aaa Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             06-Nov-02  @  05:26 AM   -   Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

Scott

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Let's say I have a hardware MIDI sequencer (grin) sending MIDI notes to EXS24. Can EXS24 receive on multiple MIDI channels at once, so that I can use it as a standalone sampler (ROMpler)?

Thanks,

Scott

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             06-Nov-02  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

Scott

Forgot to mention that I'm running Logic 4.8 (latest rev) on a PC with an M-Audio Delta 1010...

Thanks,

Scott

Message 3/8             08-Nov-02  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

milan

Link?: Link

no, not really. first, EXS cannot function as a standalone app, and second i dont think it can receive at multiple channels at once. youŽd pretty much have to run logic and one EXS for each channel you wanna address. the good thing though is that exs doesnt add much CPU load after you activate the first one.

Message 4/8             19-Nov-02  @  05:17 AM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

Scott

thx milan. i suppose i could MIDI slave Logic to my outboard / hardware sequencers if need be, and use Logic just for EXS24 and DAW recording.

Scott

Message 5/8             19-Nov-02  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

psylichon

I don't know shit about logic, but I would think you could set up some live tracks to run your EXS sounds without needing to actually sequence anything on the software side of things.

You know, set up 16 tracks, each receiving on a different MIDI channel, and then route the outputs of those tracks to 16 instances of the EXS. Run a port from your hardware sequencer to Logic and Boom... multitimbrality.

Am I right here, Logic geeks?

psylichon

Message 6/8             19-Nov-02  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

bedwyr

yeah, just set it up in the environment so you filter the midi channels to seperate audio instruments 1 - 16, with a seperate exs in each.

Message 7/8             19-Nov-02  @  08:46 PM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

toast

You're going to have some messed up latency if you try to have multiple audio instruments being triggered live on multiple midi channels. With each successive instrument the latency is going to get worse. I haven't tried it recently so they may of fixed a thing or two in 5.3 but with 4.8 it wont work right. If you want to use the exs live on multiple midi channels w/ multiple instances you're going to have to cough up the dough for emagic's evil and somewhat useless exsp24. That one you can run as a vsti in a standalone host but you'll still have to edit and create instruments in logic. Anyways it sucks but...

Message 8/8             19-Nov-02  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: Logic/EXS24 as a standalone sampler

Scott

yeah it does suck. i paid $240 for a software that i can't use if i abandoned logic, which is a loss of around $550. now what if i had dropped silly money on VST effects and plugs like everyone else? that sh!t would seriously suck...

i hope this helps to clarify my view that hardware is really the best way to go, in the long run. cause you can keep using it, no matter what O.S. or new microprocessors come along.  

Scott

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)