aaa Sonar bug list - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sonar bug list

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             01-Jul-01  @  08:49 PM   -   Sonar bug list

Timo.Kiviniemi

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Since it's obvious that guys at Cakewalk have noticed Dancetech. Howbout if we make a list of those bugs we've noticed in Sonar and mail that list to Cakewalk singed as Dancetech Users. Maybe they would pay more attention to those bugs and we would recieve even better program more faster.

So, here are some bugs I've noticed.

1. If you copy some midi clips, editing velocity values of those clips sometimes cause that Sonar mysteriously copies and pastes those clips again over allready existing clips (known as incomprehensible bug  

2. If you have Sound Forge 4.5 and 5.0 installed on same computer and use them both use of Tools/Sound Forge results that Sonar opens the (at least I think) version that's been used most recently. You can't know which version of Sound Forge Sonar tries to use.

3. If you cut a audiopart and then open the edited version into Sound Forge the file that opens is the not-edited one allthough the part after editing in Sonar is highlighted.
Exaple. I've recorded some audioparts and after recording I've deleted the useless silent parts in the beginning of those audioclips but after opening them in Sound Forge the part still has those parts I deleted in Sonar. That can go round by using Bounce to Clips into the single Clip - though.

4. The bolls in arrange view that shows that there's still something coming up on this track dissapears all the time.

There's some bugs I've noticed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             01-Jul-01  @  09:09 PM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

k

i think 3 is down to sonars non distructive editing and infinate undo feature tho. those deleted parts wuold only really be deleted from disk if you used the scrub & clean audio disk features.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             01-Jul-01  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

Brett B

Link?:  Link

clear the undo

Message 4/7             02-Jul-01  @  07:10 AM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

psylichon

OK... here's a couple.

1. Even though Cakewalk says that the updates to Sonar got rid of this bug, I still have it with 9.02. When moving, copying, cutting, or editing the duration of a note in piano-roll view, more often than not the note disappears. The ONLY way around this is to select the note, and Edit-Slide it the appropriate value (ex. at 960 ppq, if I wanted to move it back in time a 32nd note, I'd slide it +120 ticks). Annoying as shit.

2. Not a bug, but seriously limiting is the fact that 32nd-notes are the smallest value for snap-to and quantizing. Come on! What's the point of a higher PPQ in Sonar if we can't work easily on such small scales? A lot of us use 64th notes and even higher for special effects. We need that resolution in our quantizing. And for god's sake let us zoom in deeper than a whole measure of time in the piano roll!

3. This one's definitely a bug. I record a passage of music starting, say, measure 2 and ending at measure 6. I then select this four-bar MIDI clip (by clicking on it) and quantize it to any particular value... strength 100%, swing 50%, window 100%...tight quantization...but no matter how close my first note is to bar 2, if it is at all before the downbeat it doesn't get quantized. So then if I copy and paste this clip repeatedly (with a move-by grid value of 1 measure) and later select a few bars of it using the timeline (for example, selecting measure 6 to 10... the next four-bar phrase) and move them by measure, the first note will not be in my selection and will not get moved. Is this making sense? When I make my selection for quantizing, I'm clicking on the clip, thereby selecting the whole clip. Should not the whole clip get quantized?

4. Another not-a-bug, but while I'm at it... Why is there no automation on the AudioX console. I know that only DSP Factory owners actually get to use AudioX (has ANYone else made an AudioX driver for their hardware?... talk about a dead language), but I love it! It gives routing options that are absent in Sonar's console (i.e. external aux loops and bussing), but I miss being able to automate sends and such (the DSP Factory reverb is really quite good and highly configurable...). And the drop down menus for bussing on each channel are REALLY annoying (We need some sort of grid matrix). And can we rename the channels... please????

5. DXi doesn't always work for me. I do everything necessary to set up a DXi instrument, but it won't play. Sometimes if I drop into record and play a little, it'll come to life, and I can then stop and play it fine. But it may stop later for no apparent reason.

6. It's really kind of annoying that, when I have a plugin window in the foreground, I can't just hit the spacebar to start and stop playback anymore (Cake 9 was so). I guess the new floating windows are the reason for this. Is there a workaround? It's a pain in the ass to have to use the mouse to click the main Sonar windows, hit the spacebar, and then click the plugin window to do your tweaking. It was much nicer in Cake 9 when you could just hit the spacebar anytime in any window to start and stop playback. Give that back, please....

7. I get weird graphics bugs sometimes. Like Sonar will be maximized on the display, but will show a "maximize" icon in the resizing tools in the upper righthand corner. When this happens, when I switch to another concurrently-running program, sometime the screen won't switch (i.e. the menu bar will say "Sound Forge" for example, but I still see the Sonar screen under it). Sometimes I can't switch back to Sonar if I do manage to Alt-Tab into another program. I have to minimize all other running programs to see the Sonar screen. Sometime Sonar won't minimize. Sometimes it does but won't maximize again. Suffice to say it's kinda fucked up. Oh yeah, I have an ATI All-In-Wonder card (Rage Pro chipset).... a pretty common chipset... what's the deal?

8. I love how consistent Sonar's interface is (Cake 9'ers, remember drawing volume envelopes that don't actually move the console fader? Remember when the MIDI velocity setting affected overall volume for an audio track? What was 0 dB? It was impossible to achieve a good gain stucture... hell, when you threw in the AudioX console, there were like 6 places to change the volume of a track, 2 of the automateable, but none of them interconnected... thank GOD they fixed that one). Sometimes, however, I'll arm something in the console for automation and record, say, a quick swell in the send level of an aux send. If I then show all envelopes in the arrange window, there is no envelope for the automation data I just created. In order to achieve consistency between the envelopes and the automation data, I have to start by drawing envelopes.

Can anyone else verify these bugs? They aren't one-time occurances, and if other people aren't experiencing them, I want to know why I am.

Okay, enough ranting for now. I still love Sonar thoroughly. Even when it crashes, it reboots so fast that you really don't lose time (you just need to develop a twitchy Ctrl-S stab). It saves me and my clients time every single session. People are amazed at how fast they can get projects done at my place now. And the level of professionalism shows. I'm even amazed a bit myself. Have you used Sonar to master a whole album yet? It's the shit!

peace...

psylichon

Message 5/7             02-Jul-01  @  01:02 PM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

Formant

most of my bugs aren't related to sonar.

my midi problems dissapeared in patch 2...

ok

1) renisance compressor hangs sonar after looping a 16 bar sequence enough times and you have to shut cake down. all of the pitch shift/change/messup waves plugins hang it as well.

2) my latency sucks (suck motherboard + no wdm)

3) if you have a song all tracked out and have lets say a kick drum groovelooped out for 8 minutes and then try to change the pitch of it etc sonar will HARDCORE crash on my box. i am talking a hard reboot.

4) it still doesn't write tracks for me. i hope they fix this soon. its a bit annoying.

jamey

Message 6/7             02-Jul-01  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

Timo.Kiviniemi

5. Sonar sometimes crashes when converting old format in to new one.

back to that 3rd bug.
Don't you think it's ridicilous if I record 4 minutes audio (let's say I'm recording some guitar riffs) and then choose about 10 second part from the recording and delete the rest but when opening the 10 sec part in SF all the 4 minutes comes up. I know the deleted parts are still in the audiofolder but CWPA realized to give a different file name to the new part so only that one opens in SF. Howcome Sonar can't do that?

Also why drawing velocities works reaaaaally much slower in Sonar than in CWPA? Is this cause Sonar loads grooveclips to system RAM? Also Bounce to Clips works much slower.

Then...

Audioview would kick ass. I've used to use zoom in - zoom out by now but still audioview rocked when editing short clips.

6. When I'm dragging a loop I see the frames of that clip I'm dragging but when I edit some clip with really low zoom rates the frames dissapear and I have to guess where to that clip is moving. This is annoying.

7. In CWPAs audioview I could with right mouse click add those reverse/3db louder/fade/volume commands to audioclips. This is now have to be done thru Edit/Audio/... Really timeconsuming.

Message 7/7             03-Jul-01  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Sonar bug list

sitar

Link?:  Link

I'm gonna have to think about this and post a couple.

Psylicon, my midi notes in piano roll view stopped doing that after the update. ???

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)