aaa running realtime plugins - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

10-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: running realtime plugins

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             07-Mar-01  @  08:04 PM   -   running realtime plugins

marwood

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello
Just how good are computers these days. I have a 450mhz amd computer with 128 megs of ram. I have been waiting for the next level up in terms of processor power, so as to run realtime effects in multi channels etc. Are the 1ghz computers capable of this or will it be a few more years. I dont particularly want to change my computer until I can achieve these things.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             07-Mar-01  @  08:16 PM   -   RE: running realtime plugins

bokonon

Link?:  Link

You can safely upgrade now and have an all-in-one system that will do EVERYTHING. The new AMD Athlons with the 133 front side bus are out. these start at 1gig. you can get them from www.monarchcomputer.com. mine was shipped to my door for $250

get an Abit KT7A motherboard (not the kt7, the kt7a) you can find the best price for that on www.pricewatch.com it'll be around $130ish

RAM - 512 megs of CAS2 PC133 from www.crucial.com. 2 sticks of 256 are only $220

you should get a new hard-drive too. the IBM Deskstar 75gxp has ata100 support for your truckload of audio files in cubase. they're about $120

i personally have to recommend a Creamware soundcard of somekind. but if you have a soundblaster live you can get excellent plugin latency with the hacked emu drivers. (http://come.to/sblive)

with this setup i can run lots of audio files with fx, and virtual sampler in multi mode with lots of samples going into more fx. all of it's mixable and tweekable in realtime.

this motherboard will support much faster chips also if you ever want to upgrade to something AMD might be offering down the road. make sure and avoid Intel chips. the pentiums floating point (good for music/3d) and overall performance is pitiful in comparison to AMD's Thunderbird processors.

Message 3/4             07-Mar-01  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: running realtime plugins

marwood

Thanks , I was suprised to hear that amd was the way to go . I was told that the intell chips were used to test most audio components. I actually do have a pulsar2 soundcard, but I am not too happy with some of the native effects. That is why I was looking at vst plug ins. Maybe this pulsar xtc will change things.

Message 4/4             08-Mar-01  @  01:16 AM   -   RE: running realtime plugins

k

you can do it what you got!! - man i got a 450, and it's fine.. tons of fx..

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)