aaa PC problems...ahem. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: PC problems...ahem.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             10-Nov-01  @  09:18 PM   -   PC problems...ahem.

Defector Z

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Okay - so I start up my computer today to do some music stuff, and it pukes. Here's the message and system info. Please help...

While initializing device VKD:
Windows protection error. You need to restart.

An Internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted. Change the STACKS setting in your CONFIG.SYS file, and then try again.

This means gobble-de-gook to me. Here's my system.

I have a homebuilt PC with a Western Dig 9gb ultrawide SCSI HD, ABIT BE6-II mobo, 396 MB/RAM, PIII 650 coppermine, Rage Fury vid card, Aardvark LX-6 soundcard, Adaptec 2940uw SCSI card.

The system has been great to this point. (occasional registry error which I can't figure out). I rarely add and remove software (although I cleared out a couple of video games last week.) I have internet connection and I haven't loaded any software onto this machine in months. It is music only with a occasional video game use.

I can't get into windows, and I can't even get into safe mode. Not sure what to do in the BIOS setup, and I can't make heads or tails from the help on my Startup disk. Don't know how to get to CONFIG.SYS. And I have NO idea what a Windows protection error means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm doing a scandisk and chkdisk now. Not that I expect that to help.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             12-Nov-01  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

k

it's your virtual keyboard device driver - your keyboard is fucked apparently.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q263/3/18.asp

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             12-Nov-01  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

99devils

Do a windows re-install, and it'll probably go away.. Boot to your windows CD and off you go.

-Craig

Message 4/7             12-Nov-01  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

influx

Link?:  Link

but what about the second part of the message about "stacks"

man..I know so little. Sometimes I feel like a teenager who has been given a porche!

Message 5/7             12-Nov-01  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

milan

Link?:  Link

i can picture a whole room full of Microsoft engineers going "what the fuck is that?"  

Message 6/7             13-Nov-01  @  01:18 AM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

Defector Z

Bitchin' - cheers k.

Still hoping someone has a brilliant idea about the "stacks" thing.

I did some cleanup with Norton and found a BUNCH of problems. Cleaned 'em up - we'll see how it goes. If it's only the keyboard, I'll be thrilled...

Message 7/7             29-Nov-01  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: PC problems...ahem.

dambra

Link?:  No link

I don't know if it's the same problem as I had cos I didn't get the stacks message but the only time I've ever had a 'windows protection error' was when my IDE cables had snagged my CPU fan and it was overheating.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)