aaa My pc dislikes win2k - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: My pc dislikes win2k

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             30-Nov-01  @  03:00 PM   -   My pc dislikes win2k

jon k.

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok...
I installed win2k on my celeron 450, abit bh6, riva tnt and midiman audiophile. Stability just sucks!!

I have to use the older midiman drivers at 8 > ms latency, or else sonar just hangs when opening projects with plugin's, etc.

Doesen't matter what plugins, but i espescially dislikes softsynth's, it seems. And i need the wdm drivers for sonar, so downgrading is out of the question..

Now, before i did things mostly in midi, but i'm moving on to audio now. SP2 helped stability abit, but not near enough.. I have all the newest drivers, and i do know my pc's, but i'm falling short here. Any suggestions?

Think i'll probably have get a new mobo soon anyways, but i ing have to finish that christmas EP!!

(new mobo? nforce/xp 1800+/512meg/audiophile sounds SWEET to me;))

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             30-Nov-01  @  04:52 PM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

Win2K is a bit of a system resource hog on a machine of that spec.. not the sole source of your problems but it can't be helping (something like Win98SE - flaky as it is, would prolly run your stuff smoother if you're moving into the audio area)

Whaddya need to get an nForce based board for?? The onboard GeForced based GFX? The onboard 5.1 audio?? Bit surplus to requirements if its an Audio production PC... (sez he who forked out for a GeForce2 TI.. heheheh!!)

Nah.. get yerself a nice "proven" board mate... I'm puttin' my hat in the arena with an EPoX 8KHA+ (VIA226"A") based board - runs SWEET, is cheap and fast as fuck!! (AthlonXP, DDRRam, ATA100 ready.. though I've got a TBird 1.4 in it at the mo')

Marc_D

Message 3/7             03-Dec-01  @  03:33 AM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

GT

stability? what does it do, lock up/freeze? (been thru dat, it's em drivers and you must take out ACPI and make it a "Standard PC"

more later if needed

Message 4/7             03-Dec-01  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

k

wasn't there something about using a certain gforce drivers also in that same recent thread?

Message 5/7             03-Dec-01  @  03:54 PM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

jon k.

Yeah, i have acpi enabeled, i do get freezes. So how do i do this standard pc thing, then? I reckon a complete reinstall? seems like the newest drivers from midiman helped abit, but sonar crashes quite often still...

The reason for nforce would be the price/performance issue. via + graphics card ++ is more expensive.
(But it looks like it will be awhile before i can buy anything, as i got a 600 $ fine for an incident at the us-embassy while being totally pissed this weekend. ;) BinLaden influenses economy everywhere, i guess..lol.)

Message 6/7             03-Dec-01  @  04:17 PM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

bedwyr

Link?: Link

this came up on an xp thread the other week, go to device manager and click on 'computer' then get rid of 'acpi computer'. check the other thread for a proper step by step if you get stuck.

btw dunno if this applies to 2000, and i hate midiman ;(

Message 7/7             04-Dec-01  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: My pc dislikes win2k

GT

canx' ACPI is good for Win2k.

But, you might have to change some PCI card around to avoid IRQ's hassles since ACPI is a software IRQ steering mechanism to allow for "easier" install (for regular users, not slot intensive users).

Disable serial ports if not needed and USB when/if (in BIOS) not needed which saves CPU cycles.

There's not much you can do if the driver is causing lock ups. Finally we have a stable 1.4/WIN2k/Wave Center PCI install. After several OS switchings and lock-ups at variable intervals, it was in fact, all driver related as it was disclosed in the next release's readme.txt file(!)

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)