aaa Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 25-Nov-00  @  12:06 AM   -   Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

CK

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Just read the PC Pro tests on the new Intel Pentium 4 and it makes interesting reading. On their floating point performance test, the most important for Audio performance, the P4 1.5GHz only scored 884MIPS compared to the 1GHz Athlons stunning 1386MIPS! On normal applications there was little difference between the chips and the P4 was quicker for 3D (games) by 20%. These are amazing results given that the P4 was clocked 50% faster than the Athlon. Even more intersting is that you can actually buy a 1.2GHz Athlon now, whereas I doubt you'd get your hands on a P4 until early next year.

Intel will claim the worlds fastest chip, but it's real world performance that matters, not clock speed and for that the Athlon looks the best choice. Maybe software specifically compiled for the P4 will run quicker, but do we really want to have to get new versions of our software every time a new chip is launched? No wonder Intels sales figures are so poor!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/32             01-Dec-00  @  07:00 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

99devils

True, my lesson is simplistic... It's
also not really my area of expertise,
but the additional decoding logic and
the fact that single instructions must
be broken down and pipelined make things
more complex and thus slower.

Anyway, I just wanted to make the point
that adding new instructions to a CPU
does not really equal better performance.

-Craig

Message 22/32             02-Dec-00  @  12:14 AM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Jimmy

Yo Jasper...I was havin problems with a 566 mhz Celeron..as a matter of fact, im on it now. It wasnt that it couldnt handle cubase, it was that it kept on dropping and stuttering audio, or softsynth play..but then again, if yours works, then keep on doin it..dont fix it if it aint broke..and K..while the p3's may be cheap, the k7's are cheaper ; )

On a side note, i jus got and assembled my amd T-bird 700 mhz box today. Boy oh boy, it kicks the crap outta my old k6/2 500 mhz system. I truly think that I can make music without swearing or beating the PC anymore. Also, i was running the standalone version of Pro-52, and i ran the latency down to 10ms..without ASIO drivers..jus the regular ol onboard audio...how is this possible? someone tell me please...

Message 23/32             02-Dec-00  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

99devils

Which motherboard did you use for that box?

-Craig

Message 24/32             02-Dec-00  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Jimmy

Believe it or not, this is an ECS mobo..

Ive heard that ECS isnt the most reliabe of mobo's, but this one seems to accept anything ive put in there. its a K7ASA if you're curious bout the model number..I plan to go with with one of them Asus Slot A boards soon, as ive heard good things bout them. anyone know of any sound cards that i should avoid with my t-bird/athlon? im tring to look for the best, cheapest solution ; )

Message 25/32             03-Dec-00  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

99devils

Event and Lexicon say their cards definately won't work.

-Craig

Message 26/32             03-Dec-00  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Jimmy

Thanks for the heads up craig..think ill scratch those from the list..Event is the same is echo isnt it?

Message 27/32             04-Dec-00  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

99devils

Yup. Can't keep track of it all these
days y'dig?

-Craig

Message 28/32             04-Dec-00  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Jimmy

Word...that leaves me with what cards? I ultimately wanted to get an Event..or a Core 2..any suggestions?

Jimmy

Message 29/32             04-Dec-00  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

99devils

Try Midiman/M-Audio, or Frontier if
you're looking for digital I/O

-Craig

Message 30/32             06-Dec-00  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: Pentium 4 1.5GHz slower than an Athlon 1GHz!

Blunted

wow, funny how you people just love AMD! Pretty cool, considering I work for them n all......I guess I better get back to work on sledghammer!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)