to resolve these problems before I can test my hardware with 98SE. Any suggestions? I have installed several versions of the drivers for bothe devices, and reinstalled Direct X. No progress.

Message 18/21             14-Jan-02  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

Pure Phase

Just when i thought i had sorted the problem. It rears its ugly head again. And its bad!

I really dont have any idea of what to try next...?

If anyone can help?

I am tempted to try installing XP...anyone know if this would help?

Message 19/21             14-Jan-02  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

stASis

I did it!!!! In perfect timing to your question too Pure Phase. I was mucking around with 98, having all sorts of new problems concerning Direct X, and decided to give XP a try. I have installed XP,the latest VIA 4in1's,and the latest Audiophile driver, and I am crackle free with low latency. Installing XP has solved all my problems, can't say it will on every individual system, but its worth a try for sure. I love this OS, it seems to make use of RAM so much more for multimedia. Pure Phase- install XP. Let me know how it goes, I am going to spread this information to all the people I have encountered recently with the same problems. Good Luck- Dan

Message 20/21             14-Jan-02  @  05:22 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

dARKSTATe

Cool.. its good when this kinda problem gets solved!

Fair play mate.. here's hoping XP doesn't screw you over in other ways!!  

Marc_D

Message 21/21             14-Jan-02  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Please Help! VIA chipset crackle

k

i wonder if it'd have gone ok with dx7?

Viewing all 21 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)