aaa that UAD1 card - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-Jun-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: that UAD1 card

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             28-Oct-02  @  02:10 AM   -   that UAD1 card

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I was chatting with a guy today who uses it in a 1ghz pc with VST and he says he has to ofset the tracks not using it 9delay them) cos it has latency... ewwww.. is that the case with all pc's/soundcards regardless of power/driver quality - he said they had to give up using the reverb, but thecomps were great... i'm not sure he'd used a 2gh or above athlon tho with s/w hi-end comp's to compare... doesn't sound so good anyways... I heard there was some latancy problems from some other reviews - were they saying the latency was pci bus based?...

he was using a yammy dsp card with the breakoutbox thing.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             28-Oct-02  @  04:33 AM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

psylichon

Link?: Link

well geez there's your problem. I have the yammie DSP piece of shit and the best latency I can get in Sonar is 11 ms and even then the audio engine stops frequently. I usually double that if I'm not tracking a soft synth.

The DSP Factory has serious driver issues and I'm sure that couldn't have helped the review. It is interesting if others are having the problem though.

psylichon

Message 3/9             28-Oct-02  @  05:47 AM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

influx

yes. plugin delay compensation. ends up being roughly twice your system latency...

only on sends and busses, and its really not a big deal to compensate.

one question...why would you not be able to use reverb? I mean..Im at 5s...so 10ms predelay...no big...wouldnt even be able to hear it!

I dig the compressors and the preflex/nigel. other stuff is tight and nice sounding too...

for $600? shiiiit

Message 4/9             04-Nov-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

99devils

I tend to not use the Yammie card for any of its mixing features. I do sometimes use the effects..

Psylichon, do you know if there's a way to automate the faders on the DSP Factory?

-Craig

Message 5/9             04-Nov-02  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

psylichon

i agree. I don't use the compressors or eqs at all. The UI is terrible, and the sound is similar. It's nice having two hardware reverbs though, and I do use them almost every mix.

As far as I know, there's no automation of the AudioX console. Man, that's a format that just never took off. They made a big todo about it (audiox! audiox! everyone's doin' it!) and then only made one shitty version of an AudioX console for an underdeveloped, discontinued card. yay!

psylichon

Message 6/9             04-Nov-02  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

psylichon

...but I'll never trash the thing because I'm holding on to the hopes that some brilliant mind will reverse-engineer this thing and allow you to run native plugins on it. There's a LOT of DSP on this card! I wonder how it compares in raw MIPS to the UAD...

psylichon

Message 7/9             05-Nov-02  @  03:07 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

99devils

I would use the comps on it but the metering is awful.. It's hard to tell when it's clipping. Same with the EQ, although there isn't a clip meter at all on that.. That C-sound proggie for it looks like it solves all those problems but it waslike $1000 last I checked.

wasted potential  

-Craig

Message 8/9             08-Nov-02  @  06:20 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

brett

Link?:  No link

influx, I am little hazzy on the compensation thing. I have been thinking of getting this card and keeping a native system. So if you could explain exactly what you have to do in a track to correct the issue i would apreciate it.

I was aware that it was the grouped tracks, but I have always noticed a problem with them syncing up since delay compensation doesn't work on grouped tracks. But what about the sends you mentioned?

Message 9/9             10-Nov-02  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: that UAD1 card

influx

theres delay on sends, too...

so you put the PDC plugin on the tracks that arent using actual plugs and it lines up

no probs on inserts. groups need PDC too...

I havent even used it cuz the only thing i use sends for is the reverb so far...everything else I just insert or process offline...

its a damn fine card, man.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)