aaa laws of usb - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: laws of usb

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             03-Jan-02  @  07:47 AM   -   laws of usb

e.t.

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

ok lame title.
I am just at the starting point of this--searching for the next big/faster protocol. usb is it.

wel its already here, I am using it as such. Midi/audio/sampler(akai.sys)yes..

Everthing is working ok, Let me tell you it has taken loads of time to conquer it. I am finally relieved fuck!

The point of this is...I dont notice a bif differnece from my older set-up.

boo- technology is mysterious, and it is unforgiving.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             03-Jan-02  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

is there a new usb protocol? meant to be faster than firewire and compatible with the old usb too. no idea when though.

e.t., what usb interface are you using for midi? i have no end of trouble with my midiman 2x2.

Message 3/23             03-Jan-02  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

Bedwry, are you talking the USB at the PC end you're having trouble with or the fact your Midiman is USB and giving you shite in general??

Just bought a usb 4x4 and it works like a dream...

Marc_D

Message 4/23             03-Jan-02  @  01:27 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

milan

Link?:  Link

new USB faster than firewire??? do tell us more, please.

Message 5/23             03-Jan-02  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

mark, it's just the pc end i think, it works fine on it's own but not with anything else on usb. and on it's own. tho it doesn't like having mtc or anything like that going through it, all the lights flash and logic generally does a go-slow.

usb 2.0 is meant to be 40 times faster than the current one. 480 Mbps etc. just done a quick search and it looks like it's available already, though won't work with windows xp.

i can't be bothered to look any further until someone comes up with some audio gear.

Message 6/23             03-Jan-02  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

Tried any other USB devices on those USB ports Bedwyr? Do they act strangely also??

Take it you've tried all the latest midiman drivers/"USB launchers" etc that come off the website etc? If so.. and it still doesn't work, then that really sux...

Marc_D

Message 7/23             03-Jan-02  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

e.t.

it's midiman 2x2 midisport also.

The problem I had was trying load everything on XP os, but solved it all by returning to windows 2000..this all through the orange micro x4 usb 2.0 port

Message 8/23             03-Jan-02  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

thanks marc, i just updated my drivers and logic can't work the usb now. grrr. i'll never listen to a word you say again.

;) or maybe i'll just install the previous ones.

e.t. i couldn't run jack shit on xp either - back to 98se now.

Message 9/23             04-Jan-02  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

influx

I still never understand why everyone has to jump on the newest OS setups as soon as they come out?!?!?

I run 98SE, midiman 4x4 and its NOT ONCE fucked up on me. NEVER. in fact..the computer only crashes when I use the zip for the sampler and then for the PC. Guess it gets confused or something 

Message 10/23             04-Jan-02  @  09:01 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

bster

Link?:  No link

I've read in SoS that the serial port connection works better at the moment (august 2001) for the midisport's (if you've got one on the 2x2, 4x4's, the 8x8 has it)

Message 11/23             04-Jan-02  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

2x2 is usb only

Message 12/23             04-Jan-02  @  10:01 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

At the mo' I'd pick 98Se every time... still creaks a bit but everything works and the USB Midisport 4x4 is solid as fuck! Nice price for that and my luvly new Control Freak blagged outta Turdkey too..

;)

Message 13/23             04-Jan-02  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Windows 200 and XP are rocks if your drivers are sorted. Plus if you're running Sonar you only get the advantages of kernel streaming with 2k or XP. There are plenty of good reasons to go with the newer OSes, but everything is an experiment, no?  

-Craig

Message 14/23             07-Jan-02  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

dARKSTATe

"..if your drivers are sorted.."

And there lies the rub... there's just not enough confidence methinks in drivers and compatibility for these new O/Ses when talking about the vast range of products out there...

Driver development takes $$$ I guess and at this stage for music products its still early days - perhaps this is why people are still a little skeptical about upgrading...

:|

Message 15/23             07-Jan-02  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

We're arguing the same thing.. It's a wide internet   Chances are you can find someone who's tried that OS with your soundcard. Find out their experiences.. But if you're just blindly experimenting by putting on the new OS, then be prepared to have to backpeddle.

-Craig

Message 16/23             08-Jan-02  @  12:43 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

sox

What about us geezers who buy laptops and they don't do Win98SE. I got the Dell 8100, it came with WinME. I put SE on it and then went to the Dell site to get 98 drivers and guess what....
Win98 not supported.
Another case of the enduser being shafted by Microsoft. They release a new OS and then tell all their suppliers to use it or they'll stop supplying them with an OS probably. Really f**ks me off.

sox

Message 17/23             08-Jan-02  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

There should be no reason why a machine is compatible with ME and not 98. You've probably done something wrong there.

-Craig

Message 18/23             09-Jan-02  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: laws of usb

sox

Yeah, I didn't spend 4 hours + on searching for Win98 drivers for the laptop and another 2-3 days (possibly more) installing and uninstalling to get them to work. (Never mind finding drivers to work the newer soundcard functions with VST)
I know this because I did just a Sony Vaio laptop for someone. Removing Win2000 and replacing with Win98SE. Another one with Win98 not supported by the manufacturer. I've been able to get everything to work so far 'cept the modem. They're using it for video and the programs he uses aren't Win2000 compatible.
Maybe someone could tell me why they don't write the drivers for Win98 and newer machines. Are everyones financial resources being used to write XP drivers only?

sox

Message 19/23             09-Jan-02  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Win ME and Win2000 aren't the same thing, but I assume you knew that.. ME and 98 have basically the same kernel, and you could use a 95 driver under 98SE as well.

-Craig

Message 20/23             09-Jan-02  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

Inspiron 8100?

-Craig

Message 21/23             09-Jan-02  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

sox

Yeah I did know that (thanks anyway). I wasn't trying to install Win2000 drivers on Win98 (I think that's what you were hinting at  . And Win95 drivers still doesn't solve the problem. Not supported or supplied by the laptop manufacturers, hours and hours of searching for individual component drivers and then days and days trying to get them to work.

Inspiron 8100...That's the beast. I've been taming it since I got it....Had it potty trained but a Bios upgrade put me back to square one with VST on it.

I got my WinXP in the post today. After a 14-21 day delivery turned into 2 months. I opened the package and then checked the ol' Hotmail account. Got an email from the people that sent it to me only to find out....Wait for it.......They've sent the wrong authorisation number with it and I have to send it back! In their words:
"Due to Microsoft's strict security regulations we will be unable to send you the
correct COA until we have received the incorrect version by return. Please
attach the COA to the copy of this e-mail enclosed in the prepaid return
envelope which will enable us to process the new order." So now I have to wait for the prepaid return envelope to arrive to send it back. I'm sure Microsoft will get their act together one day (NOT!)

sox

Message 22/23             09-Jan-02  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

bedwyr

what!!??? that's the fkn craziest thing i ever larry heard.

due to microsoft's strict bullshit policy why don't you just download xp off morpheus and use the crack? fuck bill.

only jokin'! ;)

Message 23/23             10-Jan-02  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: laws of usb

99devils

I ran 98SE on an Inspiron 7000 with no problems, but oh well. What I was hinting at was not that you'd use 2000 drivers on 98, but since you didn't find any 98-specific drivers you might've given up..

-Craig

Viewing all 23 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)