aaa K - How's hoontech? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-Jul-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: K - How's hoontech?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Original Message                 Date: 15-Aug-00  @  02:57 AM   -   K - How's hoontech?

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

Well... everything still going well? I think i'll have mine tomorrow...
Few quick comments. It's 250 quid here, which is even cheaper than thomann.de (anyone used thomann?)

thanx

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 71/117             30-Aug-00  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

point being

defectorz.. yes.. you have the option to enable that or have a better sync with just one application (or so i was led to believe) you didnt bore me, i was tired..

Message 72/117             30-Aug-00  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

Defector Z

Phunkytek - I have tried to use other applications at the same time but can't do it. It's the limitation of my soundcard. Like if I have my MP3 player going, I can't listen to the ballgame at the same time. Can't open VST and Rebirth at the same time either. I really think its a limitation of the soundcard. It's an old Darla 16bit. The one where the "breakout box" plugs directly into the card so you can't utilize the PCI slots above or below it. Didn't know dick about it at the time...

Message 73/117             31-Aug-00  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

ahem... everybody gather around...

I have a problem with my hoontech!
well nothing biggie but the card stops responding when i leave it unused for some time... I don't know exactly how long but evrytime i've left my computer on and went away for few hours there's no sound at all when i'm back. I don't know if it has got something to do with powersaving settings of my computer. I'm going to try differed settings and watch closely when it goes out.
I don't know if it was same reason but one time my computer didn't wake at all after 3 hours of absence...

claus & K?

Message 74/117             31-Aug-00  @  08:12 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

claus

Link?: Link

ville: never had anything like that. please try to disable power saving completly and see if it still happens. Then contact us (me directly, or use the Q&A page on Hoontech's webserver) with the specs / components of your system. Especially the used mainboard, chipset, other PCI-cards, and so on.

About the multiclient support: we're adding multiclient (several applications can open the same device) for MIDI with one of the next driver updates. For audio, you can use WaveLab (or a similar) at the same time as Cubase (for example) but you cannot use the same physical outputs with both programs at the same time. The card has 12 output channels (8 external, 2 for S/PDIF and 2 from the monitoring channel) so that shouldn't matter.

Message 75/117             01-Sep-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

phunkytek

claus is right , disable any screan saver and any power managment, but don't worry about it if it continues because i have the same problem with other windows apps as well. Windows does not like to sit patiently. Save your work and close the app. I also restart my system if i have been useing other apps that are media related before i begin a new session.this reloads drivers and initializes all the hardware for glich free operation.

Also, Defector, You should have no problem launching rebirth with cubase if you have ver 2.01 of rebirth since it uses rewire and plugs all the rebirth instruments and drum sounds right into the vst mixer as their own tracks. I do see what you mean though. You do need to have a multy bus sound card to allowcate to diferant programs. I tried to use dream station pluged into an unused bus on my ds2416, and used hubie's loopback as the midi link and it was out of time, so i stick to hard ware synths. I prefer the tactile control, and zero latency.

Message 76/117             01-Sep-00  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

Defector Z

Yeah - I finally got Rebirth (why the F*UCK don't I use that program more?!) to operate with Rewire a couple of months ago. I was trying to get some audio synched up with MIDI (rewire) and gave up. I'm just not patient enought, I guess. But my soundcard does not have separate buses. Looks like the Hoontech does. Some audio ins 1+2 are the only ones with the preamp? Okay. I have to check my mixer to see what I am sending out from the various output channels.

Message 77/117             01-Sep-00  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

k

ok....

1. with rebirth etc you can route it from VST mixer to it's own dedicated output pair on the rack to then route out to a hardware mixer alongside the other outs

2. although for windoze the outs are fixed as pairs, in VST if you make your tracks mono on the track-headers/mixer they then work as mono outs, allowing each front rack line-input to act as a mono input controlled by it's allocated vst channel in the VST mixer...

3. you can open your editor or run windoze media etc all at the same time as your multitrack is running on the rack etc... If you are using all 8 outs, then just set the card's monitor out as your output for your editor, then you can tweak & tune your loops to your hearts content before re-importing them into your multitrack etc

4. yes.. you can plug OUTBOARD kit into the rack, add RREALTIME VST fx and mix it all on the vst mixer, in this case you monitor in stereo.... if you want to, you can at anytime stick a track into record and record the outboard coming in on that track/channel... on playback, the fx & mixer moves etc play just the same but processing the file rather than incoming audio...

5. for mixing on outboard mixer with seperate outs, do your tracking and recording using the vst special asio drivers to get realtime monitoring fx if needed, then record the parts you want to mix on outboard... switch vst to use the mme drivers so you can access multi-outs... mix (in this case the latency is higher, BUT you are not using realtime fx, the fx are only added for playback, so you can apply vst fx and also assign tracks/subs to dedicated outs... at the same time you can have a master mix going to stereo analog balanced xlr out, or s/pdif etc...

6.if you like to work totally in hardware using outboard hardware fx, utilising the PC as if it were a traditional tape multitrack, then use the DSP card 'applet' to route the rack IN's direct across 'bridged' to the racks outs (link audio In-to-OUt)... then all incoming rack audio on channels 1-8 (line/mic in's) passes across to it's corresponding output direct with no latency - that way you can use it with an inline mixer, adding hardware FX .. BUT should you wish to record an input or combi of inputs, simply activate the VST inputs for that channel, and record... so in that scenario it works JUST like a tape machine working 'off-tape' monitoring where you add fx to the signal AFTER it passes across the record medium.. that way, ANY track recorded, when played back, will sound exactly the same with the same fx you setup for monitoring (old 'tape' lag's will know what i mean here, and if you like to work that way, this is perfect) this obviously is critical to do seamless drop-in's whilst monitoring FX are in place

so you can work TOTALLY is s/w needing NO other equipment as all fx etc are in realtime using the asio drivers & monitoring in stereo, and even the rack has a monitor headphone socket so you are 'self-contained'.)... or, work with outboard fx, or a combi of both s/w & outboard hardware fx

latency on my mmx box is running at 8ms...

Regarding the 'pro-tools' comments.... now dont think this is pro-tools in terms of quality (although, as you know if you've been round DT long enuff, i always maintain that 'quality' in this sense in dance is totally subjective)... VST fx wont get the same quality as pro-tools dsp farm fx or eq's etc.. BUT yes, the principal is the same & for what most home studio users are after, it's spot-on and in that scenario, yes, as good as pro-tools from a 'Method of working' point of view (but NOT quality of sound & fx from a purely 'spec' based point of view) but then hellfire, pro-tools is ALOT more expensive so be realistic!! - we are talking like a 300 quid i/o system here !!...

so yes, like pro-tools, you can plug IN to the rack, add realtime fx in vst etc... track & mix... 4 racks max to one card, and yes... ha, you CAN even stack 4 cards too, all controllable via the same single s/w app interface - that potentially gives you 4 racks x 10 I/O x 4 cards...um... that's er... 160 inputs/outputs on one pc !!! (dunno how multiple cards work the PC's irq's tho perhaps Claus can advise here)

pluggin in a guitar?... yes of course, plugin from a line-level out on your combo, or a rack pre-amp or pedal etc to a line-in on the rack ... add realtime vst fx... record.. mix...

Message 78/117             01-Sep-00  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

Dizzy

Hey K, Sorry if youve answered this before but can the inputs be recorded with the plugin FX in place, ie, a compressor on a synth, or are they switched off when recording and then turned on again to mix.
Also you said to drop you a mail about buying it, which if you meant the DT contact mail, I've done a few days ago.

Message 79/117             02-Sep-00  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

jdifool

Ok, now I know I can mix external gear's signal with regular audio in VST with no delay.... Yes!!! That's great!
Now the next question is about softsynth like Reaktor and others, how can I make them go into the VST mixer if they don't support Rewire??? Pulsar provide some kind of virtual audio port, the synth choose it as an audio output and the mixer as an input. A bit like Virtual Audio Cable but without any latency... Any other way??

Message 80/117             02-Sep-00  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: K - How's hoontech?

claus

Dizzy: of course this depends on the used software. Speaking about Cubase VST, you can record the signal while you monitor it with effects. As long as you don't change the effect setting, you can keep it and mix it down to a new track. That all happens inside Cubase and has nothing to do with the DSP24 card ... (except that you can listen to it with 8ms of latency).

jdifool: basically, that problem does not really exist as there are very few software synthesizers out there that do not support ReWire or (better!) exist as a VST plugin. Reaktor works perfectly as VST plugin inside Cubase VST 3.7/5.0 or Logic Audio 4.5 as example (it's the same for LM-4, B4, PPG Wave, VAZ Modular, etc.). Standalone Reaktor uses ASIO for multi-channel output. A 'virtual cable' like Pulsar provides it is not needed in such a case. Softsynths that only support DirectSound can be played through the monitor output at the same time the card is accessed by your Audio-/MIDI-Sequencer.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

There are 117 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)