aaa help! how do I...? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: help! how do I...?

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             18-Dec-01  @  11:41 AM   -   help! how do I...?

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

i've accidently deleted a file (vmm32.vxd)from the windows\system32\drivers location when trying to delete vmm.vxd as told todo so when updating midisport8X8 drivers, i've copied the files on to a floppy from another pc but cannott copy them back into my pc as ms-dos is coming back saying bad command or file name, here is what i am typing as told by a mate.
a:\vmm32.vxd c:\windows\system32\drivers
is this correct? i'm using windows 98 by the way.

help help help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             18-Dec-01  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

Link?:  Link

oh dear..... you cant copy the file over cos it is created at setup... the vmm32.dll is like a shell that carries the other .dll's inside it so to speak

you can go to your regedit (start/run/regedit) open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, system, current control set, vmm32 files.

You'll see on the right screen all the files being loaded thru the vmm32.dll

you have a line probably in your system.ini referring to the driver but it's gone because the vmm32.dll is gone.. You cant copy one over cos each is unique to the machine it was created on....

re-install windows to resurrect the vmm32 i'd say.. re-installing windblows will not remove your shortcuts, dialup or boomarks or email addresses etc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

see, this is what scares me about going PC. how often does this stuff happen?

Message 4/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

never if you DONT delete critical system files  

never mind it's only 30 minutes to re-install OS and that only requires you watch TV and press a key when you hear a bleep.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/27             18-Dec-01  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

yeah. shouldnt be in windows deleting shit anyway!!!

just reinstall can ya bster?

Message 6/27             19-Dec-01  @  09:24 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bster

ok i'll have a go when i find someone to do it.

Influx- i deleted it because Midiman's website instructions told me to delete vmm.vxd from the windows\system\drivers pathway, i couldnt find it so took a stupid chance that it was vmm32.vxd,close enough!.

cheers k

Message 7/27             19-Dec-01  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

ok. guess I'm biased because the only time I tried to re-install a PC OS (Win 98) with another fairly experienced person, it just completely failed and now the machine won't even boot up. My STRONGLY pro-PC friend said it's easier to screw things up on a PC than on a mac, but even managed to twist that observation into an anti-mac argument. until I actually have the cash and take the plunge, I'm gonna be siffing around here for reasons not to buy a PC.

Message 8/27             19-Dec-01  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

well your freind obviously didnt know what he was doing - re-installing 98 is a total doddle.

Message 9/27             19-Dec-01  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

damballah

Link?: Link

nah, I had a situation like that with a fuckin' PC bluescreening during win98se's setup.exe. if you got the extra $1000, get the mac. I used to administer a whole mac-based publishing production department (servers, workstations, imagesetter and proofer RIPs, drum-scanning and color correcting, automated backup, etc) with nothing more than system and norton discs. and even then it wasn't much work. the other departments need a 50+k-a-year MIS just so they could use their "superior" PCs as glorified typewriters and adding machines with email. and he was always busy fixin shit.

anway, I've got a PC in my studio. what a dope.

Message 10/27             19-Dec-01  @  08:02 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

actually it was NT, and the friend was a she co-worker who agreed that it shouldn't cause a problem, but it did. not saying this is normal, though, and I'm on an NT machine now with never a problem.

damballah, let's agree to a truce and tell me more about about your Mac/PC experience, perhaps in my "recovering mac user" thread. there are numerous silly debates about which platform is superior, and I'm not trying to start all of that. I've read a number of posts in favor of making the switch, and would like to read some opposing views. I rally don't know much about computers. I'm just trying to get a realistic picture of what switching to a PC might mean.

Message 11/27             19-Dec-01  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

damballah

truce? I didn't think we were really at war.

Message 12/27             20-Dec-01  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

it might mean youll save a fucking thousand dollars thats what it might mean 

I still say if you build a PC with quality components, and keep it oiled, youll have a quality machine

damballah can fuck off with his mac propaganda. just wait til horizens gets here then itll REALLY start!

Message 13/27             20-Dec-01  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

cool I look forward to horizens appearance.

influx-- I'm just trying to clarify what "keeping it oiled" means in the context of my lifestyle. I'm only trying to figure out if getting a PC is the right move FOR ME, not if PC's are viable music machines.

I wouldn't need a faster machine if I just recorded my hardware synths and sampler, but working with (almost) all software is what I'm looking to do, not because it's BETTER, but because it's easier for ME to get things done that way. I have a whole other career that I like in general, so I have limited time to make music. so increasing my composing and limiting (eliminating?) my recording time is my primary concern. So it might be worth it FOR ME to pay a lot more for a mac IF IF IF it means significantly reducing my "keeping it oiled" time.

similarly, I think analog synths sound WAY better than most digital for synthy sounds, but it's simply not worth it FOR ME to mess around with some old pro-one's because even if they sounded better than e.g. absynth, it would be hard for me to get much out of them e.g. in my hour before work while my girfriend sleeps three feet away, etc.

If some high school student with plenty of time to play asked me what to get for making jungle, I might tell him to look for a used pulse or something older and stuff with knobs and hardware stuff so he can rock his friends parties etc. and I sure would tell him to learn about building an athalon machine. but this might not be the right advice for me to follow.

in the other thread, when I asked why the majority of pros/studios used macs and switch from PCs you said soething like "probably for the same reason you [i.e. me] do...because they've heard so much about macs being better." but that just can't be the complete answer. if there were not significant differences in performance/maintenance/something, why would people want to switch? why would they be swayed by the rumors about Macs being better if they were totally satisfied with their machines? and wahy would there be so many "wow I just switched to a mac and installing a ___ was so easy I'll never go back" etc. posts in the web?

It might be the case that macs are just a little more luxurious, and those who can afford them get them. If that's the case, I'm ready to make the switch. but if it's the case that PC's demand far more technical attention, I'm not.

That bit more of tech attnetion might seem like NOTHING to someone like you or Kilo who know more/do more with computers, but it might be a BIG deal for me, who wants a computer that works as much like a guitar as possible.

SO I'm especially interested in info from people who have used BOTH platforms for music.

PS. I really appreciate all the info and opinions though, influx. and i definitely like the idea of a cheap, burning DIY machine.

Message 14/27             20-Dec-01  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

damballah

and how shall I fuck off, sir?

well, that's about it, y'know. I've spent a lot more time keeping my studio windoze pc "oiled" than I ever thought I would. a lot more time than I spend "oiling" the G4 I use at work. which is close to none. so what's your time worth to you? is it $1000? or is it less?

Message 15/27             20-Dec-01  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

99devils

Good God damballah, and if that Mac goes down how long's it going to take you to get it set up?!? I can show you Macs, PCs, Suns, Silicon Graphics, and old fucking Atari STs all running perfectly, and I can show you all the same machines crashing every 15 minutes.

I've been working on a Windows-2000 based laptop for over a year with not one single minute of "administration time". And I use this laptop to build software.

All machines have about equal potential to be buggy, in my experience.

Message 16/27             20-Dec-01  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

cool thanks for these replies. there's no doubt that all machines have the POTENTIAL to be 'buggy'. I'm curious in the PROBABILITY of 'bugginess' and in defining it a little more.

you guys are gonna get sick of me pretty soon, if you haven't already. But my friends who have PC's all have warez, games, smoke and beer cans all over the place etc., and their machines do crash pretty often, but I know better than to take their machines as representative of what PC's could be like.

ok damballah, when you get a minute, I would really appreciate what sorts of "oilings" you do.
questions:

do you have your studio PC online?

do you have games, a printer, and run other non-music s/w?

is "oiling" doing some regular maintenance procedures such as rebuilding your desktop on a mac, or is "oiling" more like troubleshooting in response to freezes?

do you have to "oil" when you've installed new software?

do you have to "oil" when changing settings e.g. samples per buffer settings in a soundcard e.g. the motu pci 324 consloe?

do you have to "oil" for no apparent reason?

thanks again.

Message 17/27             21-Dec-01  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bobdobba

my feeling is that macs do require a bit less savvy of their users. in return of course they demand a whole whack more money, not just for setup but also the inevitable upgrades.

i have never seen a serious pc software user who also didn't know a bit about hardware and os things as well. whereas even advanced mac software users are often quite ignorant about mac systtems and hardware. all in all it seems obvious that in pc land you really need to have a bit better understanding of how things work to get things moving whereas mac users are freer to just concentrate on working the software (and work long hours to pay for the hardware).

mind you i'm sure that deleting important system files will screw you up on a mac too!

p.s. just so you don't feel so lonely and foolish bster, let me tell you a little story of my stupid pc tricks. once upon a time when i was just starting on dos pcs i decided that the .. file that kept showing up in all my directories must be a virus! so i deleted it - and my entire system.

just think of it as an initiation of sorts....

Message 18/27             21-Dec-01  @  05:12 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

knowa

I think one of the problems with PCs is the HUGE amount of hardware and software available. With that wide horizon comes compatibility issues. AND there are a lot of very CHEAP parts available as well. I dont quite understand Macs that much but it doesnt seem like mac owners tinker with them as much either

the "oiling" I talked about (jesus you managed to make that looke hella ridiculous ) was like this:

Defrag regularly (same with mac)

STAY THE FUCK OFF THE INTERNET if its a music machine. Internet connections throw cookies and all kinds of shit on your drive

Dont install/uninstall like a madman. If you do, learn how to clean out the registry (norton seems to work pretty damn well for this, just dont install it but instead run it from CD)

DO research about compatibility (will this soundcard work with this MoBo, etc) (same for mac sometimes, innit?)

use quality components.

thats the cool thing about that roll your own article is that this guy has already BUILT that machine, and used it, and its working well for him. So someone guinea'd themselves for all of us and we can follow

OH..also...personally I would recommend staying the fuck away from NEW SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE ie the stuff that JUST came out. Let others work out the bugs for you, and let THEM be the ones to find out that that new thingamabob9000 jacks up win98 for some inexplicable reason

so..the oiling..its not like an AMF period harley davidson..more like a 1950s chevy that if treated properly will work fine.

and damballah I was seriously just messin around. no what bich?!?!?!

Message 19/27             21-Dec-01  @  05:00 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

knowa

right, influx, I can see how the fact that there are so many different products for the PC would lead to compatibility issues. since there are less choices for the mac, there are less possibilities for going wrong, and that may account for their 'reliable' reputation.

it's definitley true that 'Mac-daddies' (and mommies) often have no idea about how their machine works on a physical level. I feel very confident on my mac now but I admit that I'm sort of scared every time I open the case. you should have seen my anti-static electricity ritual before adding RAM  

right on about staying away from new s/w. I've been DYING for Halion, but watching the drama at(the devishly moderated) cubase.net and am gonna wit until I'm sure that every 1.1 is shipping with the 1.1 soundbank.

ok--I hope damballah and horizen come around with some more detailed stuff, but I'm gonna stop asking these questions for. thanks esp. influx and craig, you've planted the seeds of curiosity about The Beige Side.

Message 20/27             21-Dec-01  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

Knowa...Q just got a soft sampler that he says works flawlessly and cost him only about $60. no need to go halion I dont think

lemme check on that one

Message 21/27             01-Jan-02  @  08:42 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

e.t.

Yeah, I think the whole mac/pc argument is done to death. geez.

I have used both..everyones comment here has been on point.

Macs are good..very solid for music making without as much tinkering as a rubbish pc.

Pcs are even more solid than a mac with loads of apps running if you can be a very good pc engineer. : )

agree- well oiled and fun too.,

I prefer the fun of engineering my system.

Message 22/27             01-Jan-02  @  08:46 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

e.t.

but back to the orig.

deleted. always write what you delete/or think you lost, so you can restore for future fixes...peace

Message 23/27             01-Jan-02  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

influx

good point on both ends et..

it can be pretty cool to get down inside your machine and KNOW how it works...like bein able to fix your own car!

and the writing shit down part is a really fuckin good idea..then you can just copy that file direct from your windows CD into wherever it belongs no prob

Message 24/27             02-Jan-02  @  09:44 AM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bster

Back again, tried to reinstall win98 but in ms-dos mode it doesnt recognize my cd-rom drive (i've tried a:\ - z:\) someone told me what to do new years eve, as if i can remember.
any ideas tech heads?

Bster

Message 25/27             02-Jan-02  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

k

yep... you need a start disk which loads the Oak Technology cdrom virtual drivers - failing that, try & d/load a copy of CD-GOD. or, do you have two drives installed or a partitioned drive?.. the cd needs to be drive D:

Message 26/27             02-Jan-02  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bedwyr

can you still do a boot disk from within windows? do one and then you should be able to boot into dos with 'cd-rom support'. i do remember haveing trouble getting dos to recognize my cdrom though. hmm. i'll have a think. there is a way round it.

Message 27/27             03-Jan-02  @  05:30 PM   -   RE: help! how do I...?

bster

yeah, my mate said he'll create a start up disk on floppy and i'll leave him to sort it out so i can stop wasting my time (... everyones!). yep.

Viewing all 27 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)