aaa Woe is me - building my own PC - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Woe is me - building my own PC

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message                 Date: 26-Apr-01  @  10:49 AM   -   Woe is me - building my own PC

suprsi

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Yesterday I took delivery of two IBM hard disks, an Abit KT7A system board, 256Mb Ram, and and Athlon processor. Having already bought a Sunteck case, and using parts from my older computer (video, modem, sound, etc) I was going to build a complete system.

So last night I tried to assemble the whole thing. I've been working with computers for yonks, but can't sort this out. Firstly, there were no instructions with the case, so all assembly had to be done by trial and error. Anyway, I connected everything - ATI Video and Voodoo 2 (will be replaced soon with GeForce), DVD, Cd-Writer, disks, memory processor - and nothing happens. When I connect the monitor it seems to power on for a second, then goes back into power-save mode.

I tried removing everything except the processor, memory and video, but still get no beeps, video, or any noticeable activity. The hard disks work as I've re-connected my old computer, as do the video boards, so it's gotta be either the system board/memory/processor or it's something I'm doing wrong. The system board is getting power as the chipset fan turns, and the LED's on the case come on, but that's all I get. The poxy fucking thing just doesn't want to boot or post or anything!

Anyone experience anything similar? I've been told to check that the system board is not touching the case, so will give that a go tonight but I don't think it's that.

Cheers,

Si.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/24             29-Apr-01  @  01:59 AM   -   RE: Woe is me - building my own PC

PointBeing

Link?: Link

LOL.. rofl

Message 22/24             29-Apr-01  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Woe is me - building my own PC

Brett B

Link?:  Link

damn, i was crying when i read that..........

Message 23/24             17-May-01  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Woe is me - building my own PC

loFreq

Link?:  No link

I only have one thing to say. If you've never built a PC before, dont try it blind, find someone who knows how first. There are always little tricks and pitfalls that may not be apparent the first couple times around. Ruining compnents is not a cool way to learn. (did you know that putting the floppy-drive power connector on wrong on an ATX case can destroy every other component in the box?)

Message 24/24             08-Jun-01  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: Woe is me - building my own PC

siva (justinlofling

Link?: Link

How did you incorrectly install it?

justin

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)