aaa over my head... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: over my head...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             20-Sep-01  @  06:39 AM   -   over my head...

Echolalia

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello all...
New to the forum here and to PC-based sequencing/recording in general. Up to this point, I've done ALL my work outboard. Just got a new PC to make the transition and I don't even know where to begin -- figure I must start w/ a soundcard which leads me here:

I've scanned posts here and elsewhere, surfed the major brands, but still unsure what to look for. I realize I'm leaving out all pertinent info -- what would one need to know to help pick out a card to suit my needs? Anyone w/ a soft place in their heart for newbies, please chime in...

;)
st

check out the tunes @ http://www.mp3.com/echolalia -- just so you know I'm not a complete l0z3r !!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             24-Sep-01  @  06:46 PM   -   RE: over my head...

k

well, what's your setup including any mixer?... that's the info we need.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             25-Sep-01  @  08:41 AM     Edit: 25-Sep-01  |  08:42 AM   -   RE: over my head...

Echolalia

750 mhz AMD

40 gig HD

256 RAM

Mackie 24/4

... got a MIDIMAN midisport 2x2

... also have an MPC2000xl, fully expanded, that I'd like to integrate...

k, thanks much for replying...

;)
st

Message 4/7             26-Sep-01  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: over my head...

influx

Link?:  Link

do you need to multitrack? are you gonna mix digital audio on your mixer? in your sequncer? or just go straight midi to stereo?

personally, I have an m-audio delta66 and have had NO problems with it. You could get the 44 if you dont want spdif IO.

youve come along at a good time. plenty of cards sub $300 that will get you some nice results

Message 5/7             26-Sep-01  @  01:23 PM   -   RE: over my head...

k

yeah, you've got a 4 subgroup mixer so best bet would be to get a card with at least 4 inputs, then wire the 4 subgroups to the 4 card IN's on a loom so that at anytime you can route your outboard thru to the s/w sequencer mixer to monitor & record outboard audio mix down to a file/files for making your final master... outputs?... well if it has 4 IN's it'll prolly have 4 outs... you can route vsti's and other plugin synths & drums & audio tracks with loops or whatever on them OUT to the outboard mix via the 4 out's...

so delta44 or 66 as mentioned - hoontech dsp24/96 with adcdac2000 rack (yes it's 8in x 8out, but is well priced), marian MARC card... etc

I'd say to use cubase cos it is easier to setup than Logic, but Logic Silver is a good programme and will work ok with a delta card & it's EASI drivers & will sync the mpc if you want to keep running mpc sequences in sync.

alternatively there is ORION Pro which'll be fine, it has synths, drums & sampler & fx included also, & runs VSTi's and will also sync the mpc and now has audio tracks, (not to record to, but to import audio & playback from.) - so if you want audio record tracks, use vst or Logic mebbe -

If you like the mpc to sequence tho there is no reason why you cant run just a vsti & audio playback from the pc in sync with the mpc and leave all the midi sequencing to the mpc.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/7             28-Sep-01  @  11:56 PM   -   thanks for replies

Echolalia

k, influx, thanks again...

one more question for you:
any good websites to buy pc audio gear, specifically m-audio cards? i'm stateside, FYI...

;)
st

Message 7/7             02-Oct-01  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: over my head...

influx

Link?:  Link

just hit me up. nflux1@aol.com

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)