aaa hard dicsk - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard dicsk

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message                 Date: 03-Feb-02  @  10:27 PM   -   hard dicsk

mark

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I have run out of space on my 20 gig drive so was thinking of adding an extra 40 gig (IDE) onto it. i know a bit about these things but need to hear others opinions.

Is 7,200 rpm the fastest speed you can get? if not where can i buy a faster one

i cant go wrong with 8.5 ms access time ..right?

2 meg cache is ample?

have you heared of this barrocuda seagate beast? is it worth spending the extra? what would the advantages be over my spec above?

Do you know anywhere online (UK) i can get really cheap deals apart from scan.co.uk or ebuyer.com ??

am i asking too many questions?

Thanks, Mark

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 41/58             28-Jun-02  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

Link?:  Link

what happens if you remove the scsi card setup first then add it in? or remove the drive from it... setup with the two ide drives (disk & cdrom) and scis card in, then add the scsi actual drives after. I wonder if the time you pluged in the raid cable it set something for that pci bus in the bios?? which might need clearing?

??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 42/58             30-Jun-02  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

GT

i won't bother to ask ever again

Message 43/58             30-Jun-02  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

Link?: Link

jesus!!!!!

this is the sort of thing that I would just have to be there in person to sort out!

so...you load the 98boot disk and chooose start with CD support, right?

and then it goes to C:

you need to type D: or whatever the system told you was your CDrom, then do a dir

you should just be able to type "setup" and itll go from there?

personally I would just pull the SCSI hard drive for now...and install to the IDE drive.

you have FDISK'd it and formatted the IDE right? done your partitions?

gosh D...fly to CA and Ill sort it out for you

another thing you can do is just COPY the entire windows CDrom over to your boot drive and run setup from there...Ive done that before, too...

Message 44/58             30-Jun-02  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

Link?:  Link

well i've been running a 2940 scsi setup on one box on my home network for years, first as NT4, now as 98, never had an issue with installing, but I never use a scsi boot drive tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 45/58             30-Jun-02  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Sorry GT - I meant to respond but just forgot in the moment. :-( I appreciate the offer though...

Message 46/58             01-Jul-02  @  02:05 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

up

Message 47/58             01-Jul-02  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Sorry Dave, I wish it were that simple. I couldn't get the computer to recognize the IDE hd and cd-rom at the same time. Without the cd-rom, I can't load Windows, without the hd, I can't load Windows to anything. Kind of a catch-22.

Message 48/58             01-Jul-02  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

bro, I am TELLING you: You have them both set to either master or slave

I would set the HD to master and the CD to slave, or have them both set to "Cable Select" if you have a cable that designates master and slave.

honestly. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Its just not that mysterious...not some sort of hit and miss thing really where SOMETIMES a drive will get recognized

I did that once..put two drives on one IDE buss. Had em both set to master...system only saw the FIRST drive in the chain (the HD in my case)

did you check this?

Message 49/58             02-Jul-02  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Yeah - we checked that and still couldn't get it to work right. The back of the cd-rom had a jumper with 3 options - select, master, slave. We tried all three in all combinations. A friend of mine has it now and was stumped. He needed to hook up an IDE cd-rom drive, and load the OS onto the new IDE drive. He couldn't get it to partition like I wanted, though, and he can't figure out why either. He knows what he's doing (used to work for Sun in tech support), and he's scratching his head.

Message 50/58             02-Jul-02  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

man I think you should just give up on computers. youre clearly a jinx!

COULD be a faulty drive? You have had the worst run of bad experiences with these things over the course of time, no?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)