aaa Orion Vs. Reason - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Orion Vs. Reason

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 06-Dec-00  @  11:44 AM   -   Orion Vs. Reason

kaplan2

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Hello All!
This time I wanna talk about the diffrences between Reason And Orion.
I bought Orion three months ago, when it was a baby, and now Orion grew to be a top-notch "all in one" virtual studio.
IMHO Orion is better than Reason.
The Synths are better, and you can produce more intersting themes\lines\basses with them.
After playing four days with Reason I can say that the Sub-Tractor synth is nice, but the wasp in orion is better.
I didn't like the sampler, because it doesn't support *.wav and Akai programs.
The oroin sampler at least supports wav's.
The new {orion 2.0 pro} has so many new features, which give Orion power that is equal to Hardware.
I will be gald if you will Write your Opinions, and talk about these wonderful new programs.
Happy Composing,
Fatal Virus
-----------------
Let's make some noise!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/53             30-Jan-01  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

Tom

The chorus & distortion units in Reason are totally unusable for me!
I think Pheads should have put a little more effort into the effect-section in Reason!

The subtractor-synth is pretty good, but without a decent chorus-fx you cant get that phat leads out of it.
Its best for basses & such.

And the sampler doesnt support multilayering. Pretty lame!

Message 22/53             30-Jan-01  @  09:42 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

Me

Link?: Link

Tom: You should connect the distortion and chorus directly to the machine, not sending it thru the mixer....

Message 23/53             31-Jan-01  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

Tom

Ofcourse i use them as inserts. (although i sometimes use the chorus in Reason as send)

Message 24/53             31-Jan-01  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

heheh heheeeeee.. received my UPS shipping order for Reason tonight, courtesy of propellerheads... ok, i admit they gave it to me, but i did them a favour in return.. i'll try to be fair. - ;]

Message 25/53             02-Feb-01  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mitub

"that's called a 2-band EQ, and things getting muffled has nothing to do with Reason, but with creating a bad mix...you have to give sounds their own frequency-space to keep the mix clear and punchy...use a parametric EQ and the filters to do this with more detail than the 2band EQ in the mixer...."

thanks for the info mol8292 but I'm well aware of the mixing concept. My point was that a Freq/Q/Gain EQ would have been much more useful... no - convenient for creating a better mix than a trebble/bass control. And yes I know there's an EQ 'effect' unit but I personally like to tweak each channel (ie each drum noise) and I can imagine applying a seperate EQ to each drum output in reason could be fiddly.

I put a simple 'noise' track together in reason and mixed it as best I could - timeconsuming and didn't sound too good. Then, streamed the output straight into cubase as 15 stereo channels, spent a *couple of minutes* mixing it up using nothing but the built in EQ and it sounded much much better. But there again I guess it comes down to personal preference...

Message 26/53             04-Feb-01  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

markb

Reading the review of Reason in this months future music I noticed they had
"Alternatively - Native instruments Reaktor". No mention of Orion at all. Nice one guys, your finger on the pulse as ever!

Message 27/53             04-Feb-01  @  06:17 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

k

well orion probably dont buy advertising heh heh -

Message 28/53             08-Feb-01  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

leslie

mitub,

I agree that in-line parametric EQs in the Reason mixer channels would have been ideal, but in your example of drum noise, etc., it's fairly easy to route individual ReDrum channels to seperate EQ units, then to individual mixer channels. In fact, you could set up a default Reason song that had this rack arrangement, with the EQ units nicely organized under a dedicated ReDrum mixer.

As an experement, I did just that, with 10 dedicated parametric EQ units, one for each drum channel. It took me about 5 minutes to set up, including naming the EQ units to represent the drum sounds.

Of couse, your Cubase solution is valid as well, and the Cubase mixer channels are much more powerful than the Reason mixer channels. I just wanted to state that it is possible (and not overly difficult) to get a good mix with Reason alone.

7String

Message 29/53             09-Feb-01  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

mitub

7String

Agreed. Having used it quite a lot in the last week I'm starting to come round to the 'Reason' working methods - far too much time spent in the land of Cubase and Cakewalk me thinks... But no, Trebble/Bass controls? I just don't see me using them very much. Personal pref I guess.

It was only a small point in the first place, over all I've managed to get some really pleasing sounds (well, to my ears anyway!).

Message 30/53             09-Feb-01  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Orion Vs. Reason

easy ed

I still think orion is in the lead. I've been using Reason demo for 30-40 minutes at a time, on the train on the way home from work, and I think it's way too fiddly. With Orion, I'd worked out how to use it in about 10 mins, but I can't get anywhere with Reason! The amount of shite on screen means you can't see everything at once, the sequencer is in a one inch window at the bottom of the screen, and that virtual cabling bollox is a mess as soon as you hook up a few things. It may look good but so what? Orion looks a bit crap, but it gets the job done and it sounds good. I was amazed how solid the clock is on it as well, I can record several minute-long tracks on Orion and whack it into vst and it's still bang on time at the end. This was a revelation for me, cos I can remember on my first system about 3 years ago I had a crack of Rebirth and I was importing audio into a version of cubasis that came with my sound card, and it would go out of time after about 4 bars!! It is completely rock. I suspect that Reason will be very good in this area as well, but I haven't been able to test that yet. It's got some nice sounds, and the demo tracks sound very impressive for something done with s/ware only, but the whole user interface really puts me off. I was reading the online help on the demo for about 20 mins on the train tonight and I still haven't worked out how to program a sequnce on the sampler, the help is crap anyway. Might be something to do with having a few pints at lunchtime though   but I certainly wouldn't shell out that much cash for Reason - you can get Reaktor for an extra 50 quid, and that pisses on anything!

-Ed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 53 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)