aaa Importing midi (GM) drum tracks? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             16-Aug-01  @  12:08 PM   -   Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

paul kaufman

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I've only had Reason a couple of days and I'm baffled.
I'm trying to import a midi file, which I want to then play around with.

I'm ok with the intstrument channels, but once I get to my drum track (channel 10), ReDrum won't play it because all the note numbers are wrong - and there doesn't seem to be any way to change which note numbers RedDrum uses.

I thought I could cut and paste the individual drum lines into ReDrum patterns, but it won't let me do that.

So can anyone advise the best way to sort this out?

thanks in advance

Paul K

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             17-Aug-01  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

k

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

After importing your drum part and seeing it on the redrum pattern editor in the sequencer, simply click the 'show key lane' and the keyboard edit map appears above, then using the arrow tool, lassoo & select a lane/row of notes on the piano grid and drag them to the new piano key to match the reason drum lane

Reason's drum channels on the REDRUM work from C1 going up, a semitone per channel.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             17-Aug-01  @  01:48 AM   -   RE: Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

k

if you are transposing a whole song-length of drum notes, you can zoom out to max drag 7 select the row then right click on the row of notes and choose the command: Change Events

then use transpose to flip the whole row up/down in key.. easier than trying to manualy drag the whole row of say 250 bars cos at max zoom out like that it is easy to accidently drag them also a few beats to the right or left by mistake!

you can also select any part of a bar with one row of notes & then right click on them and choose: GROUP

This then selects all notes within that selected range - that's a useful one.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/5             17-Aug-01  @  10:25 AM   -   RE: Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

paul kaufman

Link?:  No link

Brilliant!! many thanks for taking the time to explain all that - its much appreciated!

Of course an easier way would still be if ReDrum allowed you to choose the note numbers for each drum sound. Many they'll think about it in a future release!

Paul K

Message 5/5             18-Aug-01  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Importing midi (GM) drum tracks?

k

true - a good idea may be (if you use vst) is to build a drum map specialy for conjverting GM drum files - open the GM drum track into vst, load the drum map, then set the track to a MIDI Track and when it asks wether to use the In or OUT notes, select OUT-Notes and the track will have all the notes re-ordered to suit Reason's drum machine. (not that you can do more than 10 drums without opening another reason drumbox I guess; i didnt try that yet. Then save the song as a midifile & import into REASON.

It definatly would be a good idea to be able to change reasons notes for the redrum but them it's make other issues so i wouldnt expect it.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)