aaa Purchasing first producing system - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Purchasing first producing system

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             11-Jan-02  @  03:42 AM   -   Purchasing first producing system

vinceroyer

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am looking to purchase my first producing system. I'm open to Mac's or IBM's. Although I've been on IBM's for awhile, I have used macs before, and I am partial to them. I know many professional studios use macs, and that fact draws my attention greatly. But I live in Canada, and mac's tend to be pretty pricey. I want to put together my own system at a smaller store, but they won't know much about audio production. I need to know:

What kind of power supply I'll need
What kind of fan I need for quiet recording
What kind of sound card should I get (Yamaha 1000XG a good choice?)

I want to make sure the motherboard won't go outdated too fast, and that I will be able to upgrade easily in the future.

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             11-Jan-02  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

influx

Link?: Link

go there "RYO 2001" article

really lays it down for the PC

as far as macs? SIMPLE! buy a powerful G4 with loads of ram and a good soundcard

and spend lots doing it  but you wont have to worry about upgrades because..well..you cant really upgrade a mac, can you? cept add more RAM?

Message 3/7             11-Jan-02  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

dARKSTATe

Heh.. yeah, if you've got the cash, it gets a lot simpler.. if you're going for build your own, though I'm guessing your own *exact* spec AND money are a conisderation.... so Macs are out.. (at least on a price to performance level anyway)..

Marc_D

Message 4/7             11-Jan-02  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

Damn I'm Nice

and dont you forget it

Message 5/7             11-Jan-02  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

k

vinceroyer - you dont say what gear you already have & what you intend to do with this system, what type of tunes you want to produce, or other work, wether you want to gig live etc etc... these are all very important.

Message 6/7             11-Jan-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

knowa

Link?:  Link

true dat. without speaking to the OS wars, IF you're interested in a Mac, you'd be wise to wait until the G5 towers come out in a few months, when prices will tumble on the current models.

Message 7/7             14-Jan-02  @  12:56 AM   -   RE: Purchasing first producing system

dereumetz

i started to built my set recently.The first question you have to ask yourself is : what do i want to do (live, studio), which way do i whant to choose (pc audio mixing or piloting my set with it)?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)