aaa Switching from Cubase, worth it? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             24-May-01  @  04:40 PM   -   Switching from Cubase, worth it?

Chrislmiller

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm trying out Logic for the first time, wanted to see if the timing is better than Cubase. Whenever i have audio and midi running in Cubase the midi slides out of time after 8 bars and will not stay in time. I have had many problems with Cubase and i'm writing this to see how you Logic users feel the timing is in Logic. Do you feel the switch will be worth while and rewarding? Also i only have ver. 4.4 right now, is 4.7 majorly different or not so much. Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated.
Chris...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             25-May-01  @  02:21 AM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

k

Link?: Link

well if you got those prob's with vst then it sounds like you have pc probs to begin with... whats the pc setup out of interest?, and yes 4.7 is diffrent to 4.x

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             25-May-01  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

Milan

Link?:  Link

if you work with midi a lot, iŽd pick logic over cubase any day, the things you can do with enviroments are endless! it takes time to figure out initially, but once you got it you wont look back.
and in logic you can specify which midi data gets sent out first by moving the tracks to the top of the page, so if you want tight drums you just move them to the top of the list and leave the filter sweeps and other stuff with loads of control changes at the bottom. i think this is a really cool feature!

Message 4/7             26-May-01  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

CK aka PENBOA

If the timing is bad with VST it may well be just as bad with Logic. I would suggest that the timing problem is almost certainly a hardware/drivers problem rather than a software problem. As regards data priority both VST and Logic used to give priority to the top track and presumably still do, but does anyone seriously believe that this makes any difference on a 400MHz PC! Notes are always given priority over other midi information, so timing is down to your hardware.

As regards VST versus Logic, overall there isn't much to choose between them, but the VSTi implementation on Logic is still not fully VSTi compliant, although it is much better in 4.7 than 4.5.

Message 5/7             30-May-01  @  08:26 PM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

BassProShop

I'd recently heard that trying to figure out which one is better is like picking between Ricardo Montalban and Fernando Lamas.

You do wanna make sure your soundcard will get along with Logic.

Message 6/7             30-May-01  @  08:37 PM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

Brett B

under system you have to make sure you have the priority to zero. If set to high it gives a higher priority to audio and the midi slips, if low audio slips and midi is tighter. so set it to normal if running audio and midi to make sure they stay in sync.

Message 7/7             31-May-01  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: Switching from Cubase, worth it?

k

actualy, if the asio drivers are well written, there's fuck-all in it now, Logic works great with asio with say the hoontech, not quite so well with the audiophile (midiman), but then that has easi :-) - personaly what with the new Emagic/mackie control interface, AND the massive amopunt of free included QUALITY s/w synths, the new logic5 is gonna wipe the floor with VST, especialy as it works with protools... have you tried the new logic synth, the 88 note electric piano?... fucking awesome!!, as is the sampler & es1... thats what i'm waiting for, Logic5... i'm having it for sure...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)