aaa EXS24/Logic newbie questions.. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: EXS24/Logic newbie questions..

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             19-Feb-02  @  08:32 PM   -   EXS24/Logic newbie questions..

druid

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hey there

was reading the post on EXS24 and hypersets and am curious about some things. I'm new at producing- so it seems that my song- although developing nicely- is chaos organizationally (instruments, samples, etc.) Currently I'm running about 10 tracks with EXS 24. I have one track with cymbals, one with hats, one with kicks, one with subs, and a few others with various special hits that I am using from other EXS instruments- each running on its own channel from different instruments I either created or found on the web. I had primarily separated all of these to be able adjust the sampler filter settings for each different sound. When reading about drum maps though- I'm thinking that I should be able to map each sound to a note and combine into one sequence. But how many different types of sounds and notes can you run thru one channel?? I've read somewhere that you definitely want your subs and kicks separate so that they don't bury the other sounds. And how would you control each sample pattern separately if combined into one sequence- or would I only want to combine different hits that I would always play together? Should I use the 'convert lines to channels' command in the matrix edit window? Sorry if I sound completely confused, but I'm kind of just rambling random questions that have arisen for me recently. Does EXS24 allow for velocity cross-fading? I just read 'Drum Stuff' article and really would like to try this out, but donot recall this option being available.

thanks- dru

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             19-Feb-02  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: EXS24/Logic newbie questions..

k

checkout the EXS page in the pcware/software section - there's a full explanation of how to create key-ranges & all that stuff... but velocity switching?.. I can't remember now if it does it to be honest... ok well i just read my own exs page - rats!!.. i didnt look at that aspect of it, and don't have EXS24 here right now to check...

Message 3/4             20-Feb-02  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: EXS24/Logic newbie questions..

druid

Actually, last night I worked on it a bit and I believe that it is capable of velocity xfading. I'm not totally sure but it sounded like it. In one of the menus it had an option for auto loop xfading- with this selected I set the two samples with overlapping velocity ranges and it 'sounded' like it was working.

Can I run several different types of drum samples thru one channel without degrading things? When I first started working on these tracks I recall that some sounds would cancel each other out if on the same channel- so I split the samples into several instruments on several channels. Now I'm running low on CPU power and don't want to bounce anything quite yet. Are there any rules of thumb for this??

Message 4/4             20-Feb-02  @  05:26 PM   -   RE: EXS24/Logic newbie questions..

druid

Never mind. got it all sorted. Thanks for the reference material for EXS K!

rgds,
dru

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)