aaa Help with Recording from Tape - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Help with Recording from Tape

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             31-Mar-01  @  02:43 AM   -   Help with Recording from Tape

fmahmoud

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am trying to learn the bengali language and the book came with two audio casettes. I would like to record these files onto my pc as wav's and then code them as Mp3's, so that I can listen to them with my mp3 discman, and store them on my computer also. Here's my system rundown:

PIII 450
256 MB Ram
Windows 2k Pro
SoundBlaster PCI 128

I am playing the tapes on a really crappy walkman, which is hooked up to my soundblaster with a audio cable with 1/8" connectors on each end. I used sound recorder (the built in windows app) to record it, but the sound was really really crappy.

I also own SoundForge 4.5 and Total recorder. If anyone out there has any tips on how I can do this most efficiently, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Faisal

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             31-Mar-01  @  02:45 AM   -   RE: Help with Recording from Tape

fmahmoud

PS, I dont think the walkman is the problem, because the sound is fine when listening with headphones.

Message 3/5             31-Mar-01  @  12:54 PM   -   RE: Help with Recording from Tape

Silver

try messing with the levels. the meter (in soundforge) should peak on 0dB, maybe turn the volume up on the walkman and down on the input in soundforge. or the other way round. and monitor the sound from your souncard output, the sound you hear is what your gonna get. record as wav. then when you're happy with it encode to mp3.

you could also try musicmatch jukebox, it will encode mp3's straight from the line in, or from wav and its free.

Message 4/5             31-Mar-01  @  05:41 PM   -   RE: Help with Recording from Tape

fmahmoud

Thanks for the advice Silver, I already had MMJB, but I had no idea it was so versatile with its recording. Everything is coming out just fine now. In fact, I think the true problem lay in one of two areas. Under mic in properties in mixer, there was a mic boost option selected which i unselected. And the mix was going through Total Recorder Driver, which I switched back to the Sound Blaster Driver. I also adjusted the levels on the mixer panel. Thanks alot!

Message 5/5             01-Apr-01  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: Help with Recording from Tape

Silver

you really want to use the line in as opposed to mic in though, on the souncard

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)