aaa outboard mixer+ soundcard - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: outboard mixer+ soundcard

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             03-Mar-01  @  01:29 PM   -   outboard mixer+ soundcard

jun

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hello all
I have been using a fostex vc8 adat coverter into my pulsar2 soundcard. I have been doing all my mixing within the pulsar environment. What I want to know is if there is any advantage in buying an outboard digital or analogue mixer. I was looking at the yamaha 01v and can almost aford it(second hand). I mean if I record directly through the fostex vc8(I am dubious of its quality) then I would then rout the sound out of the computer with the2 adat outs on the soundcard into the mixer and then probably put the signal back into the computer to record the mix to hard disk. This doesnt make sense to me. I would love to know how other people mix with soundcards. I have a lot of outboard gear at the moment and usually record each track separately after I have arranged it in cubase, then comes the mixing stage. This is the part of the recording process that I am curious about.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             13-Mar-01  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

Fqyg

Yeah I'm curious too so someone please answer

Message 3/8             01-Apr-01  @  04:12 AM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

loFreq

Some of the advantages I could see would be hands on control and EQ/FX/etc for each channel out of your PC. A digital mixer may also allow you to use the faders and other controls to control your software via MIDI. And if you use external gear as well, its quite nice for patching everything in for mixdown.

Message 4/8             03-Apr-01  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

BJT

If you buy a mixer then you could save money buy buying a good audio card (with a low sound floor) and with only two Analog in's (L & R), instead of forking out for the similar thing
with 8 ins or something.

I know I'm working on this angle - I have a analog mixer 'cause I have
synth's etc... and love being able to walk up and turn stuff on and not have
to boot a computer, load stuff up etc...

Message 5/8             03-Apr-01  @  03:26 PM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

Defector Z

Link?: Link

I've had some success matching the subbusses from my mixer to the 4 analog ins on my soundcard. This way, I can assign all sounds from my mixer into a stereo track on the computer, so I can listen to a song I'm working on in other environments, and I can record 4 tracks at a time for mixdown. Works pretty good.

Message 6/8             03-Apr-01  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

99devils

Well, there are definate advantages to working with an 01V plus computer setup. If you work with hardware, you have to record things to work with more than 8 channels, and it becomes harder to get a good mix, since you are effectively committing a part to disk without hearing how it sounds with the rest of the track. You can much more immediately get a mix. With something like an 01V and an ADAT card, you could do your mix on the 01V and simply select tracks off the board to send to the PC. The 01V can also function as a control surface, so you could mix inside the PC, but have a physical control surface to work with instead of the pointy-click. If you have outboard gear you'd like to patch in for mixdown, this becomes tedious.. And you could run out of channels with only 8 ins. 01Vs have dedicated dynamics processing and 4-band EQ on 16 of the 24 channels, so that can also take a lot of strain off of your PC, if you don't have to do your compression and EQ in software. Ditto with effects.. The 01V has 2 decent FX processors built in. Plus it can be automated from your sequencer, so you can mix down internal and outboard sounds all at the same time, all fully automatable.

If you work mostly in software though, I don't think there would be a whole heck of a lot of an advantage.

-Craig

Message 7/8             03-Apr-01  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

gb

Link?:  Link

I have a couple of 01vs with the adat option card going into a RME Hammerfall in a PIII 800. This is an excellent solution for harddisk recording. I've tried recording five stereo tracks at a time - no problem. It's probably possible to record much more at a time.
Also, you don't need a computer to use a digital mixer - it works pretty much the same way as an analog mixer with parametric eq hooked up to a bunch of dynamic processors and effect boxes.
There's a lot more to be said about the 01v (and adat). Ask, and somebody will probably answer.

Message 8/8             04-Apr-01  @  05:46 PM   -   RE: outboard mixer+ soundcard

99devils

Yeah, the 01V is the bomb. I got my DSP Factory yesterday! Once I get the ADAT card for the 01V life will be sweet  

-Craig

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)