aaa VST, Mac, strange behavior - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: VST, Mac, strange behavior

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             07-Aug-01  @  10:06 PM   -   VST, Mac, strange behavior

noah

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello VST Mac users. Listen to how naughty my system is being, and please try to help me determine the cause.

Once upon a time, I imported a reversed cymbal aif. into a track, and used the audio function "fade out." It sounded dumb. So I erased it. When I tried to reimport the original, I found that VST would automatically perform the stupid fade out.

I deferred to the infinite wisdom of the DT community. The benevolent overlord Kilo explained that this behavior is one of VST's weak points. I was baffled at just how destructive "non-destructive" editing could be. I moved on with my life.

But alas--this recent development simply cannot be normal. VST has changed the original aif file, so that even if I open it up in Recycle, the fade out is visible/audible.

Similar things have happened with a few other sound files, including two files that just developed random bursts of noise in the middle.

How can this be? If VST makes a copy of the original file each time it is imported or recorded, how can this copy so sneakily infect its mother file? Has this happened to you?

Also, occasionally when recirding through a 2408, one channel will just decide to reject a second or so of audio. Like. "Do you believe in life af______ve! (Just kidding).

does this sound like a hardware or software issue to you? I mean, for Cubase to destroy data outside of its domain (i.e. non-imported, original sound files) seems suspect. Is my copy of Cubase (5.0) particularly nefarious?

Your help is appreciated.

--noah

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             07-Aug-01  @  10:26 PM   -   RE: VST, Mac, strange behavior

d

cubase doesn't make a copy of every file you import. it works right on the original. when you make an edit, it makes a temporary copy to give you one undo but that's it. you have the option of turning a selection or a region into a new file so any edits you make on it don't affect the original.

the thing with the 2408 sounds like some sorta glitch.

Message 3/6             08-Aug-01  @  02:58 PM   -   RE: VST, Mac, strange behavior

noah

thanks d. How do I excersize this option to turn a selection or reigon into a new file. I have already enabled "Copy part creates new segment" in the Audio Preferences section (but perhaps I accidentally turned it off--I'll check). Is this the option you're referring to?

This didn't used to happen. If (e.g.) I import a file named "Tenor Sax", a dialog box appears asking me to choose an Audio Files Folder (destination) folder, and then a file named "Tenor Sax aif. _____" always appears in the folder I have choosen. Is that not a copy of the original, a new file, that I can mess with without affecting the original? I'm assuming that it is because I've imported and chopped up the same sample (into different songs) lots of times without affecting the original source file.

Sorry if this question is stupid, but I'm confused because this has not been a problem for me until recently.

Message 4/6             10-Aug-01  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: VST, Mac, strange behavior

k

Link?: Link

aye thats true VST's only main weak point, it doesnt do realtime true non-destructive editing.

do the copying in AUDIO POOL window HIGHLIGHT THE WAVE AND DO a copy save - it's very archaic compared to a soft like SAWplus/SAWPro...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/6             10-Aug-01  @  09:47 PM   -   RE: VST, Mac, strange behavior

noah

thanks k. I read the manual again last night and figured it out. RTFM, right? what screwed me up is that VST does automatically make a copy of REX files, and editing them is non destructive. no big deal to duplicate the file in the audio pool, but it really should just do that automatically. ESPECIALLY given one level of undo. hard drive space is probably not such an issue for any computer running CUBASE 5.--noah

Message 6/6             11-Aug-01  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: VST, Mac, strange behavior

k

Link?: Link

agreed - write to your Steinberg MP -  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)