aaa is a pentium 450 enough? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: is a pentium 450 enough?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message                 Date: 18-Nov-01  @  10:27 AM   -   is a pentium 450 enough?

bster

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

My pc is shit and i have been offered a 450 pentium with 500mb of ram and a 2 gig hard drive, i now i'll have to get a bigger hard drive and a sound card but will the 450 proccesor be enough for hard drive recording and editing of my sounds from my Supernova,JX-10,DX-100? (i'm not going to use any plug ins.
any help thanked
jaime

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 31/43             16-Dec-01  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

k

Link?:  Link

well that new egosys driver looks interesting for sonar doesnt it?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 32/43             17-Dec-01  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

Brett B

yeah K, I posted that up on the Sonar thread. Their cards look like the Sonar winner to me, but having xtra dsp power from an additional card like the uad-1 would be nice but not for $1000. They selling for $600 now? I am happy with my Waves Gold bundle. I just need more cpu to take advantage of the new Renaissance reverb. Most of my cpu is eaten up by my plug-ins. I use many instances of the Renaissance Compressor. Filters like GRM, PI Warp, Fromage. They all eat up resources. I also only have a 100mhz system bus, not the 133. it makes a noticable diferance.

Message 33/43             17-Dec-01  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

influx

but thats my point! the UA is DSP so..you dont need more processor

I have a shop that will sell me one for $580 shipped. Probably do a bit better for TWO then!

Message 34/43             17-Dec-01  @  10:13 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

influx

but thats my point! the UA is DSP so..you dont need more processor

I have a shop that will sell me one for $580 shipped. Probably do a bit better for TWO then!

Message 35/43             18-Dec-01  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

k

yeah, but is the egosys dsp reverb any good?... their built in fx might be crapola...

damn it, why doesnt someone release dsp cards to load standard VST & DX plugs ?>.. by now you'd think SOMEONE would have got that out... there is one company but you have to use their plugins only.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 36/43             18-Dec-01  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

steve

Link?: Link

I think sensoniq was saying pulsars been tweaked to allow its onboard dsp to be used to power vst plugs now but the implementation is shite with awful latency or sumfing.

Don`t it seem as if dsp cards might be dead before they`ve even got started tho? I can`t see it being too long before you can knock up a pc with dual 2.2ghz processors and a lightning fast system buss very cheaply so would we really need these things then?

Message 37/43             18-Dec-01  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

knowa

I second K's "damn it." I don't know enough about computers to judge how difficult this would be, but some sort of general VST plug accelerator would be a miracle. I guess companies are banking on sick, multi GHZ machines in the near future, but I bet that even then, apps will be redesigned to make use of the additional power and we'll still be wanting more. that's why some sort of universal VST card would be so dope--no matter what machine you have and what plugs you use, it will boost your performance. I guess that at some point, the difference between fast and slow machines will be less critical than it is now. Waves and NI are the best companies IMO, and they are both sort of anti-DSP I think.

Message 38/43             21-Dec-01  @  09:02 PM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

Brett B

hell, you can build a tower with two 2ghz PIV's for under $2000. Then you don't need dsp card fx. But as we move to 192khz audio for dvd audio and SACD, these new superfast machines will be working as hard as my current running 44.1. K , I am not getting the egosys dsp based card. I am getting an audio teminal 010 . It's digital only with a midi port-tdif/adat/r-bus and spdif. I have always thought it would be possible for a hardware developers to make a pci card that handled native fx or at least versions of the plugs for hardware. That is what protools , tc- powercore, emu rx32,uad-1 are doing. They just seem to have ignored DX8 as a consumer level format, not a profesional format. Sonar is young and developers will see that cakewalk is truely huge. I think within the next two years we will see harware based fx systms for dx8. For now, I am just going to build a dual cpu system.

Message 39/43             22-Dec-01  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

Brett B

Link?: Link

Got the new tune up-"shadows and Dust"

Message 40/43             22-Dec-01  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: is a pentium 450 enough?

influx

I listened. am listening again. I guess I didnt get the hint when you drop all those comments about hybrid that you would sound like em.

hehe. cant say that I hear 40-50 tracks in there 

cant say its all bad, either. some cool sounds. a bit long, no? oh..progressive breaks. I forgot. long.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 43 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)