aaa audio input monitoring q. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: audio input monitoring q.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             21-Jan-02  @  12:57 PM   -   audio input monitoring q.

bedwyr

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello all,

ok i've read k's article on this subject and i've got my new mic coming into an audio object in logic, and i've set up a send with some reverb for it. cool.

i realise that i can't record with the fx, but when i set up an audio track to record the mic dry, it also switches off my send on the input object so i can't hear the verb. is this the way it is?

i suppose it's ok for synths etc. but not so good for vocals etc. in fact, it's useless.

does anyone know if 5 sorts this, or when i get my mic pre shall i get a cheap little mixer so i can set up a little monitor mix with outboard reverb? (my soundcard has multi outs)

cheers, beds.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             25-Jan-02  @  11:10 PM   -   RE: audio input monitoring q.

onemind

Link?:  No link

I ran into the same problem. When I hit record on an audio track it kills the fx on the input signal. Like bedwyr writes, its fine for sequenced goodness but not for the likes of that which is played or sung live...

Message 3/6             29-Jan-02  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: audio input monitoring q.

xoxos

you mean if you listen to audio logic you can actually hear audio going in to it??!

i've got two different places on mine that say 'audio input monitoring' ticked, and still nothing.

let me guess.. they didn't get that fixed until after 4.0.. oh well. new pc for me soon as this one guy pays me.

Message 4/6             02-Feb-02  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: audio input monitoring q.

CK aka PENBOA

Can't you put the Reverb on the track you are recording to, instead of the input? Then if you have set the input monitoring up properly I think you should here the reverb. However, not sure that I would want to monitor vocals via Logic anyway because of the latency (in + out remember) unless you have a very very low latency audio card. Personally I prefer to record vocals with dry, monitoring via the desk, but that's down to personal preferences, some people find the Reverb makes them more relaxed and improves the performanc.

Message 5/6             02-Feb-02  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: audio input monitoring q.

bedwyr

well, i've no problem with latency, and i'm only using a darla, if you only want a little reverb on a vocal or sax then it's not a problem. k did a workaround in another thread here. i've always found that singers rather like having reverb to sing with. otherwise it feels like thier vocal is coming out from the insides of their head!

as to your question, no i don't think you can, coz when you press record it switches off sends on the recording track and the input object.

Message 6/6             02-Feb-02  @  01:05 PM   -   RE: audio input monitoring q.

k

that's right it does... you must use an 'input object' anyway to add REALTIME fx to incoming signals - if you use a normal record 'audio-track' these audio 'objects' do NOT allow realtime fx to be added to INCOMING signals, only outgoing previously recorded audio.
of course, you can create as many 'audio input monitor objects' as you like - so with an 8 input audio card you create small bank of an additional 8 channels on your mixer and save this as your default setup - then everytime you load that default your mixer has 8 input audio mixer channel 'objects' ready & waiting to accept INCOMING audio from your outboard via your 8 input rack, and add fx in realtime and blend this with your onboard pc-audio & s/w synth mix for a 100% internal automated mix.

Of course, using these 'input audio mixer channel objects' you can create automated mix moves which will auto-mix your OUTBOARD kit in realtime....
any outboard you feed into your rack can be auto-mixed with the rest of the song without having to record the outboard as actual audio parts!

and that includes Fx!!... so for example, you could have an old 12 bit hardware sampler sending out a loop on one of it's outputs, going IN to a logic channel via your pc i/o rack, then add a Logic lo-pass filter eq into the Insert for that Logic channel and sweep the filter in realtime which will sweep the incoming drum loop in realtime in the mix without having to actualy record the audio!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)