aaa Muting tracks on the fly - how - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Muting tracks on the fly - how

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             10-Mar-01  @  03:51 PM   -   Muting tracks on the fly - how

k

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

ok - here's what you want to mute & unmute individual or clusters of tracks on playback LIVE or studio.....

open your song arrange/track etc and go to EDIT/PREFERENCES - KEY COMMANDS... this defaults to show the: 'Transport & Locators' tab sub-menu - that's the one you want... you'll see there you have key commands for start, stop record locators etc...

scroll down and see there is .... mute-record/mute & recall/mute 1-9 & programme-locators/recall-locators 1-9

ok... choose: RECORD-MUTE_1 - and set it to say KEY1 (above Q) -

then assign the RECALL-MUTE_1 to CTRL+key1 - ok... now hit APPLY and ok and close that panel...

if you now go to the arrange page - and HOLD DOWN 'KEY1' (record-mute_1) - then whilst holding down the key, mute the tracks you want muted - audio or midi tracks.... whilst the key is held down, any mutes you switch ON will be assigned to the associated RECALL_1 key (in this case CTRL+1) ...

ok... release key1 and you have set your mutes for key1.... NOW, click CTRL+1.. hey presto GROUP MUTING!!

turning the mutes off?... well you can either assign a key to un-mute all tracks, like say re-enter the KEY COMMANDS menu - then choose RECORD_MUTE-9 - assign it to key9, then assign RECALL_MUTE-9 to CTRL+9... now go to the arrange page, un-mute EVERYTHING and hit key9 which'll grab a SNAPSHOT for that key of the arrange page with NO mutes active...

now this has assigned 'ALL TRACKS UN-MUTED' as the recall for CTRL+9... so hitting CTRL+9 will at anytime UN-mute everything -

so of couirse you can use keys between your first setup-mute (key1, CTRL+1), and full UN-mute (key9, CTRL+9) - the remaining 8 available slots in-between to programme any alternative mutings.... so you can choose while playback to go from any of the mute arrangement switches to full UN-MUTE, or switch from one mute setup to the next by just selecting the next desired mute setup...

sorted!! - if you use the key commands tick boxes for keyboard remote, you can also assign keyboard keys to do this wit the REMOTE ACTIVE, and REMOTE KEY - (just make sure the key/s you choose if any are WAY up the keyboard range where you DON'T play any notes !!!.. or you might be into a blistering keyboard solo live and suddenly mute some tracks  

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             14-Mar-01  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

fink

thanks k, sorry i forgot you moved the thread. i'll try this out.

Message 3/8             27-Mar-01  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

chrismiller2001

Hey K

Message 4/8             27-Mar-01  @  01:10 AM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

chrismiller2001

ok let me try this again

Wanted to up the anti a little on this topic.
I wanted to know if there is a way to have these programmed on the fly mutes recorded in the mixer's arrangement?
-
Also a side but more important topic-
Whenever i use the mute's on audio tracks i get a big CLICK in the audio when muting and unmuting. I am trying to carve out the song from loops that i mute and unmute and this is ruining the final mix. Have you figured a way around this, the clicks at all?

Message 5/8             27-Mar-01  @  03:54 AM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

k

Link?: Link

i never tried it on audio tracks - i dont use audio-tracks live and when mixing in the studio i use other means to mute in the arrangement - you could try a noise gate on the track mebbe?.. but it could be the soundcard ...you'd better experiment

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             27-Mar-01  @  05:14 AM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

chrismiller2001

I have a feeling you might be right about the sound card being the problem. I will have to experiment. It's a Lexicon Core 2 and i must say i have had nothing but problems.
-
Anyway i am still trying to figure out how the best way for me to put all my samples and what not together. Hoping you might want to tell me what your methods for arrangeing/Muting in the studio.
do you just Mute through an outboard mixer?

Message 7/8             27-Mar-01  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

deetee_sounds

Link?: Link

no i arrange the parts in the music arrange page so they drop-out at the right places etc. - but also use the mixer to work out natural dub in/out sequences, mix & match

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             17-Jan-02  @  04:54 PM     Edit: 17-Jan-02  |  04:55 PM   -   RE: Muting tracks on the fly - how

k

Link?:  Link

bump - select VIEW ALL MESSAGES to see the whole thread.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)