aaa want to try a whole new way to work - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: want to try a whole new way to work

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             30-Mar-01  @  09:06 PM   -   want to try a whole new way to work

styas

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I would like to use logic 100% and stop using the king of instability, you know who.

So, Up til now I have been doin midi tracks in VST,and an audio track here and there for vocals or what not.

I wanna know, that when i switch to logic, whats the best way for me to start being able to work with much more audio and only use midi for single take recording to capture the audio.

1) It looks like (judging fromn the fact that protools is so successful) this is the way to go... I would like to make a loop, record it (say, 4 kicks), and loop loop loop. But what happens when i want the kicks to go boom ba da ba boom boom instead of boom boom boom boom... Should I record ANOTHER loop in that fashion? And just keep switching it up?

2) Also, on long sustained filter sweeps over say 4 or eight loops of a synth pattern (arp). should I record the entire sweep, OR should I record the one loop, and use automation to do the sweep. ANd if that's the route to take, how would I DRAW in that automation.

I think as soon as i figure out logical ways of doing these simingly simple jobs I can be sorted.

Thanks in advance
peace
sean

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             31-Mar-01  @  07:25 AM   -   RE: want to try a whole new way to work

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

blimey - it's like going back to 1995 and working with sawplus & loops eh! - yes probably youd be better off to create lots of variation loops , but it is possible in both VST & Logic's or Cakewalks audio tracks to take a single-shot kik drum or other sample and create patterns by dragging/copying the kiks around within a bar or whatever length part.. then when it sounds right, just use the GLUE tool to merge it all down to a new fixed pattern file, save those files and construct your song using the loops - you can use the HYPEREDIT Volume to adjust kik volumes within a pattern/loop. - I added an ARTICLE about how to do it in CAKEWALK, which is in the aRTICLES section - (seach for cakewalk) - from that you can easily get the gist of it and just apply Logic's functions to do the same.

in the image above for example, if you overlaid that hyperedit volume onto a 4 on the floor kik beat loop, you'd get a 'soft-loud-soft-loud' KIK pattern with a fast-ish fade out on each kik in the beat... so it's easy to adjust velocities even if the loop is merged and fixed as a single bar loop. thats how we used to do it before s/w samplers and drumboxes -

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             05-Apr-01  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: want to try a whole new way to work

Jemma

File?:  No file

Another way to work is to record your kik, hihat, and snare as singleshots. Space them on three different audio tracks as you like them, then collapse the measure(s) into a folder. You can loop the folder as you like. To create a variation, you can copy the folder, open it up, move things around, and then collapse it again. It's like working with MIDI data, but of course you can compress/distort/whatever each audio track as you see fit.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)