aaa Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             04-Sep-01  @  05:15 PM   -   Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

Podge

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

You probably get asked this all the time............

I've been experimenting with Cakewalk Sonar & Samplitude 2496 for the last couple of months with great results. I'm using a CMedia card (which is ok). I'm thinking of spending a bit of money on a decent soundcard but its impossible to know what to buy. I've looked at Hoontech, Layla, Delta and a few other I can't remember.

What I want to record is mainly audio but I would like to have support for midi also. I need to be able to record between 4 and 8 audio tracks together preferably from good mics via balanced xlr type leads. I don't have a mixing desk and would prefer not to have to buy one. Is there a sound card available that I could plug mics into directly?

I have a budget of about $1000 or more.
Comp. Specs are
192 MB RAM
550MHZ PIII
Windows 2000 Server

Any recomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated from the pros here. Thanks in advance.

Padraic.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             04-Sep-01  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

influx

Link?:  Link

dont know of any that have 4 or 8 XLR ins. but I dont know ALL cards either

why do you need to record them all at once? Why not just one track at a time?

hmmm...youre on the right path by looking at who youre looking at. Try MOTU as well. The 2408?

Message 3/8             04-Sep-01  @  10:25 PM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

Podge foto

Thanks for your reply.

I could do them one at a time, ideally though the best solution would be to record multiple audio tracks together. At a crunch my only criteria would be low noise and be able to connect at least 2 mics directly to the soundcard (without a desk).

Came accross this since http://www.hoontech.co.uk/products/system3/index.html

Looks nice but its a good bit over my budget. It says 8 balanced inputs but I can only see four.

I might go for the cheaper option - http://www.hoontech.co.uk/products/dsp2000/index.html

Message 4/8             05-Sep-01  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

milan

how about Digi001? 8 ins with phantom power on first two. only 2 XLR´s but the rest are also balanced.

Message 5/8             05-Sep-01  @  12:36 AM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

influx

you know..Im almost positive that the MOTU 2408 has 8 XLR ins now that I think about it.

Message 6/8             05-Sep-01  @  12:37 AM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

influx

nope. went and looked. 1/4"

how bout a good mic pre with say 4 channels, then go to your card? I dont think its gonna sound very good going direct, anyway.

Message 7/8             05-Sep-01  @  12:59 AM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

foto

Thanks Influx and Milan for the info, I really appreciate it.

I looked at the Digi001 couldn't see any XLR's. Too expensive anyway.

The Motu 2408 looks very nice, apart from the lack of software support for Windows but I can get around it I'm sure.

What are 1/4" TRS connectors ? I suppose as long as they're balanced they have low noise on the cables? I'd just have to buy new leads. Cheaper than the Hoontech too.

Anyone know where I could find reviews / comparisons for the two, Motu 2408 & Hoontech (ST Audio) DSP24 System III ? I'll try searching the web but views from people with these systems would also be appreciated.

Congrats on the website, I've lurked here for quite a while, lots of great info.

Message 8/8             05-Sep-01  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: Soundcard with Balanced XLR inputs?

influx

I only know one person who can afford a 2408mkii .Uses it with cubase, acid, vegas. liked it enough to buy two

and yeah. TRS are balanced just like your XLRs

the motu is cheaper than the hoontech. I know of know comparisons but I dont pay attention theyre both well beyond what I need or would pay for yet in an audio interface...

Ill keep my eye out for info!

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)