aaa Compression creates CLICKS= - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Compression creates CLICKS=

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             28-Mar-01  @  12:50 AM   -   Compression creates CLICKS=

chrismiller2001

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Writing some automation, muting and unmuting the kick, fairly normal procedure i would assume and ckr crack kckl. Every time i mute and unmute the track i'm getting huge crackles. Could not figure it out till i noticed it was the tracks with compression on them. Tried this in Cubase 5 and 3.7R1. Was hoping someone could try and compress a track in one of the newer Cubase releases and tell me if the have the same prob or if they fixed it, or if i'm just nuts>>> Please help it's fucking taxing!!! Should only take a minute or two to try out. If it does work, no Crackles, tell me what ver. to get.
Cheers
CM

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             28-Mar-01  @  02:37 AM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

brad

Link?: Link

sounds like you might not have enuff system resources to run your automation, plug-ins, etc. Happens to me all the time, but only when I run too much shit, like run 4 different reverbs, reBirth, automation, 10 other plug-ins  

If the crackles are loud as shit and sound kinda like digital distortion, then that would be it. Go to Audio/Performance and see if the meters are going into the red (the CPU meter esp.)

Besides upgrading CPU and/or memory there are plenty of system tweaks you can do to streamline your system. There is one site in particular that has a bunch of them- I think it's the one I put up top there, I hope. Also ctrl-alt-delete and end task on findfast, antivirus software, etc. Basically everything except systray and explorer and the stuff you really need.

Perhaps you could compress the offending tracks in a stand-alone editor and import them back into cubase...good luck.

Mr.Wet

Message 3/8             28-Mar-01  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

chrismiller2001

Not the audio performance, Cpu is up 1/4 at peak and Disk is higher going to half at peak but no overloads. I'm only running one track with compression and that's the only effects set up. Even without automation running, Read off, i still get clicks while using compression just by pressing the mute with the mouse. Horrible! Can't seem to figure out why. If i turn compression off it's good. Even if i have the volume of the track real low i still get the clicks. Help Cuhase Guru's!!! Help meeeeeeeeeeee!

Message 4/8             28-Mar-01  @  04:32 AM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

damballah

Link?:  Link

I have a stupid theory. Are you using a fairly high ratio? Try shortening the attack on the compressor, maybe even set it at 0 ms. See if that helps. I'm thinking there's a good chance you're not hitting your unmutes at zero crossings (who can?), which normally ain't a big deal, but high ratio plus a mess of makeup gain is emphasising the natural click that happens when an edit is made at a non-zero crossing.

Maybe once you know which kicks you don't want, go into the waveform and silence them or snip 'em out with the scissors. Then you're not dealing with mute automation.

or compress kick, export the audio, bring it back in and do your muting on an already processed track.

Message 5/8             28-Mar-01  @  04:37 AM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

Brett B

Link?:  Link

in the system box. just a thought, but have you checked plug-in delay compensation? It sysnc automation and latency

Message 6/8             28-Mar-01  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

brad

I fucking hate that non-zero crossing natural click. Fade my edges baby... 

Mr.Wet

Message 7/8             28-Mar-01  @  12:39 PM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

k

you dont say WHICH compressor U using or audio card ??? cos some are toilet - and wassup with all the fucked up cubase forums on the www??, you cant even access the cwu forum to post without an instant error and the other are down... they musta pissed someone off badly... good ol' DT still on it's feet tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             28-Mar-01  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: Compression creates CLICKS=

chrismiller2001

K - I'm using the Cuabse channel compressor with a Lexicon core 2 sound card. Admitedly the Core 2 is not the best card but for the money it's better than haveing an 1/8th inch input. I have tried this witb my soundblaster also with the same results. Even if i don't use mutes but try to bring the gain of the channel all the way down i sill get the Clicks. It seems to only happen if i bring the gain all the way down though, or almost all the way down and then bring back up quickly to imitate a mute. I guess i'm just going to half cut up the damn audio. I so hate chopping audio in Cubase. usually just ends up being a pain in the ass. Oh and i liked the theory on comp ratio's, quite clever, however i tried all different settings to the point where basically the compressor wasn't really doing anything, long attack short attack, didn't make the slightest difference in the clicks. It comes down to this, i'm annoyed because i don't think what i'm asking Cubase to do is out of the ordinary. The compressor is there for each track, has been for a long time and so has the automated mutes. Why don't the work together, i don't think that's too much to ask ya know. Anyone know if i'd just be better off with Logic? One more question, am i the only one that has experienced this because maybe it's just my set up for some reason. Or has just no one ever tried doing this. I have tried this at my computer at work with the same resuts. Seems odd no one else has ever noticed this. Is it crazy to mute a channel thats assigned to a compressor?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)