aaa Im Green..please help with setup - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Im Green..please help with setup

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             04-Jan-02  @  04:21 AM   -   Im Green..please help with setup

DJKB

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey folks...Ive been trying to get a clear answer on this, and I stumbled across this forum, and thought I might try it. What I have is the Traktor DJ Studio version, and I want to use this to fire music mixes in realtime onto the net.
Here is my computer setup:
Soundcard 1: soundblaster PCI 16
Soundcard 2: Soundblaster Audigy MP3
Altec Lansing speakers and sub.

My problem is that Im currently transmitting using a standard pc microphone as the recording device. Ive got the first soundcard playing the sound to the monitor (headphones) and the 2nd soundcard playing to the speakers (and thus through the mic to transmit).

Im picking up really really nasty feedback and background noise, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in getting a better setup for this arrangement. I dont mind going out and spending a bit of dough to get more equipment if necessary, but Im really useless with audio hookups, and could use some assistance.
Much Appreciated!!!

email is blazey93@yahoo.ca

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             04-Jan-02  @  09:32 AM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

bedwyr

why are you recording through a mic? where's the mic going in to? can't you transmit straight from the audigy? don't do it myself, someone's go to though.

Message 3/8             04-Jan-02  @  02:39 PM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

DJKB

Im recording through the mic, because Im unsure of any other way to do it. The mic is a standard pc mic thats hooks up to a USB port. Basically the deal is you hold down a hotkey on the website and that allows you to transmit via the mic. If there is a better way (to eliminate background noise) thats what Im looking for. The Audigy card has the following:
Line Out/Rear Out for front/rear speakers
Line Out to Headphones
Mic In (not a usb port)
Line In (for something like receiver or tape deck)
Analog/Digital Out - sub and centre speakers or digital output
Joystick/MIDI bracket
I hope this helps a bit more.
thanks again for helping.

Message 4/8             04-Jan-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

k

Link?:  No link

no... dont do that... just set it up so that the mic AND the mix output via the same card (the headphoines) for monitoring, and send that feed to the transmitting site. The feed to the site goes out via your modem, so you may have mis-understood the site info which probably was simply saying that you CAN send a mic signal live for realtime DJ chatting.

what's the site... 365live?

Message 5/8             04-Jan-02  @  11:30 PM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

DJKB

Im a little confused now....
set it so that the mic and the mix output through the same soundcard? So what do I put where?
The idea of using 2 soundcards is so that both the monitor (headphones) and the speaker output are both in stereo..instead of using some splitter on the one soundcard, and hearing both channels in mono only.
Right now, Ive got the speakers plugged into one souncard, and the headphones plugged into the other soundcard. Both are in stereo and the crossfader moves between the headphones and the speaker output. The speaker output is then captured by the stand-alone mic and transmitted to the site.
What am I missing here?

thanks again.

Message 6/8             05-Jan-02  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

influx

Link?:  Link

damn. why not just get a small mixing board and feed off that? crikey!

Message 7/8             05-Jan-02  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

K

Link?:  No link

Never mind all that... first tell me what is the site you want to broadcast thru.... the point is, that how things are setup YOUR end is irrelevent mostly to the delivery of the data to the broadcast site... you aren't sending data to the broadcast site via your soundcard, the soundcard & how you monitor & is not part of the broadcast equation.... all the soundcard is performing in this scenario is encoding your mix into digital data to get it into the pc, the soundcard output is being used SOLEY to monitor.

all the data you want to broadcast will stream OUT of your pc via the modem... all you need to do is get the audio IN to the pc and summed to the modem for transmission... how you choose to monitor that audio is irrelevent cos that just for YOu to listen to at home.

you DONT want to transmit this broadcast via a mic' recording off a pair of speakers, that'll sound crap. what you want to do is send the digital data (audio) direct down the modem - after you've got the mic (vocals if required) and the decks mix into the pc it already IS in digital domain, what you are doing is simply sending it OUT to your speakers converting it back to analog, then recording it from a mic back to digital and sending that... why bother encoding it twice? especialy if the second encode from speakers to mic is going to sound aweful.

so?.... what site r u broadcasting from?

Message 8/8             06-Jan-02  @  02:09 AM   -   RE: Im Green..please help with setup

influx

Link?:  Link

feckin influx. complicating things yet again

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)