aaa Echo mia - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Echo mia

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             27-Nov-01  @  08:22 AM   -   Echo mia

bster

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm thinking of getting the mia s/card, and need advice on routing so that i can record different parts from my Supernova,dx,drumstation blah blah.
Do i just put it all into my mackie then into the sound card and record one part at a time on different tracks in cubase?

I ask this as i have done zero audio work within the pc also is it worth getting a card with a breakout box with 8 or so ins and outs or is it pointless?

cheers for my stupidity

Big mouth billy B-ster

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             27-Nov-01  @  10:58 AM   -   RE: Echo mia

milan

Link?:  Link

well, if you want to multitrack stuff into the PC for mixing/editing/etc, then its deffinitely a good idea to get a multi-in soundcard. on the other hand, if you want to generate sounds from within the pc, and then mix using a h/w mixer you would need a multi-out card then, obviously, no?

for example: i use an Echo Gina which has 2 analogue ins and 8 outs, plus spdif i/o. i use it to record synth lines and what not into the PC to free up my synth or sampler for other sound duties, usually via analog ins. then i might use the uotputs to mix the track on my Promix01, and then in the end record a finished mix back into the PC via Digital out from the mixer. easy.

thats what i do, but there are also other ways to do it. depends on what you want or what you can afford.

cheers, m.

Message 3/5             27-Nov-01  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: Echo mia

bster

Link?:  No link

cheers for the reply,
my aim is to record my midi sequenced lines etc from the drumstation supernova and DX-100 into the pc to tighten up the timing etc/apply effects(from within Cubase)i also want to use the pc as a sampler with sounds from cd-roms etc.
so is it perfectly decent enough to mix from within cubase or should i get the sounds back to my mackie 1402, mix them then send it straight into the pc for mastering and burning. (bearing in mind that the Mackie is all analogue would this comprimise my final mix to cd?.

your help/opinion is appr.

Message 4/5             27-Nov-01  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: Echo mia

bedwyr

Link?: Link

if you get your sounds into the computer, then mix them through the mackie, then record back to the computer for mastering, you're going through 3 stages of a/d conversion. some people say that this makes for a more brittle sound, on drums etc.. (dunno myself) you can certainly mix it all in your computer, but if your into doing fx sends and eq sweeps etc. 'on the fly' then you might find the computer a bit limiting (though again you can program all of this, or set up a remote controller). where you might want to use the mackie would be if you wanted to add some overdriven analog desk flavour to synth lines, drums etc.

Message 5/5             29-Nov-01  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: Echo mia

milan

Link?:  Link

well not really, when you overload inputs on a Mackie it sounds like someone farting, a digital clipping kinda sound.

bster, although i like h/w mixers i think you would simply have more power in Cubase regarding eq, compression and such. try it out and see for yourself, whatever works- works.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)