aaa Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 29-Jan-02  @  01:33 PM   -   Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

sitar

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

Was looking at NI PRO-52. It's a Prophet-5 emulator. I do have a Prophet Synth preset with Tassman already. I took a look at Reaktor while at the NI site and it sounds impressive, but is also quite a bit more expensive. Any experienced with either or both of these softsynths? How are they? How much processing power do they eat as you add polyphony or in Reaktor's case, modules?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/34             03-Mar-02  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

k

Link?:  No link

well Absynth was bought-in by NI, it's a synth with amazing features & a unique sound... but Reaktor i think does 'more' with it's sample playing/loading & wave sequencing & manipulation etc... they are different. Reaktor is the one for your classic synth sounds... it's an analog-fest basicaly... think old classic analog synths & modular panels etc... I'd say Reaktor if you dont have a workhorse VA... Absynth i'd get second unless you had those sounds covered... Sitar might find Absynth more interesting or rather 'complimentary' as he already has the SNII for example... mind you, Reaktor would compiment a SNII as well, but you get my drift.

Message 22/34             04-Mar-02  @  03:22 AM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

sitarsong

Link?: Link

My thinking is that Reaktor is a package of tons of classic analog synths, fm and and wavetable stuff. It's looks to have virtually endless possibilities for building one's own synths too. I probably will never get to uncover a quarter of it. The other good thing is that they're up to v3.0 which is much improved in terms of cpu usage and a load of other features. Absynth is about to be introduced for pc and although NI produces excellent quality, there's always the risk of having to put up with quirks for awhile. I can get Reaktor now, and wait on Absynth for a little while.

And K, I have the SNI. Didn't get an SNII. I'm happy with the SNI though.

Message 23/34             04-Mar-02  @  11:02 AM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

bedwyr

here's another one to have a look at - virsyn

don't hear much talk about this. it's got a load of presets, with fx and a cool morphing thing.

Message 24/34             04-Mar-02  @  04:06 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

woxy

Reaktor absolutely rocks.

Sounds like nothing I've ever heard (or been able to afford) before. The granular delay ensembles are awesome - - -

I bought it 2months ago and I'm hooked - - - using it alongside my Waldorf Microwave XT - - - Reaktor takes care of the wacky beeps / beats & sample splintering.

Only downside to all this s/w stuff is staring at 1,000,000s of windows on my monitor ....

Message 25/34             06-Mar-02  @  04:49 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

k

Link?:  No link

mind you, for a fix for the 'analog synths' part of Reaktor you could get Dynamo instead, also from NI, which is very good.

Message 26/34             07-Mar-02  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

sitarsong

Another possibility to confuse me more. Dynamo + Absynth. I dl'd the Reaktor demo but haven't done more but looked at it yet. Maybe that's what I'll do tonight.

Message 27/34             07-Mar-02  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

sitarsong

Played with the Reaktor demo. As a standalone it kept knocking out my soundcard drivers. I got it to play a little bit, but it would freeze up when I opened a couple of modules, like the CubeX which is the fm module. I brought it into Sonar with VSTConfig and it worked fine although I couldn't find the audio preferences to bring the latency down. As a standalone I had the latency all the way down once I got it working and it was no problem. So it stopped running in Sonar. Maybe I reached the 20 maxout of the demo. So I closed out and reopened but it wouldn't work again. Makes me a little nervous about getting the program. Also using it as a standalone, whatever I did it had this ugly granular distortion on the sound in each module. That disappeared once it was in Sonar. Interesting. I checked my soundcard mixer and it wasn't peaking out. When it was working, it produced some great sounds. I could hear a whole new world of techno opening up in my minds ear. There was definately druel escaping my mouth and running down my shirt if you know what I mean.

Message 28/34             07-Mar-02  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

knowa

yo just so you know, NI said that dynamo has not yet been optimized like reaktor has so its CPU usage may be higher. also, be sure you get that absynth demo. it was actually you, sitar, I had in mind when I posted the link to it because I think that for the style you seem to dig (lot-o-drums techno?), programming beats with the envelopes in absynth would be the s h i t. I have the pro-52 and absynth demo and absynth sounds 1000 times better. I think I hate the pro-52 now.

Message 29/34             07-Mar-02  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

sitarsong

Thanks Knowa. I was starring at Reaktor long and hard at Sam Ash an hour ago. Problem is if the s/w doesn't work you can't take it back. How would I find about whether this was just the demo, or the demo getting corrupted in the d/l or if there is really some incompatibility issue with my puter and Reaktor? Ponder deep and hard I must Yoda. In the meantime, I picked up Waldorf Attack. Gotta load it now.

Message 30/34             08-Mar-02  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Anybody using NI Reaktor or Pro52

knowa

I think NI has a forum. post your puter specs and see what others say. I've also stared at reaktor in sam ash, but I went home with battery instead.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)