aaa hard dicsk - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: hard dicsk

Viewing all 58 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

Original Message 1/58             03-Feb-02  @  10:27 PM   -   hard dicsk

mark

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have run out of space on my 20 gig drive so was thinking of adding an extra 40 gig (IDE) onto it. i know a bit about these things but need to hear others opinions.

Is 7,200 rpm the fastest speed you can get? if not where can i buy a faster one

i cant go wrong with 8.5 ms access time ..right?

2 meg cache is ample?

have you heared of this barrocuda seagate beast? is it worth spending the extra? what would the advantages be over my spec above?

Do you know anywhere online (UK) i can get really cheap deals apart from scan.co.uk or ebuyer.com ??

am i asking too many questions?

Thanks, Mark

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/58             04-Feb-02  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

onemind

I saw a harddrive in some mag that was 15,000 rpm with an access time of less then 6.0 seconds no shit. I think it is cald a "Cheeta" or something...and no, questions are good;)

Message 3/58             04-Feb-02  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Si

Link?: Link

Go to www.dabs.com I bought two IBM 30Gb 7200rpm drives almost a year ago for around £100 each. They're fast and very reliable.

From what I've heard, there are plans for a 10,000rpm IDE drive, but anything at that speed or higher is generally only attainable with SCSI, and you're talking huge money.

Si.

Message 4/58             04-Feb-02  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

7200 RPM is plenty fast for IDE drives. SCSI drives offer no advantage to IDE drives for our purposes.. Check out the Maxtor DiamondMax 7200RPM models, or the IBM drives. Look for ATA-100 or higher, and 7200 RPM.

There are SCSI drives with higher rotational speeds than 7200 (15k I think is the fastest). However, RPMs don't necessarily equal speed..

-Craig

Message 5/58             26-May-02  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Okay - this looks like a thread in my direction. My WestDig drive is getting lots of bad sectors, and is out of warranty. So I need to get a couple of new ones. I have an Ultrawide SCSI HD now - 9gb, 7400rpm (I think) - and I'm not sure I want to spend the money on getting a fast SCSI drive. I see lots of specials on big drives from Staples and Office Max (US stores) and I wonder if they are good enough for what we do. I have Win98 running on a homegrown machine - pIII667mhz, 256ram, Abit BEII board (has raid capability) and an Intel chipset. I was thinking that 2 20gb hds would be fine. I am thinking IDE, as well, and get rid of the SCSI drive altogether.

Is that a good direction to go? Will a Maxtor be fine? I would prefer to get something in box because of the problems I had getting cheap equipment from Pricewatch (I know its not them, but that's how I found the scummy dealer - Krex.com). Any suggestions?

Message 6/58             27-May-02  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Si

You could go with the latest Seagate Barracuda drives - they're fast and apparently very quiet. I recently picked up a Western Digital 120Gb drive with 8Mb cache which is nice, though not exactly the quietest drive I've used. According to Toms Hardware, it matches some 10k SCSI drives for performance!!

If you're looking at the smaller drives I'd probably go for the Barracuda's. I'd stay away from IBM 75GXP drives - I've had one 30Gb drive die on me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Si.

Message 7/58             28-May-02  @  06:40 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

Darin, Check out pricewatch.com.. I got a 60gb Maxtor UDMA133 7200rpm IDE drive for about $95 shipped.

It's worked perfectly so far.

Message 8/58             28-May-02  @  10:04 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

OK, so I should apparently read everything first  

I'll find out where I got mine when I get home. I have the receipt somewhere.

-Craig

Message 9/58             28-May-02  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

I'd prefer to stay away from Pricewatch as far as sourcing goes. I'ld prefer to buy locally. Cheap is great as long as you get good stuff. When I built my computer, I ended up getting crap from a couple of dealers adn I don't want to do that again. If I pay $10 more for something around here, that's fine with me. So your Maxtor is treating you well?

Message 10/58             28-May-02  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

damballah

mine all are. have 3. it isn't 10 bucks though. I had an emergency and ran out to CompUSA. paid more for a 20 gig 5400 rpm one than I did for a 40 gig 7200 rpm one from newegg. emergencies are like that though.

Message 11/58             29-May-02  @  02:55 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Mike Goldberg

holy shit...my IBM 40 gig just died on me yesterday, after a year !!!

Stay away from IBM!#@$# #

Seagate sucks too......

western digital all the way man!

peace,
mike

Message 12/58             29-May-02  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

hehe. thats funny. seagate is sposed to be known for quality, and WD for skimping.

DZ..you can find local sellers on pricewatch, too...

Message 13/58             29-May-02  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

no man Seagate ROCKS... I always use their ST drives now I discovered them and they are almost silent too!!! - I mean like when my XP drive boots it is 100% silent as it boots the OS... the others all 'rip & tear' as they boot. They are easy to recognise at PC Fairs cos they have a black rubber outer sleeve wrapped round the metal drive case, and they come in various sizes, 40gb usualy for about £55 quid each.

Message 14/58             29-May-02  @  02:35 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

Yeah, I've got a 3 out of 3 death rate with Western Digital drives too. I'll never buy another product from WD.

-Craig

Message 15/58             30-May-02  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Okay - I'll try there again and sort on local guys. I just wish I had a neck to wring when I had my problems. Not thrilled with my WD - didn't last long at all. And I PAID for the damn SCSI portion of it, too. Ugh - this is why I'm hesitant about the PC thang, Dave...

Message 16/58             30-May-02  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

xoxos

? my ibm has been solid for about 3 years and at least a dozen reformattings..

don't you dare say that re: 40 g ibms!

hey - here's a 'good' question.. loads of you are into using 2 drives. i don't see so much benefit to it, since i understand one 7200 drive can do like 128 24bit stereo tracks.. only real reason would be for this type of situation..

so.. say i get another drive? where should i stick it? as the slave on the same bus as the first, or as a second with the cd-r? wouldn't that compromise performance??

Message 17/58             31-May-02  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: hard disk

GT

most def' seagate.

second that on www.newegg.com -fantasic prices, and truly honest shipping rates. i built my 1.4G mostly from there.

dz, at least use the site to make sure there isn't a huge difference in price at your local.

something i've doing for a while with great convenience, speed and security:

4.5G scsi - WIN2K OS \
seagate
18G scsi - recording /

40G eide - drivers, mp3, patches, articles etc AND backups.

Message 18/58             31-May-02  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

milan

heh... and i had a seagate scsi which died on me after 2yrs. no one is safe, apparently...

Message 19/58             05-Jun-02  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

GT

new drive milan or refurb'd?

hot hot was were the operating conditions?

Message 20/58             05-Jun-02  @  05:30 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

wtf?

ok buster poindexter

Message 21/58             05-Jun-02  @  11:24 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

milan

gb, that was some yrs ago. totaly normal conditions inside a pc. wouldnt expect it, right? it got sent to the factory for tests, but it was irrepairable...

Message 22/58             05-Jun-02  @  12:30 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

sitar

Link?:  Link

I bought a maxtor 120 gb storage drive to move/backup music. My hd was getting full. It's usb but with an adaptor, which I haven't gotten, they say the new usb is as fast as scsi. Could probably run music off of it if that's the case. expensive though but I decided finally to get a backup. The only thing I don't like is that you have to make sure you remove it virtually before you power down or you might lose everything or damage the drive. A little scary.

Message 23/58             05-Jun-02  @  02:12 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

thats the point tho - there is NO safe hard drive - all drives eventualy fail, hence I always say use two drives one for backup and one for work and archive finished tracks also to CD or cart. use smaller drives rather that getting huge ones and load tracks/songs to the work drive in their own dedicated folder which can be easily moved and archived.#

Few people do this, few give much thought to orgainsing their work into dedicated folders.. but 1 folder per song with all samples and audio files and all saved presets & drum kit sets etc all saved in one folder under the song title makes organising & archiving work a breeze.

Message 24/58             05-Jun-02  @  09:46 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

99devils

One of my college professors used to drill us with this:

"Hard disks are complicated electro-mechanical devices that WILL FAIL at some point"

It's a true-ism  

DVD-R will make all this so much easier once it's affordable.

-Craig

Message 25/58             06-Jun-02  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

sitarsong

I'm glad Sonar now saves tracks with the name of the track used in nameing the wav files.

Message 26/58             12-Jun-02  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Zq

Okay - my motherboard is an ABIT BE6II and supports Ultra ATA/66. I'm looking for new drives and they are all ATA/100. Can I use an ATA/100? Will it dumb itself down to my system? Thanks.

Message 27/58             12-Jun-02  @  03:30 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

damballah

yes

Message 28/58             12-Jun-02  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Brett

one song, one folder. This is what I did in cubase. I wasn't sharp enought o change the folder option in Sonar when I first started so bundle was how you did it. Problme was. I had a bundle that was 900megs because it was 30 full lenght tracks I imported from Reason when I first started using it. This was why I switched back to Cubase to use reasona dn rewire. Now that Sonar supports rewire there is really no use for cubase anymore and archiving is easy with bundleing.

Message 29/58             12-Jun-02  @  03:57 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Brett

sorry, I relly should proof read my threads.

Message 30/58             12-Jun-02  @  04:01 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

bedwyr

hehe, you *really* should  

Message 31/58             12-Jun-02  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Brett

i know!

Message 32/58             12-Jun-02  @  11:08 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Cool - just ordered a hard drive. Thanks!

Message 33/58             22-Jun-02  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Okay - so my system isn't seeing my new hd. So I decide to format my existing hard drive. Problem is, I'm missing my boot disk (ahem). Must find boot disk or I'm hosed.

Message 34/58             24-Jun-02  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Fusion

Make one with the machine your using now

control panel > add remove programs > Startup disk

you probabaly know that, but some people niglect it.

Fusion 

Message 35/58             24-Jun-02  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

not seeing your new drive? not even in bios?

are you sure you have it set to slave if its on the same bus as the old one? are you sure the power is on?

no offense intended. it happens 

Message 36/58             25-Jun-02  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Fusion - there's no control panel for me now at this point. I do have the startup disk for 98 but there's no autorun on it or startup on it.

Influx - It's difficult to tell if the thing is on. I'm not sure how to know if the power cable is hooked up properly or if it even works. I did see an IDE drive in CMOS but it was for a 6.2 gig drive, not a 20 gig (which is what I have).

Message 37/58             25-Jun-02  @  03:52 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

the 6 gig would be your old drive then?

the power..there is no way to hook it up "wrong" but you COULD have the IDE cable in wrong, or you COULD have it set to master (if the other drive is set to master on the same buss you wont see the 20 gig)

Message 38/58             25-Jun-02  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

you ARE using a proper ata100 cable yes?.... it maybe that the two cant co-exist on the same bus too. I have an ata100 drive in a box with an older ata 33 drive and when I added it I had to put it on it's own bus to format it first, then it works only as slave with the cdrom as secondary so check the cable type is correct, put it on it's own bus (remove the cdrom if neccesary cos an older cdrom on the same bus might also cause it noit to be visible) - make sure that the bios is switched ON for that IDE slot you add it to and the bios ide slot is set to AUTO.

Message 39/58             25-Jun-02  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

I have a 9gig SCSI drive hooked up to the 2940uw Adaptec PCI controller. The SCSI drive is set as the boot drive. I tried hooking up the new IDE drive and while in CMOS, an IDE drive was located, but it was a 6.2gig drive. Perhaps my BIOS software can't see the whole drive? Anyhow - after having no luck getting the new IDE drive hooked up, I formatted the SCSI drive (using the SCSI utitily), and tried to do a clean install on the SCSI drive and worry about the new drive later. WHen I start up my computer with the startup disk from 98 (not a boot disk), I get a c: prompt. Doing a dir on it, I can see there is no setup or autorun.exe. When I try to install the OS using the cd, it says it can't detect my cd-rom (which is also SCSI). So I'm at a loss here... I should have paid someone to do this in the first place. I don't have the time to mess with this computer crap.

Message 40/58             28-Jun-02  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Defector Z

Okay - here's the deal. I had a friend come over last night, and we tried to work on it. It turns out that I was using the wrong cable for the drive. My board supports Raid, and the cable for the raid ide ports is _almost_ identical to a standard IDE cable. Because I couldn't tell the difference, I had plugged the new drive into the raid ports and the drive was not being detected during the hardware id portion of boot up. Sooooooo, we plugged the drive in correctly.

Now, when we tried to install the OS on the new drive, we found I couldn't load the OS onto the IDE drive because my cd-rom is SCSI and the floppy disk is recognized before the computer boots up the scsi drives and card. When I try to boot with cd support, the computer doesn't see the scsi drive and can't load the os from the scsi drive.

Soooooo - we pulled the ide cd-rom from my home computer, and plugged it in, but couldn't get the computer to accept the cd-rom drive and the hd on the same ide cable. It detected either one individually, but not at the same time. So we figured we could format my scsi hd and load the os onto that first (so I can start testing out Sonar), but when trying to do the install, the install stalls at "PCI bus scan completed". The cd-rom drives are loaded (Oak technology) but the process aborts at at "PCI bus scan completed".

Does anyone have any ideas? My 60 day trial period for Sonar is running out... Although having started RTFM, I can see that I'm gonna love it more than Cubase 3.7 and Wavelab 2 combined.

Message 41/58             28-Jun-02  @  07:55 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

what happens if you remove the scsi card setup first then add it in? or remove the drive from it... setup with the two ide drives (disk & cdrom) and scis card in, then add the scsi actual drives after. I wonder if the time you pluged in the raid cable it set something for that pci bus in the bios?? which might need clearing?

??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 42/58             30-Jun-02  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

GT

i won't bother to ask ever again

Message 43/58             30-Jun-02  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

jesus!!!!!

this is the sort of thing that I would just have to be there in person to sort out!

so...you load the 98boot disk and chooose start with CD support, right?

and then it goes to C:

you need to type D: or whatever the system told you was your CDrom, then do a dir

you should just be able to type "setup" and itll go from there?

personally I would just pull the SCSI hard drive for now...and install to the IDE drive.

you have FDISK'd it and formatted the IDE right? done your partitions?

gosh D...fly to CA and Ill sort it out for you

another thing you can do is just COPY the entire windows CDrom over to your boot drive and run setup from there...Ive done that before, too...

Message 44/58             30-Jun-02  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

well i've been running a 2940 scsi setup on one box on my home network for years, first as NT4, now as 98, never had an issue with installing, but I never use a scsi boot drive tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 45/58             30-Jun-02  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Sorry GT - I meant to respond but just forgot in the moment. :-( I appreciate the offer though...

Message 46/58             01-Jul-02  @  02:05 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

up

Message 47/58             01-Jul-02  @  02:29 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Sorry Dave, I wish it were that simple. I couldn't get the computer to recognize the IDE hd and cd-rom at the same time. Without the cd-rom, I can't load Windows, without the hd, I can't load Windows to anything. Kind of a catch-22.

Message 48/58             01-Jul-02  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

bro, I am TELLING you: You have them both set to either master or slave

I would set the HD to master and the CD to slave, or have them both set to "Cable Select" if you have a cable that designates master and slave.

honestly. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Its just not that mysterious...not some sort of hit and miss thing really where SOMETIMES a drive will get recognized

I did that once..put two drives on one IDE buss. Had em both set to master...system only saw the FIRST drive in the chain (the HD in my case)

did you check this?

Message 49/58             02-Jul-02  @  01:04 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Yeah - we checked that and still couldn't get it to work right. The back of the cd-rom had a jumper with 3 options - select, master, slave. We tried all three in all combinations. A friend of mine has it now and was stumped. He needed to hook up an IDE cd-rom drive, and load the OS onto the new IDE drive. He couldn't get it to partition like I wanted, though, and he can't figure out why either. He knows what he's doing (used to work for Sun in tech support), and he's scratching his head.

Message 50/58             02-Jul-02  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

man I think you should just give up on computers. youre clearly a jinx!

COULD be a faulty drive? You have had the worst run of bad experiences with these things over the course of time, no?

Message 51/58             02-Jul-02  @  02:08 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Yes, I am jinxed. Not sure what to do though. Can't afford a new system, as nice as that would be... My buddy was able to get things running though. He just had to mess things around quite a bit. He was able to install the OS, and I should have it back tomorrow night to start reinstalling software and hardware. Fun fun. Wish me luck.

Message 52/58             02-Jul-02  @  02:15 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Yes, I am jinxed. Not sure what to do though. Can't afford a new system, as nice as that would be... My buddy was able to get things running though. He just had to mess things around quite a bit. He was able to install the OS, and I should have it back tomorrow night to start reinstalling software and hardware. Fun fun. Wish me luck.

Message 53/58             02-Jul-02  @  02:16 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

me again...

Sorry about the double post...

Message 54/58             02-Jul-02  @  03:09 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

k

hmm... can I ask.,.. these ide drives are older right or at least the cdr drive is older right - are you trying to wire them to this newer ata66 board using the newer ata100 cable which came with the new ide ata100 drive??... it might not work with the cdr & newer cable - sometimes youi CANNOT run an older drive on the new ata ribbon cable at the same time as a newer ata100/66 drive... try an OLDER style ide ribbon cable

Message 55/58             02-Jul-02  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

def z

The ide cd-rom that I plugged in is from a 4 year old compaq. The IDE cable is old, and the ide drive is new. I believe the ide cable came with the mobo when I bought it 2 years ago.

Message 56/58             16-Jul-02  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Def Z

Just to update - the pc is working fine for now (knock on wood). Both drives going smoothly, new software and OS playing really nicely together. Now if I could only write something decent... :-(

Message 57/58             17-Jul-02  @  03:23 AM   -   RE: hard dicsk

influx

didnt you just finish an album?

TAKE A BREAK, MAN! jeez! 

Message 58/58             27-Jul-02  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: hard dicsk

Defector Z

Okay - I just got back from vacation. :-)

Viewing all 58 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6

There are 58 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)