aaa Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             16-Jul-02  @  05:44 PM   -   Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

blacker

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Decided to stay with Logic for Windows for the time being, and having just sold a bit of gear I have enough cash to upgrade my machine. I'm thinking of going to a P4 2.0 GHz with 512 MB DDR RAM. But I'm a bit confused about all the different memory and motherboard options to be honest. RAMBUS memory - what's that all about? It's about twice the price of DDR RAM, so is it twice as fast or something? :-)

General recommendations on mobos and memory would be welcome - I'm looking at Asus and Gigabyte boards at the moment. The Gigabyte board is about the same spec as far as I can tell, but is cheaper. What's their rep like?

I'd ask the guys at the computer store, but they don't know anything about setting up a DAW. (Sort of how I feel right now...)

Thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             16-Jul-02  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

blacker

BTW - it seems a lot of mobos claim to have "Integrated Audio" which I wouldn't want to touch with a barge-pole. Do manufacturers usually make a version *without* the integrated audio aspect?

Man... I was just getting to grips with the P3 specs. *sigh*

Message 3/7             16-Jul-02  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

k

Link?:  Link

No but you can turn off onboard audio no probs so ignore that.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/7             16-Jul-02  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

99devils

RAMBUS is much faster than standard RAM, but harder to find and much more expensive. It'll make a big difference, but the jury is still out on it. It may be possible that RAMBUS memory disappears at some point.

-Craig

Message 5/7             16-Jul-02  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

blacker

OK - ta very much.

Is RAMBUS something that might not catch on you mean?

Message 6/7             17-Jul-02  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

99devils

It's already not caught on because of price. It's been out since just before the Pentium 4. There is a lot of advantage to it - memory access speed and data transfer speed is certainly becoming a bottleneck. If you check the "Athlon is still fastest" thread, there's a ling to some comparisons. Compare the benchmarks for P4s with RAMBUS vs. P4s with DDR memory - RAMBUS is much faster. But it still remains to be seen what kind of technology is going to become popular to work around this situation. The new nVidia chipset uses two memory busses instead of one, and DDR memory. It isn't as quick as RAMBUS but it's cheaper.

There's a lot of potential solutions. I'd certainly wait a bit before committing to it myself.

-Craig

Message 7/7             17-Jul-02  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Upgrading to P4 - proven chipsets?

blacker

OK - thanks a lot. I think I'll stick with DDR RAM for now. Rambus is too expensive anyway, particularly if it's not going to be supported for sure.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)