aaa Excuse my ignorance... BUT - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             13-Jun-01  @  03:06 PM   -   Excuse my ignorance... BUT

trodd

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK, so I'm kinda new to the audio scene, but what the FLOP is VST and how do I use it???

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             13-Jun-01  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

k

Link?: Link

er..... oh god.. well VST is the latest incarntion of Cubase audio... Virtual Studio Technology it stands for, and basicaly it is just that, a studio in s/w with a mixer, fx etc and the audio tracks you record pass thru the mixer/fx section if required on their way to record tracks, and then they playback via the mixer/fx etc ... VST creates multiple streams uniquely identified within windows streaming media so that tracks can be split up into different streams such as 'Track_1 bass' etc.. kinda like splitting a 1/4 inch tape into 8 seperate tracks for an 8-track machine.... and those streams can be routed within the s/w to various destination such as subgroups, fx-sends, etc etc...

I call s/w like VST a 'Software Workstation' as opposed to a sequencer cos it has what an old style workstation would have... various instruments, and all the bitz to create a finished piece of music...

other s/w workstations include: Logic Audio & Sonar (for midi & audio record multitracking - and Orion & Reason & Fruity-Loops pro for midi only with audio-part import features, but no ability to actualy use audio tracks like recorder tracks.....

VST protocol being as it is based on windows active movie streaming can and has been importesd to other s/w's as it is so popular for the VST effects & VST Instruments - so Orion & Logic & Fruity-Loop & Sonar can all use VST FX & Instruments, either direct or via a DX-VST 'wrapper' which is a small s/w applet that converts the DX-Media streams to the right type of header to be recognised and routed to VST-Instruments & FX...

Actualy funny this comes up, cos I'm in the process of doing a VST page to add VST into the 'Product-Listings' here @ DT, I didnt do it before cos everyone knows it so well, - Cubase IS listed already in our s/w section (which basicaly covers the midi part of Cubase VST such a drum-maps etc cos they are the same as older Cubase)...

We do have a FULL appraisal of the latest VST (VST5/32) tho, featuring a look at various sections of the new VST in our Dancetech ARTICLES section (selectable again at the top of the site from the SITE selector, just load ARTICLES & search for 'vst') - but i want to add an actual 'Product page' to link all those articles and to get VST actualy into the product listings at long last -

However, i'm waiting to get a cheap 15" screen for the old dancetech Test PC box so I can boot it up again and get some old VST screen shots to show the progression of VST from V3.5 upwards....

I've got the old version installed on that PC and dont want to mess up the new box on which VST32 resides by installing older versions, but i thought it'd be interesting to show the VST series and how it changed over the last 5 years or so since introduction.

I started at v3.5 about 4-5 years ago - called V3.5 cos cubase-audio ended at 3.0-ish - both Cubase-Audio & the first VST were utter crap frankly.... then came 3.6... more crap, but a tad more stable, then came Win 98 with busmastering built in & way better stability than Win95, AND VST_V3.7 at the same time, and then things started to stabilise for the first time... also next came VST24 (24 bit capable) then came VST32_V5 whcih was not an upgrade, you have to pay to go up to that version, but it is a bit more powerful/featured.

Steinberg now sell two VST's - VST24 3.7x which is 24bit vst with a max 24 tracks of audio (I think??) - and VST32/V5 which is 32bit internal fx and more audio tracks, slightly smoother Eq etc, (still 24bit/96k capable of course) - VST32 cost more - Steinberg also do the excellent 'Producer-Pack' featuring VST32 AND wavelab 3.03 all in a package whcih is good.

anyways you can read their site for better acurate info as to the two programme versions' differences - www.steinberg.de

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/6             13-Jun-01  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

goatrance303

2 bucks says he never comes back and reads all that ;)

Message 4/6             14-Jun-01  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

trodd

Actually Mr goatrance303@hotmail.com, I did (you in debt 2 bucks)! This was very helpful. The reason I ask this is I am just about to start learning Reaktor and I noticed it used VST instruments. Does this mean I can download additional components for Reaktor?

Oh, I'm also about to (possibly) get Cakewalk SONAR - is this my best sequencer option or is there a better option ye thinks?

Message 5/6             14-Jun-01  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

k

Reaktor can be a VST-Instrument, meaning it integrates into VSTi compatible sequencer routing it's output direct to the s/w mixer internaly... SONAR?... depends on the audio device you got frankly - it's a tad early for WDM to be properly established. On my test box for example it doesnt fare as well with midiman device as with Hoontech...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/6             16-Jun-01  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Excuse my ignorance... BUT

Jasper

might be an idea to learn just one sequencer first, that's if you want to get anywhere.

there aint a 'better' sequencer as such, they do things in different ways, all usefull though, depends how you want to work. but if you've never done this before you probably don't know how you want to work yet.

so you've got reaktor, you want sonar and vst?

overkill.

just learn reaktor until it start to limit you (which it probably won't), then look for alternatives.

IMO.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)